blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:17:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 1483 1484 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2181069 times)
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #22185 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »

Even if we grant that the manifesto was coated, the add-ons have already started. Billions for the waspi women added on as an election bung.

They will cater to the unions. Their spending will be even more out of control

A wise man once said no-one spends other people's money as wisely as they spend their own.

Labour are a danger to the poor.

The biggest winners will be the middle.classes. the idea they will do anything for the poorest is woefully misguided.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22186 on: November 24, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »

for every pound the Conservatives are pledging to spend on the current budget by 2023/24, Labour will spend over £28.

For every pound.

Astonishing.  difference between the two major parties

The thing is that the Tories have put people into Austerity and Labour are trying to pull people out from under the car. Labour's plan is costed too and economists don't say it'll bankrupt us.

I think I hheard on Sky News earlier that daily spending for Tories is £3bn and Labour £95bn.

Labour - "Our manifesto is fully costed"

Also Labour - "We'll spend another £58bn on WASPI women pensions, which wasn't in our fully costed manifesto.  We're not counting this as expenditure, as it's a one-off settlement"

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22187 on: November 24, 2019, 08:58:53 PM »

for every pound the Conservatives are pledging to spend on the current budget by 2023/24, Labour will spend over £28.

For every pound.

The thing is that the Tories have put people into Austerity and Labour are trying to pull people out from under the car. Labour's plan is costed too and economists don't say it'll bankrupt us.

I think I hheard on Sky News earlier that daily spending for Tories is £3bn and Labour £95bn.

Labour - "Our manifesto is fully costed"

Also Labour - "We'll spend another £58bn on WASPI women pensions, which wasn't in our fully costed manifesto.  We're not counting this as expenditure, as it's a one-off settlement"

tbf this announcement is ridicilous. Btw why do you want a hung parliament?
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #22188 on: November 24, 2019, 09:12:57 PM »

For every pound.

It's a misleading statistic, though. It's because the Conservatives are proposing to increase spending by virtually nothing (0.3%), so any actual increase will be a significant multiple of that.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #22189 on: November 24, 2019, 11:08:39 PM »

Today’s announcement of the uncosted £58bn is the icing on the cake. Policy making on the hoof. Total madness.

Jezza lurched them so far left, they have to be unelectable for a long time to come. Even if Corbyn goes there is unlikely to be a moderate anywhere near the leadership.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22190 on: November 25, 2019, 01:41:21 AM »

Today’s announcement of the uncosted £58bn is the icing on the cake. Policy making on the hoof. Total madness.

Jezza lurched them so far left, they have to be unelectable for a long time to come. Even if Corbyn goes there is unlikely to be a moderate anywhere near the leadership.

When you run down the list of prominent shadow cabinet names it's really hard to see a leader in waiting if you write off the obvious Starmer, I can't count him as I don't find him an appealing type.

Beyond that I quite like Ashworth and Gwynne and Andy Mcdonald always seems game and good value but doubt he's up for leader. Further down the page you get Valerie Vaz and John Healey but doubt either of them think of leadership. Of the women, the only one I find tolerable is Angela Rayner but imagine she's behind the naive and depressing Long Bailey and Pidcock.

sola virtus nobilitat
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #22191 on: November 25, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »

When you run down the list of prominent shadow cabinet names it's really hard to see a leader in waiting if you write off the obvious Starmer, I can't count him as I don't find him an appealing type.

Beyond that I quite like Ashworth and Gwynne and Andy Mcdonald always seems game and good value but doubt he's up for leader. Further down the page you get Valerie Vaz and John Healey but doubt either of them think of leadership. Of the women, the only one I find tolerable is Angela Rayner but imagine she's behind the naive and depressing Long Bailey and Pidcock.

I find Rayner horrendous.  Just loudly repeats pre-prepared party lines and unable to adapt or engage with an interviewer.  Abbot makes her gaffes but she still comes across as intelligent but Rayner just comes across as hectoring, loud and dense.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #22192 on: November 25, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »

Just seen Chris Moncrieff passed away a few days ago.

Always seemed to be a journalist respected across all the parties and a thoroughly decent bloke.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22193 on: November 25, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »

I find Rayner horrendous.  Just loudly repeats pre-prepared party lines and unable to adapt or engage with an interviewer.  Abbot makes her gaffes but she still comes across as intelligent but Rayner just comes across as hectoring, loud and dense.
On Marr yesterday she certainly did that but it's campaign time. Normally I don't find her too bad

sola virtus nobilitat
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22194 on: November 25, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »

tbf this announcement is ridicilous. Btw why do you want a hung parliament?

Because BoJo and Corbyn are equally unfit to be PM, but we'll have to suffer one of them, regardless.

If that's the case, then I want it to be in a minority government which won't survive a 5 year term.  Ideally the new Parliament needs to have more Lib Dem / SNP / Green / PC MPs and fewer Tory and Labour ones than the previous one.  That gives us the most likely route to a 2nd Referendum on Brexit which doesn't rely on Labour's fudged position, and a potential need for a super-majority under their vague proposals.

Longer term, I want a GE as early as possible where we've got a more moderate Labour Party, led by a non-imbecile, as the alternative option.  That possibly may not happen within 5 years, given how entrenched the far-left are within the NEC, CLPs, etc, but there's a better chance of it happening if the country refuses to endorse Corbyn once again.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #22195 on: November 25, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »

Labour has suddenly found another 58 Billion under the bed today.

"we will get above 30% in the polls"...."we will get above.......

As a person born in the 60s I struggle with women born in the 50s should get their pension 7 years earlier than I can.   Surely fairness dictates women born in the 60s get pensions from 60 too, because some of them weren't paying attention too?  and so on...  and surely those born recently are in more need of earlier pensions as they are less likely to get final salary pensions?

I assume they only ever got pensions earlier because of sexism, and not because of some great analysis of income inequality before pension age.   I am a bit more relaxed about women getting pensions longer through outliving me.

I agree except that you know when you will get your pension and would probably suffer if you were told you had to wait another 5/6 years just before you retired.

It was announced over 20 years ago, not just before they retired.  My own pension was pushed from 65 to 67.   It was an inequality that should have been resolved a long time ago.   Barber vs GRE, which lead to company pension scheme equalisation, was nearly 30 years ago. 

Oh I didn't realise they had 20 years notice.

What are they to be compensated for then?

Because they think it is a vote winner?

The alternative answer is that some of them say they didn't know.   As I said earlier, there are bound to be women now who don't realise their pension age is 65, and others who don't realise it is 67 or 68.   Where do we draw the line?   If people are in genuine hardship, the state benefit system should step in.  If the state isn't helping people in that position that is an issue with the benefit system, and the recent cuts, and not with state pensions. 

I just don't think the state should be stepping in and compensating everybody in one particular age group and sex.   Around the same number of people born in the 70s will be destitute when 60 as people born in the 50s.  It will happen to many men as well as women and so on.  With the collapse in jobs for life and private sector final salary pensions, I don't think it will get better.  The reality is that much of this compensation will be paid by people who won't get to retire until their late 60s, and who are already on the hook for the excesses of the very generation who want this compensation.

Absolutely this.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #22196 on: November 25, 2019, 02:01:34 PM »

On Marr yesterday she certainly did that but it's campaign time. Normally I don't find her too bad

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/11/25/we-could-be-just-18-days-away-from-the-next-lab-leadership-contest/
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #22197 on: November 25, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »

Why is Yvette Cooper so long? Well established moderate, touted as a possible leader for the temporary cross party unity proposal from a couple of months ago. Worth a stab at 14/1-15/1?
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #22198 on: November 25, 2019, 02:51:04 PM »

the labour membership wont elect a moderate
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22199 on: November 25, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »

What happens if Tories end up with 310-320 Tory MP’s?
Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 1483 1484 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: