blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread  (Read 400048 times)
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: May 19, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »

City fans are boss, have fond memories of them way back in the non premiership days.

The football is boss

Pep is boss.

But I haven't felt a thing this season.

Uniteds best teams, arsenals best sides and even Chelsea's champions all had me enthralled. I love it when sides achieve things never done before.

City do something unprecedented, and the nation shrugs at the mehness of it all.

It's maybe a side effect of just how dominant and one paced city are combined with the absurd money. And likely how close to Leicesters season it was.

It's almost as though the public have collectively put an asterix next to your achievements already.

As one paced as Arsenal, United or Chelsea in 90+ points seasons when they were at or close to their dominant best?

Arsenal 04 -  11 points ahead of 2nd, 34 points ahead of 6th......scored 73 conceded 26
Chelsea 05 - 12 points ahead of 2nd , 37 points ahead of 6th .....scored 72 conceded 15
United 09 -    4 points ahead of 2nd,   28 points ahead of 6th....  scored 68 conceded 24
City 19      -   1 point ahead of 2nd,    32 points ahead of 6th ......scored 95 conceded 23

Yet I'm reading today from the likes of Miguel Delaney and Jonathan Wilson that football is now broken and City are effectively responsible.  There doesn't appear to be much difference in the numbers I've posted though.

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:40 AM »

Lower league football is broken. But it's not city's fault.

I can't put my finger on why city conjure beige as champions. It certainly won't be found in numbers.

The others listed just had more soul, I guess. Maybe down to just how dominant city are. The games have such little atmosphere, intent or tension.

I don't speak for everybody, of course. But I haven't encountered much vitriol re city. And I would have expected much more of a media frenzy in response to two unprecedented years of dominance. Easily the best premiership side in history. The greatest title race in premiership history. Yet, in the media, maybe the least analysed champions in history.

I think the media are simply reflecting an indifferent public.

Juperjiper

View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: May 20, 2019, 01:47:23 AM »

Meh
PSG and Celtic do it season after season and fail in Europe
Big deal
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 20, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »

The Cup Final was misery.  Just felt so inevitable like a pre season exhibition game.   I left at 0-5 and what was baffling was to see a few groups of City fans catching an early train and not bothering to see the cup being lifted.  Guess they find it boring as well now!
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 20, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »

Lower league football is broken. But it's not city's fault.

I can't put my finger on why city conjure beige as champions. It certainly won't be found in numbers.

The others listed just had more soul, I guess. Maybe down to just how dominant city are. The games have such little atmosphere, intent or tension.

I don't speak for everybody, of course. But I haven't encountered much vitriol re city. And I would have expected much more of a media frenzy in response to two unprecedented years of dominance. Easily the best premiership side in history. The greatest title race in premiership history. Yet, in the media, maybe the least analysed champions in history.

I think the media are simply reflecting an indifferent public.

I think the media are reflecting the clubs with by far and away the highest supporter bases. City win the league and the day after one  paper is completely dominated by stories about Pogba; More clicks for that I suppose...

I've seen more anti-City stuff over the last week than at anytime since the takeover but hey ho. Some puff pieces today though. A complete contrast to 18 months ago when, if anything, praise for City peaked because they were  at their relentless and entertaining best. Sky even ran some specials on them after the season end.

All of Chelsea, Arsenal and United were involved in a high number of boring matches when they were at the most dominant because it was too easy a lot of the time. But i do get it that when City are winning and they go into control mode it's not the most exciting thing in the world unless you are directly involved and for me it has been crazily tense for the last 3 months in league games.

Interesting slant on it here:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/20/football-tv-manchester-city-watford-fa-cup-final

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2300 on: May 20, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-city-s-domination-has-been-bought-and-they-re-paying-the-price-1.3897613?fbclid=IwAR2en6QCvtP9vHqnqVOLf7mgtQX8Cl6TSVrp3kG--PqhTlj49kdCE58Tbik

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 20, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »

The Cup Final was misery.  Just felt so inevitable like a pre season exhibition game.   I left at 0-5 and what was baffling was to see a few groups of City fans catching an early train and not bothering to see the cup being lifted.  Guess they find it boring as well now!

I left a couple of mins after the final whistle but not baffling to me! Seat in Wembley deliberately selected for quick exit and then walked down to Wembley Park with 98% Watford fans.  Got back to Euston just in time for the 7.40 train to Manchester. Back home 3 hours after leaving the stadium.  Why? Later trains totally rammed, high chance no seat and standing up  squashed for  2 hours with pissed up City fans is no idea of fun for me. And get to watch the cup being lifted on the TV anyway!

Yep, understandable the game was a misery for you. Inevitable City would go for it in the 2nd half as well which unlike recent league games.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 20, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »

I think the media are reflecting the clubs with by far and away the highest supporter bases. City win the league and the day after one  paper is completely dominated by stories about Pogba; More clicks for that I suppose...

That's a lot to do with it. But the indifference towards what city have achieved is also unprecedented. I guess it's because the dominance is so easily explained, and easily replicated across other countries with similar financial disparities

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 20, 2019, 02:26:14 PM »

I think the media are reflecting the clubs with by far and away the highest supporter bases. City win the league and the day after one  paper is completely dominated by stories about Pogba; More clicks for that I suppose...

That's a lot to do with it. But the indifference towards what city have achieved is also unprecedented. I guess it's because the dominance is so easily explained, and easily replicated across other countries with similar financial disparities

Are you meaning the PL will become like Germany, France, Italy etc with one team so rich and dominant that no one else gets a look in?
If that does become the case I'm definitely out but we are nowhere near that position yet.

City have had the money since 2008 and won 4 PL titles  in 11 seasons. 3 of those have been on the last day by 1 point, 2 points and goal difference.  Furthest we've been in the Champions League is 1 semi-final in 2016. In 2016 we finished 4th with 66 points ahead of United on goal difference.

Yep, in the present City are at their most dominant point since the money came in. We can thank  Pep for that and, like Liverpool with Klopp, the money has been spent superbly. But Pep has just 2 years left of his contract....

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 20, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »

Meh
PSG and Celtic do it season after season and fail in Europe
Big deal

But they don't have 4 teams below them appearing in the 2 great European finals izzit

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 20, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »

Manchester City want Harry Maguire to replace Vincent Kompany. Pep Guardiola lavished defender with praise on pitch at Etihad. Leicester do not want to sell https://mol.im/a/7047439

I think i mentioned this about nine months ago on here, to be told that he wouldn't be needed/wanted

We might just turn £17m into £65m in 2 years.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 20, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »

You might have moved on from it but us City fans will be dining on the treble for years.....unless we win the quad next season Wink

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make in all honesty. I'd be a little surprised if neutrals were getting so emotionally involved. Any title or cup win from one of the 'usual suspect' teams isn't gonna stir the emotions like the Leicester title did, for obvious reasons, so any comparison to that season is churlish.

Other City fans might disagree but what a neutral thinks of this great club doesn't matter one iota to me. All that matters is what happens on the pitch, and thankfully there isn't anyone better in England than us at what we do.

With the media dead against City for years, we've had to develop somewhat of a siege mentality, so it really is no shit off my elbow if observers are left cold by our success. If anything, I almost like that. We're winning the (domestic) lot, and winning it in style, much to the chagrin of many journalists and 'experts' and long may that continue.

I hope we go and spend another half a billion this summer and blitz the league again, just to piss people off Smiley

Quad  Roll Eyes
 Click to see full-size image.

Cheesy Seriously, congratulations especially after the <25 goals coup. Some lovely football to watch as well. Do you not look at crowds like Ajax, Eintracht, etc & wish your crowds were a bit more into it though? It's about all that's missing.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 20, 2019, 05:33:45 PM »

Are you meaning the PL will become like Germany, France, Italy etc with one team so rich and dominant that no one else gets a look in?
If that does become the case I'm definitely out but we are nowhere near that position yet.

City have had the money since 2008 and won 4 PL titles  in 11 seasons. 3 of those have been on the last day by 1 point, 2 points and goal difference.  Furthest we've been in the Champions League is 1 semi-final in 2016. In 2016 we finished 4th with 66 points ahead of United on goal difference.

Yep, in the present City are at their most dominant point since the money came in. We can thank  Pep for that and, like Liverpool with Klopp, the money has been spent superbly. But Pep has just 2 years left of his contract....

I guess I am alluding to that.

As an aside, I really don't understand city fans new hatred of all things Liverpool.

Without Liverpool being nearly as excellent and consistent your achievements wouldn't have seemed half as impressive. Being run so close by such a great side is a great thing for city. And Liverpool too. I take your point about the competitiveness of the prem, though.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 20, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »

Cheesy Seriously, congratulations especially after the <25 goals coup. Some lovely football to watch as well. Do you not look at crowds like Ajax, Eintracht, etc & wish your crowds were a bit more into it though? It's about all that's missing.

Haven't you seen us jumping with our backs to the pitch..awesome

sola virtus nobilitat
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 20, 2019, 06:29:09 PM »

I guess I am alluding to that.

As an aside, I really don't understand city fans new hatred of all things Liverpool.

Without Liverpool being nearly as excellent and consistent your achievements wouldn't have seemed half as impressive. Being run so close by such a great side is a great thing for city. And Liverpool too. I take your point about the competitiveness of the prem, though.

I guess it's hard to like a club who's fanbase brick your team coach.

I've never particularly liked Liverpool and that has certainly intensified in recent years. I think most City fans probably have them on a level hatred pegging as unted these days. In fact, there is probably an element of our support who hate Liverpool more than united (in that united are zero threat to our success and kinda irrelevant to us now, though it is fun to observe the shitshow at OT)

Kinda hard to pinpoint exactly we dislike Liverpool so much.......I jest of course, it's the fans.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: