blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:43:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1436 1437 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 1443 1444 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180683 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21585 on: October 20, 2019, 08:32:16 AM »

please pop a link up for who wrote that. market commentary from a trading team i assume

meanwhile the "unsigned letter" hoax and misdirection gave Number 10 cover for its significant climbdown

on we go

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21586 on: October 20, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »

Assuming there is a meaningful vote this week, I thought it was on a knife edge with Johnson probably just getting over the line.

Is the view now that he’s likely to lose it?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21587 on: October 20, 2019, 08:48:00 AM »

Only my opinion, i think he wins it

Here is the latest FT analysis

analysis after Saturday’s vote suggests Boris Johnson may have a Commons majority of 5 for his Brexit deal.

Assuming MPs vote along the same patterns whenever his deal returns, the PM may still triumph.

Analysis of the arithmetic https://ft.com/content/513fddb4-f28b-11e9-a79c-bc9acae3b654

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21588 on: October 20, 2019, 08:49:08 AM »

New supplementary post on Grey's Brexit Blog with a quick analysis of today's events, what they tell us about the underlying politics of Brexit, and why there is no prospect to an end to uncertainty, whatever now happens.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-day-that-decided-nothing.html

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21589 on: October 20, 2019, 08:51:13 AM »

one comment said

"Boris Johnson threw the DUP under the bus. The DUP found the keys to the bus and drove off."

Jonathan Powell: DUP justifiably aggrieved over Brexit deal

https://irishtimes.com/opinion/jonathan-powell-dup-justifiably-aggrieved-over-brexit-deal-1.4055358

the post yesterday where the DUP say they might supoort a second referendum didn't get any interest, but it might be hugely significant. 10 vote swing in parliament might make any amendment on that very close

My eyes are open wide
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21590 on: October 20, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »

The twitter account @remainernow, for those who abstained or voted leave in 2016 and would vote remain now has 41,700 followers

https://twitter.com/RemainerNow/status/1185217679210229761?s=19

I look forward to the excel spreadsheet with 417,000 names on it.

I jest, but there are plenty who have changed their minds (and some remainers who would now vote leave on democratic grounds, to be fair)

To call it a bullshit argument lacks nuance, to put it pomitely

What about people who didn't vote originally? I'm one of them and I'd vote leave now on democratic grounds.

I'd also vote conservative on the grounds that JC is a f**kwit.

Saying you’d vote for democratic reasons is the silliest and most hypocritical thing ever

You’d vote remain in a heartbeat if it suited your narrative and offered you incentives

You're such a tool.

Wow. A one sentence reply. Great.

It’s like those one sentence replies that leave voters use like “Brexit means Brexit” because they have the inability or brain capacity to make an intelligent argument for leaving the EU.

Well done mate.

Don't say you didn't ask for this:

You're an unintelligent individual who is only capable of judging others by his own low standards.

You've made myriad assumptions about me and decided that I'm silly and hypocritical. At this point you might like to refer back to my previous comment about 'own low standards'?

How dare you tell me how I'd vote in any given set of circumstances and expect a reasoned response?

"You’d vote remain in a heartbeat if it suited your narrative and offered you incentives"       Well duh..... yeah........ Of course I f**king would....... In exactly the same way that you'd vote leave if it suited your narrative and offered you incentives.

How on earth does that make me hypocritical? Do you even know what the word means?

Cliffs: You're a tool.

I wouldn’t go round cAlling people unintelligent, given that you choose to vote for democracy rather than reasons from either campaign.

That’s not intelligent at all.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21591 on: October 20, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »

Aaron please pack it in

You are not the arbiter of why someone chooses to vote the way they wish

simply its enough of casting aspersions on people's intelligence, implying all leavers are racists too

Please stop

My eyes are open wide
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21592 on: October 20, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »

Aaron please pack it in

You are not the arbiter of why someone chooses to vote the way they wish

simply its enough of casting aspersions on people's intelligence, implying all leavers are racists too

Please stop

I have never implied all brexit voters are racist, I have simply shared what is the public feeling and in the media. We all know that not all brexit voters are racist. But we all know that all racists voted for Brexit. Ironically it's always the leave voters that choose to share hateful stuff about Diane Abbott

As for intelligence, again, something else shared by the public and media about how they percieve leave voters

I am simply doing exactly what you do - Sharing stuff from media
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21593 on: October 20, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »

No Aaron you are not, you are being consistently unpleasant and hateful

You are twisting what you think the media say, without links to back it up

Please stop.

My eyes are open wide
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21594 on: October 20, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »

However, I do find it silly and hypocritical of anyone who choose to vote one way or the other because of "democracy". I very much doubt that democracy would come into it if one side of the argument offered them huge incentives to do so, they wouldn't be thinking about democracy then. People should be voting for what is important to them and their family, not this silly democracy argument, because what is more democratic than asking the public again?

As for the current situation, it's shameful. I think this country would be happy for a delay if there was some plan to get to a final decision, or the EU responding with an extesnion if a vote is to happen.

There is a worrying side to all off this, I've said this over and over but I fear that public disorder is going to get worse if nothing is sorted. Remainers embarrassing themselves yesterday with their response to MP's outside of parliament.

I worry about response if Brexit is stopped or no deal is forced upon this country. Getting it done is not the end of it.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21595 on: October 20, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »

It was good to watch Oliver Letwin represent his own motivations for yesterday's amendment on Marr today.

It was easy to think of it as more game playing (at least I thought that) but he had a good solid rationale that seemed to come from a position of integrity, conviction and concern for the national interest

sola virtus nobilitat
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #21596 on: October 20, 2019, 01:00:36 PM »

one comment said

"Boris Johnson threw the DUP under the bus. The DUP found the keys to the bus and drove off."

Jonathan Powell: DUP justifiably aggrieved over Brexit deal

https://irishtimes.com/opinion/jonathan-powell-dup-justifiably-aggrieved-over-brexit-deal-1.4055358

the post yesterday where the DUP say they might supoort a second referendum didn't get any interest, but it might be hugely significant. 10 vote swing in parliament might make any amendment on that very close

Tighty....I cant seem to find any "analysis" on the referendum question. Almost everyone seems to say it should be  " remain v an agreed deal".  How does that get through the electoral commission ? Apart from alot of people saying they will boycott the vote....how is it anywhere near a fair question compared to remain v leave ?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21597 on: October 20, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »

I don't think I have seen any. It's the big downside of the referendum question, how can the question be fairly set, particularly without splitting the leave vote.

Perhaps the best solution might be leave with this deal versus leave with No Deal, and no remain option.

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21598 on: October 20, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »

I don't think I have seen any. It's the big downside of the referendum question, how can the question be fairly set, particularly without splitting the leave vote.

Perhaps the best solution might be leave with this deal versus leave with No Deal, and no remain option.

One option was a question of leave or stay with a secondary question for leave voters of no deal or BJ deal.

That seemed to cover most bases (we don’t need another though).
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21599 on: October 20, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »

One option was a question of leave or stay with a secondary question for leave voters of no deal or BJ deal.

That seemed to cover most bases (we don’t need another though).

This seems like the best option. I did see someone suggest that perhaps it could be held over many days with many options.
Pages: 1 ... 1436 1437 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 1443 1444 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: