blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530736 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: January 17, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »

All good on the DL this morning. Nothing overly impressive but 5 x 8 @ 60kg works for me quite nicely. Just focussed on keeping tight and maintaining 100% form for every single rep. I'm sure I could shift significantly more weight but I'm determined to stay light and build up slowly. Hopefully this will pay dividends long term when I get towards heavier weights.

Started with leg press, in to RDL in to the DL in to 10 minutes of stretching to cool down. Liking this routine for the moment.

I'm tempted to do this routine twice per week and leave squats out for now. It's obviously working legs anyway and will help get some volume in to keep improving the form. I think getting some volume in will also help my conditioning on these a lot as well. After a set of 8 at 60kg I feel pretty fatigued even bordering on slightly dizzy. It's obviously my body not being used to maintaining that tightness combined with holding my breath combined with picking a lump of weight up off the floor.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: January 17, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »

Felt strong today and went in really tired.

3x5 Bench 85/87/5/90 and felt plenty left which is good

3x8 DB press at 34 felt easy too

3x8 OAR 48, I went chalk-less and felt ok. Probably on for 50s next week.

Similar for me feeling really tired after about 3 hours sleep. I always seem to sleep badly on a Sunday after my lazy weekend so maybe Monday isn't the best for my bench day. Might have a re-think there.

Still got my 5 x 5 @ 90kg and 3 x 3 @ 95kg reasonably easily. The warm up on this routine is pretty intense and I think once I get used to that the bench will get even easier.

Just about managed to squeeze in some BOR up to 80kg which were tough as well as some light OHP which were bordering on impossible and finally some pull ups which were an absolute catastrophe. Can safely say I worked hard this morning Cheesy

DL tomorrow. Going to bump the weight up a touch and see how they go. Will report back in a few hours.....

Dread to think how poor I would be on 3 hours sleep.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: January 17, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »

All good on the DL this morning. Nothing overly impressive but 5 x 8 @ 60kg works for me quite nicely. Just focussed on keeping tight and maintaining 100% form for every single rep. I'm sure I could shift significantly more weight but I'm determined to stay light and build up slowly. Hopefully this will pay dividends long term when I get towards heavier weights.

Started with leg press, in to RDL in to the DL in to 10 minutes of stretching to cool down. Liking this routine for the moment.

I'm tempted to do this routine twice per week and leave squats out for now. It's obviously working legs anyway and will help get some volume in to keep improving the form. I think getting some volume in will also help my conditioning on these a lot as well. After a set of 8 at 60kg I feel pretty fatigued even bordering on slightly dizzy. It's obviously my body not being used to maintaining that tightness combined with holding my breath combined with picking a lump of weight up off the floor.

Maintaining tension is pretty tough, but just like anything you get used to it pretty good. Sets of 8 DLs are really tough though, 5 is pushing my limit for conditioning for now.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »

DLs today

3x5 150/155/160- 150 felt really solid, 160 felt effoooort

4x5 Front Squats for speed. I. Am. So. Slow. Really annoying

Farmers carries, still at 44 and grip went quicker today than last week.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: January 18, 2017, 02:34:57 AM »

Front squats really shouldn't be about speed mate.  They should be more to do with control. 

If you want to work on speed add in power cleans and dip into a squat.  Even doing full cleans/power cleans off blocks if you have any?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: January 18, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »

Front squats really shouldn't be about speed mate.  They should be more to do with control. 

If you want to work on speed add in power cleans and dip into a squat.  Even doing full cleans/power cleans off blocks if you have any?

I really wish I had a gym with blocks, they are really useful!

I am doing it for control too, I just want more power/control/stability coming out of the hole in the squat. I do agree in terms of needing control though, I am just doing them at 50s at basically using BB tempo 4-1-1-0 so I wouldn't call it 'speed' work. Its just light so speed makes me feel better about myself Smiley
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 18, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »

I really wish I had a gym with blocks, they are really useful!

I am doing it for control too, I just want more power/control/stability coming out of the hole in the squat. I do agree in terms of needing control though, I am just doing them at 50s at basically using BB tempo 4-1-1-0 so I wouldn't call it 'speed' work. Its just light so speed makes me feel better about myself Smiley

Calling them your 'volume' or 'cardio' work should also help justify the piddling weights you're playing with Wink

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 19, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »

Haha, very true.

Rightly or wrongly I never pay too much attention to tempo. As long as I am in control of the weight, I am happy. But really want to focus on being strong at the bottom of most movements, so pauses/speed/BB tempo reps are going to sneak into my training now and again. DL pauses will have to come in at some point, but they are just so hard.

Upper today, so some dead stop rows and OHP today.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »

Rows felt really good again today, 3 lots at 90.

Even bumped the OHP to 52.5.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: January 19, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »

Tried squatting with bare feet today for the first time ever which felt good. My grip is letting me down on deadlifts though, i'm confident i have the strength to lift the weight but my hands won't co-operate which is pretty annoying. One guy at the gym has a theory on this that the barbells we have just don't have much purchase when deadlifting. Given we only have 2 barbells in the whole place maybe he's right. Anyway I need to start hanging off some stuff at the end of my sessions to rectify this.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »

Maintaining tension is pretty tough, but just like anything you get used to it pretty good. Sets of 8 DLs are really tough though, 5 is pushing my limit for conditioning for now.

Did the same deadlift routine again this morning but for 5 x 10 @ 60kg instead of the 5 x 8 earlier in the week. Actually felt easier than Tuesday, probably due to eating more yesterday and also having a bit more sleep last night.

My plan is to increase these incredibly slowly to maybe get up to some decent numbers mid to long term. I was watching a video that said you need to repeat a movement approximately 300 times to learn it but 3000 times to re-learn it if you're changing it at all. 100 reps per week should help with this so I should be pretty decent by the time I get heavier and have to cut the reps back.

Going to bump up to 65kg next week, stick with two sessions per week and then increase 5kg every week and just see what happens.

Accessory day tomorrow

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: January 20, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »

Did the same deadlift routine again this morning but for 5 x 10 @ 60kg instead of the 5 x 8 earlier in the week. Actually felt easier than Tuesday, probably due to eating more yesterday and also having a bit more sleep last night.

My plan is to increase these incredibly slowly to maybe get up to some decent numbers mid to long term. I was watching a video that said you need to repeat a movement approximately 300 times to learn it but 3000 times to re-learn it if you're changing it at all. 100 reps per week should help with this so I should be pretty decent by the time I get heavier and have to cut the reps back.

Going to bump up to 65kg next week, stick with two sessions per week and then increase 5kg every week and just see what happens.

Accessory day tomorrow

I think they are conservative estimates to be honest. I think a movement can take 1000-3000 reps to learn, and maybe as much as 10,000 depending on how long the reps been done a certain way.

5kg every week is pretty big. If I could add 100kg every 6 months I would be happy!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: January 20, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »

Tried squatting with bare feet today for the first time ever which felt good. My grip is letting me down on deadlifts though, i'm confident i have the strength to lift the weight but my hands won't co-operate which is pretty annoying. One guy at the gym has a theory on this that the barbells we have just don't have much purchase when deadlifting. Given we only have 2 barbells in the whole place maybe he's right. Anyway I need to start hanging off some stuff at the end of my sessions to rectify this.

Such a shoeless training fan.

Farmers walks for grip is pretty good, and pretty good all round conditioning/leg work. Barbells definitely lose grip the older they are.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 20, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »

Accessory day tomorrow

I think they are conservative estimates to be honest. I think a movement can take 1000-3000 reps to learn, and maybe as much as 10,000 depending on how long the reps been done a certain way.

5kg every week is pretty big. If I could add 100kg every 6 months I would be happy!

Yeah I agree. Fortunately as I've never really done deadlifts I haven't learnt any bad habits so hopefully I'm somewhere in the middle.

5kg should be fine for a while as I'm starting so light. It'll take 8 weeks to get up to 100kg by which time I'll be approaching 1000 reps total so hopefully pretty good at them by then. Should still be good for 5 x 10 at that sort of weight so I should still have room to manoeuvre both with weight and also reducing reps meaning 5kg will still be attainable for a little while longer.

I can't see me having to reduce the rate of increase until I get to 140kg or so by which time I imagine volume will have dropped off a bit. At that stage I'd probably look to doing a light volume day and a heavy day for a few months and just see how it goes from there.

With this and my bench goals I've got a fun few months ahead. Just need to stay injury free......

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: January 20, 2017, 08:23:21 PM »

Accessory day tomorrow

Yeah I agree. Fortunately as I've never really done deadlifts I haven't learnt any bad habits so hopefully I'm somewhere in the middle.

5kg should be fine for a while as I'm starting so light. It'll take 8 weeks to get up to 100kg by which time I'll be approaching 1000 reps total so hopefully pretty good at them by then. Should still be good for 5 x 10 at that sort of weight so I should still have room to manoeuvre both with weight and also reducing reps meaning 5kg will still be attainable for a little while longer.

I can't see me having to reduce the rate of increase until I get to 140kg or so by which time I imagine volume will have dropped off a bit. At that stage I'd probably look to doing a light volume day and a heavy day for a few months and just see how it goes from there.

With this and my bench goals I've got a fun few months ahead. Just need to stay injury free......

What number, KG, do you reckon you drop the reps at?

For sure, wonder what week the DL overtakes the bench too!?
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: