blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530806 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: December 12, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »

iraise - still want to train together but been massively struggling with family issues last few weeks and travelling to visit grandad in hospital miles away so haven't had chance to arrange.  Will still do it after new year if you still fancy it.

Does anyone do seated overhead dumbbell presses for triceps?  If so what size dumbbells do you bang 6-8 reps out with strict form and elbows tight and not sticking out?  I just think i am insanely strong at these compared to other tricep areas and other relative weights on other body parts.  Just interested if anyone else does this exercise for comparison purposes.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: December 12, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »

iraise - still want to train together but been massively struggling with family issues last few weeks and travelling to visit grandad in hospital miles away so haven't had chance to arrange.  Will still do it after new year if you still fancy it.

Does anyone do seated overhead dumbbell presses for triceps?  If so what size dumbbells do you bang 6-8 reps out with strict form and elbows tight and not sticking out?  I just think i am insanely strong at these compared to other tricep areas and other relative weights on other body parts.  Just interested if anyone else does this exercise for comparison purposes.

Hell yeah, just drop me a message when you're good.

As for OH triceps, it kills me elbows so I don't really do them. I've seen people bang 40s out for reps but not really paid too much attention to see the quality and tension. My triceps and cable pushdowns and general pressing to be honest. I probably should utilise a few more things. I do dips on the rings when I get them out.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »

When you say 'tension and mechanics of movement', I presume you mean tensing the body before beginning each exercise, and carrying out each movement strictly.

I was 212 this morning, so Ill be very disappointed if I can't lose the other 2 in the week before xmas feasting starts.

I am training until the 22nd, and then starting back on the 8th January. f I can only put on around 7lbs over xmas, I'll be super happy.

Pretty much exactly that. Taking the muscle and the movement through its entire range, not just the range your body tells it too. So i.e. with a pull up, not curling your upper body and dipping your chin to the bar to count it as a rep, as the mechanics through your shoulder and lats have actually got worse even tho you have 'completed the rep'. So making sure I stay disciplined throughout the entire range. I video myself and its crazy how easy it is to lose tension and not realise. I was doing machine rows last Thursday with  the guy that teaches me moment arms/anatomy and he went through it three reps in he just shouts 'now we are training' and I couldn't have agreed more. Never felt so much tension go through my lats, ended up getting cramp.

I need a weigh in though, don't want to go too much above 90 over all this, so want to stay sharpish over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the explanation. All very logical. Looking forward to getting up north after chrimbo one weekend for a spin with you boys.

I will weigh myself over xmas, just for giggles, to see what damage I'm doing Cheesy

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 12, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »

When you say 'tension and mechanics of movement', I presume you mean tensing the body before beginning each exercise, and carrying out each movement strictly.

I was 212 this morning, so Ill be very disappointed if I can't lose the other 2 in the week before xmas feasting starts.

I am training until the 22nd, and then starting back on the 8th January. f I can only put on around 7lbs over xmas, I'll be super happy.

Pretty much exactly that. Taking the muscle and the movement through its entire range, not just the range your body tells it too. So i.e. with a pull up, not curling your upper body and dipping your chin to the bar to count it as a rep, as the mechanics through your shoulder and lats have actually got worse even tho you have 'completed the rep'. So making sure I stay disciplined throughout the entire range. I video myself and its crazy how easy it is to lose tension and not realise. I was doing machine rows last Thursday with  the guy that teaches me moment arms/anatomy and he went through it three reps in he just shouts 'now we are training' and I couldn't have agreed more. Never felt so much tension go through my lats, ended up getting cramp.

I need a weigh in though, don't want to go too much above 90 over all this, so want to stay sharpish over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the explanation. All very logical. Looking forward to getting up north after chrimbo one weekend for a spin with you boys.

I will weigh myself over xmas, just for giggles, to see what damage I'm doing Cheesy

I'm no expert at this yet, moment arms are basic physics but when I try to apply them to a moving body my mind blows. But once you get it, you basically can't do inefficient/dangerous movements (obviously we are human, so there is always a risk). Crazy how the slightest angle change in the wrist/torso/shoulder/ankle/cable/dumbell etc just completely changes the game.

Would love a blonde meet up in the new year if we can do it.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »

I bet it does, and it's all very interesting.

I'd love to, now I can drive again.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: December 13, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »

For a strict single arm I could probably do 18kg or so for 6 to 8 although because of elbow issues I go much lighter and aim for 12 to 15.

Double arm I've managed 50kg easy enough prior to elbow issues but 28kg now that my elbows are f**ked.

If you're good at these it seems weird that you struggle with your bench press as they're a huge contributor.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: December 13, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »

Gone under the radar for a bit, had another anatomy and practical lesson this week and just gone balls deep back into tension and mechanics of movement. Absolutely fascinates me A) how hard optimal/efficient movement is, B) how people can go so wrong (me included with anything Lat based) and C) how lucky some guys/girls are that they have no idea what to do or how they did it, but they just got it bang on from the word go.

Still strength work in the background. Alternative deadlift and squats with 1 week heavy 1 week speed work. Speed work this week 6x3 120 and felt it go up very very fast until set 6, then it felt like regular ones, oops.

All movement feels good, up to 88kg right now (likely Xmas as opposed to massive muscle gains). But will carry on nutritionally in the Xmas spirit and look to gain some normality in Jan. As a disclaimer to anyone reading this, I have reasonably good habits, I do not recommend people who aren't nutritionally focused do this cos you could actually hammer 4-5lbs of FAT over these few weeks.

I did some BoR and RDL on Monday really focussing on keeping the lats tight and they felt fantastic. It's so hard to keep the lats locked in whilst doing bent over movements but when it clicks it feels great.

BoR are at 110kg now and I'm going to need straps soon with those. RDL at 120kg and DL up to 140kg. Slowly getting better with these.

My lower back seems to be holding up okay despite the heavier weights so all very positive.

On a less positive note I did a crazy triceps session on Saturday after big bench day and I've fucked my elbows. Not the brightest move as they'd been really good up to then.

Still can't get 135kg out for a single although 130kg is moving quicker. Might try 132.5kg on Saturday as I need a bit of a boost. Training partner managed 160kg for a very solid single. He's coming along nicely.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: December 13, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »

For a strict single arm I could probably do 18kg or so for 6 to 8 although because of elbow issues I go much lighter and aim for 12 to 15.

Double arm I've managed 50kg easy enough prior to elbow issues but 28kg now that my elbows are f**ked.

If you're good at these it seems weird that you struggle with your bench press as they're a huge contributor.

I can do 35kg double arms easily and very strict.  It's really frustrating how strong my triceps are and relatively how shit my bench press numbers are.  Hopefully when we meet up someone could tell me if i am doing anything wrong technique wise.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: December 14, 2017, 01:00:53 AM »

I can do 35kg double arms easily and very strict.  It's really frustrating how strong my triceps are and relatively how shit my bench press numbers are.  Hopefully when we meet up someone could tell me if i am doing anything wrong technique wise.

Mine are much the same, I think.

I think my triceps are probably my strongest bodypart, which is weird.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: December 14, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »

Some links below for bench press technique. This guy explains it really well especially about the set up side of things. The most important part of the bench press (and any other lift) is your set up. If that's wrong you're never going to lift the maximum possible weight. I'd just focus on part one which is all about set up, don't get too involved with part two and three until you've got your set up spot on because you'll just confuse yourself.

Just so you know I've been heavily focussed on bench press for over a year now and I'm still referring to these (and other) videos for technique tips. It's just little reminders that help get you that extra half kilo here and there. He talks a lot about using your lats in the bench and that's something I really struggle with. I can pull in using my lats but then they seem to lose tension as I press and it's making me fail in the middle part of the lift, I get off the chest easy, I can lock out after a spot easily but the middle bit is my sticking point.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: December 15, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »

A goooood, day today. Couldn't get in yesterday as the gym was flooded so closed. So tried my best to squeeze 2 sessions into one. Went like this:

DLs, 150 for 5, 160 for 4, 165 for 3, 170 for 2.
OHP 60kg for 3x3
Smith Machine squats (basically turning it into a hack squat as the hack squat in the gym is just not for me) 3x8-10 50kg. 3 seconds on the way down, 2 in the hole and 3 seconds up. Jelly legs.
T Bar row 3x10 60kg
LPD 3x12
Ham Curl 3x12
Leg Ext 3x8-10
Machine Press 3x12

One of the higher volume sessions I have done in a while but good fun. Really pleased with the DL and definitely felt more there with reps and KG. Alternative 'heavy' with speed week by week.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: December 15, 2017, 10:47:19 PM »

Fair bit of work in there, lol.

Missed today, as PT is getting a flat set up for his mother to move into when she leaves hospital over the weekend, and he took all afternoon with the social worker.

Training Mon/Thur/Fri next week, as I can't do Tues, and I'm at my annual review with my Neurologist on Weds.

211 this morning, so being very well behaved today, and hopefully hit 210 tomorrow Cheesy

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: December 18, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »

Missed today, as PT is getting a flat set up for his mother to move into when she leaves hospital over the weekend, and he took all afternoon with the social worker.

Training Mon/Thur/Fri next week, as I can't do Tues, and I'm at my annual review with my Neurologist on Weds.

211 this morning, so being very well behaved today, and hopefully hit 210 tomorrow Cheesy

From a completely not fitness standpoint, how often do things change these reviews? As in new meds or things like that? Or is it a case of, this year is what we expected as you were for next?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: December 18, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »

BoR are at 110kg now and I'm going to need straps soon with those. RDL at 120kg and DL up to 140kg. Slowly getting better with these.

My lower back seems to be holding up okay despite the heavier weights so all very positive.

On a less positive note I did a crazy triceps session on Saturday after big bench day and I've fucked my elbows. Not the brightest move as they'd been really good up to then.

Still can't get 135kg out for a single although 130kg is moving quicker. Might try 132.5kg on Saturday as I need a bit of a boost. Training partner managed 160kg for a very solid single. He's coming along nicely.

Got my little BoR, RDL, DL, OHP session again tonight which is rapidly becoming my favourite. I'm going to try straps for the BoR and RDL so hopefully that will help get a couple more strict reps.

Elbows are still f**ked Sad Really regretting that triceps session the other Saturday now. This weekend I could only go up to 120kg for fives on bench and that was with the slingshot. Also had both my elbow cuffs on the one side as well as my wrist fully strapped. It's starting to get better slowly but I've really set myself back there which is annoying. The worst thing is I'm going to have to stop pull ups as well which were just starting to come along.

Pretty pissed off with myself but still getting to the gym so not the end of the world.

Great work from Marky hitting the 15st target. Really impressive stuff there.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: December 18, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »

From a completely not fitness standpoint, how often do things change these reviews? As in new meds or things like that? Or is it a case of, this year is what we expected as you were for next?

I've been on the same treatment primary treatment for over 8 years now, which is Tysabri. My mobiliy/spasticity has gotten progressively worse, and I've rinsed through all the meds for spasticity with no success.

I prefer to just suffer the pain, as I'd sooner know what's going on. Sooner look like a zombie staggering about, than have my mind working like one as well.

Now I've  had it for coming up 10 years, it's just a case of keeping an eye on my MRIs, and assessing if there is anything new they can try etc.

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: