blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530879 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2100 on: April 24, 2017, 06:20:58 PM »

I've done something to my neck, and hardly slept since Saturday.

Getting a shooting pain down the left hand side of it and into my traps, if I turn further than 11/1 either way from centre.

Hopefully it'll settle down over the next few days, and I won't miss very many sessions, but annoying all the same.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: April 25, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

Slingshot seems a serious winner? I always think that about most lifts, what could we do if we just stayed in the right bloody position. Defo think its a good idea though, seems like a great way to reduce the risk of injury. Does it pinch the skin or fit well?

First impressions are that it's brilliant although I've only done 5 reps in total so far. Those 5 were my heavy sets though and I think combined with new wrist wraps and shoulder cuffs helped make it possible to train back/shoulders the following day. I usually get quite a lot of elbow, wrist and shoulder pain after a big bench session so I'm really happy so far.

Shoulder/back session yesterday was quite tough. I did some machine shoulder press and I can really feel it in my delts. They haven't felt like this for ages so obviously haven't been hitting them much. I think it was the shoulder press that did it because of the angle compared to OHP but it could also be the slingshot forcing my elbows in on the bench.

I think I got the size just about right so it fits well and doesn't pinch and doesn't pinch at all.

Let me know when you can make it for a session and I'll bring it along for you to have a go. Doesn't have to be a PR session (although it'll probably turn in to one......)

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: April 27, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »

Slingshot seems a serious winner? I always think that about most lifts, what could we do if we just stayed in the right bloody position. Defo think its a good idea though, seems like a great way to reduce the risk of injury. Does it pinch the skin or fit well?

First impressions are that it's brilliant although I've only done 5 reps in total so far. Those 5 were my heavy sets though and I think combined with new wrist wraps and shoulder cuffs helped make it possible to train back/shoulders the following day. I usually get quite a lot of elbow, wrist and shoulder pain after a big bench session so I'm really happy so far.

Shoulder/back session yesterday was quite tough. I did some machine shoulder press and I can really feel it in my delts. They haven't felt like this for ages so obviously haven't been hitting them much. I think it was the shoulder press that did it because of the angle compared to OHP but it could also be the slingshot forcing my elbows in on the bench.

I think I got the size just about right so it fits well and doesn't pinch and doesn't pinch at all.

Let me know when you can make it for a session and I'll bring it along for you to have a go. Doesn't have to be a PR session (although it'll probably turn in to one......)

Definitely up for giving it a go. Will see where I am at over the next few weekends. Can just do some pyramid sets and culminate in some 1's. I think Sean is pretty keen to jump in too if he can make it.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: April 27, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »

Starting to feel quite good. I've surpassed my previous barbell row PB for 5x5, closing in on my highest ever squat and deadlift numbers, and today i got 5x5 chin ups too with good form which is something i've never achieved before. I've been focused on chins in particular and the progress is pretty satisfying.

My chest remains a weak point. Some YT videos led me to slightly adjust my technique on the bench press and i've added cables as an accessory. I'm not very strong though, and find most people's ability to warm up with a 60kg bench borderline magical. I'm not sure why i'm so far behind/naturally weak in this area. Genes i guess.

Diet has been as good as it's ever been and i'm prepping my meals on an almost daily basis. Generally grilled chicken and brown rice, broccoli, and whatever sauce i want to put on, supplemented with 2 protein shakes a day. As it is if i do feel like having a Mcd's i don't stop myself, and i find this approach so much better for my mindset than if i deliberately restricted myself to a cheat meal every Friday or something. The cravings for junk have definitely gone down overall anyway, and i used to eat 3 takeout meals a day not too long ago Cheesy
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: April 28, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

Apologies to MTN but I got a 130kg double out on the bench this morning.

I wasn't planning on anything too heavy but 120kg moved so easily I thought I'd grab a spotter and see what happened with 130kg.

First rep moved really well but unfortunately he wasn't a great spotter and he grabbed the bar underhanded pulling it towards himself which messed up my bar path making rep two really tough. Pretty sure 140kg was on the cards if I wanted it but I was pre-fatigued having done 8 at 100 so I left it at that.

Good day on the bench Smiley

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: April 28, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »

Very beastly Evil, well done.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: April 28, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »

Keep at it mate, you WILL get better.

I was stuck at 100kg for as long as I can remember an it's only very recently that I've pushed some decent numbers for my size.

How much can you do at the moment? How do you think your strength is on triceps and shoulders? Do you consider them to be weak too because they're huge contributors to your bench.

Also do you really want to push out a decent bench press or are you happy as you are? It's not the end of the world after all.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: April 28, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »

Starting to feel quite good. I've surpassed my previous barbell row PB for 5x5, closing in on my highest ever squat and deadlift numbers, and today i got 5x5 chin ups too with good form which is something i've never achieved before. I've been focused on chins in particular and the progress is pretty satisfying.

My chest remains a weak point. Some YT videos led me to slightly adjust my technique on the bench press and i've added cables as an accessory. I'm not very strong though, and find most people's ability to warm up with a 60kg bench borderline magical. I'm not sure why i'm so far behind/naturally weak in this area. Genes i guess.

Diet has been as good as it's ever been and i'm prepping my meals on an almost daily basis. Generally grilled chicken and brown rice, broccoli, and whatever sauce i want to put on, supplemented with 2 protein shakes a day. As it is if i do feel like having a Mcd's i don't stop myself, and i find this approach so much better for my mindset than if i deliberately restricted myself to a cheat meal every Friday or something. The cravings for junk have definitely gone down overall anyway, and i used to eat 3 takeout meals a day not too long ago Cheesy

Seems a recipe for success
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: April 28, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »

I wasn't planning on anything too heavy but 120kg moved so easily I thought I'd grab a spotter and see what happened with 130kg.

First rep moved really well but unfortunately he wasn't a great spotter and he grabbed the bar underhanded pulling it towards himself which messed up my bar path making rep two really tough. Pretty sure 140kg was on the cards if I wanted it but I was pre-fatigued having done 8 at 100 so I left it at that.

Slingshot less?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: April 29, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »

Slingshot less?

Yes. Just had belt, elbow cuffs and wrist wraps.

The new wrist wraps I've just bought make a huge difference for me especially with confidence. You just can't bend your wrist in them at all so you're locked really straight. I'd normally expect some wrist, elbow or shoulder pain after a big bench session but today there's nothing.

Fantastic investment.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: April 29, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »

Getting a shooting pain down the left hand side of it and into my traps, if I turn further than 11/1 either way from centre.

Hopefully it'll settle down over the next few days, and I won't miss very many sessions, but annoying all the same.

I used to get this regularly and it really is an awful pain. I think you'll find it's coming from your traps or rhomboids not your neck, that's just where you feel it the most.

I found that grinding my back against a door frame or similar helped a lot, I could usually find a knot in my back somewhere and applying pressure made a huge difference. Rolling round on a tennis ball can help a lot as well.

Hope you get fixed soon.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: April 29, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »

I used to get this regularly and it really is an awful pain. I think you'll find it's coming from your traps or rhomboids not your neck, that's just where you feel it the most.

I found that grinding my back against a door frame or similar helped a lot, I could usually find a knot in my back somewhere and applying pressure made a huge difference. Rolling round on a tennis ball can help a lot as well.

Hope you get fixed soon.

Yeah, I think it was more in the trap than anywhere, as that is where they pain stretched down. Still, it seems to have eased up gradually over the week, so just resting it has helped.

I'm not in with the masseuse until the 19th, so might go steady this week and see how it pans out. Me trying to do anything like that is going to result in me hitting the deck about 95% of the time Cheesy

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »

I was stuck at 100kg for as long as I can remember an it's only very recently that I've pushed some decent numbers for my size.

How much can you do at the moment? How do you think your strength is on triceps and shoulders? Do you consider them to be weak too because they're huge contributors to your bench.

Also do you really want to push out a decent bench press or are you happy as you are? It's not the end of the world after all.

Yeah its no dramas. The rest of my strength i'm happy with, i feel like i'm good on the squat rack and also deadlifts, and these are probably the most important to me. In general it is what it is really and i'll just continue to try and improve it.

I tried 5x5 with 24kg dumbells last workout and failed. My arms were wobbling all over the place and eventually i just couldn't get them out of the hole. Didn't feel like i had much control over the movement. After this i sat on the machine press and did 77kg 5x5. Having the stability taken care of makes a big, big difference for me on the bench.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: May 02, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »

Thought I'd try a bit of dumbbell work this morning for a change.

Pleasantly pleased with the difference my new wrist straps and elbow cuffs made with the stability and confidence on those and managed some very respectable weights.

Just did sets of 5 but went 24kg, 30kg, 40kg and then two sets at 46kg. Both the heavy sets had plenty left in the tank but I didn't want to go silly. I have to keep reminding myself to stay well within limits.

Really pleased with that for my first DB session for a good few months. Obviously the bench improvements have carried over and I can see me wanting to push these over the next few weeks to try to beat my previous best 50kg. The gym now has a set of 54kg dumbbells so I have a good target to aim for.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: May 02, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »

Yeah its no dramas. The rest of my strength i'm happy with, i feel like i'm good on the squat rack and also deadlifts, and these are probably the most important to me. In general it is what it is really and i'll just continue to try and improve it.

I tried 5x5 with 24kg dumbells last workout and failed. My arms were wobbling all over the place and eventually i just couldn't get them out of the hole. Didn't feel like i had much control over the movement. After this i sat on the machine press and did 77kg 5x5. Having the stability taken care of makes a big, big difference for me on the bench.

If stability is your biggest issue I'd suggest doing some press ups. They'll obviously improve all of your bench pressing muscles but they'll also strengthen your core a lot which will carry over when you're lying on your back.

You probably think it's weak arms or chest that's making you wobble but there's so much more involved in keeping you stable on a bench.

Just do 50 press ups every session for the next 6 weeks and I guarantee your bench and DB press will improve enormously. Doesn't matter how you get the 50 just do them. 5 x 10, 10 x 5, 20 20 10 whatever gets them done. If 50 is too easy then do some more but just get them done.

If you can't do those 5 x 5 at 24kg after that I'll be amazed.

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: