blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  No one in the business world gives away expertise for free.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No one in the business world gives away expertise for free.  (Read 3691 times)
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »

Probably got given the tickets.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »

just dropped into my email box -

Hi Mike
Thanks for keeping me in the loop, either company are good to deal with, in fact ********* were asking me if I had heard from you last Friday so they are not too big to ignore a "squirt"
I am sure Richard will look after you
Let me know if I can help with anything else
Kind regards
Steve
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »

are you related to bigadz mike?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »

when you realise its not about the money - its about the people life gets easy - i do favours for people everyday its the circle of life

I don't agree with what Mike said on the horses thread, but I do agree with him re the 'expertise for free' statement.  

Of course you can always argue that people will give time / goods / services / away because they hope that someone will repay them in kind and you would be right in a way, but I do stuff for people all the time, often they are people that will probably never be in a position to repay me, but by the same token, people that I will never be in a position to repay do things for me.

Pay it forward.  

The older I get, the better I was.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »

If you consider one phone call to be expertise, then I would say you proved my statement wrong, and go along leading a happy life. I would say someone did you a favour. You are trying to compare yourself ringing a company and getting a discount on a product, and saying this proves you can get expertise for free. I don't think that proves your point at all. I'm not sure why you continually argue against my posts, but never talk about anything I actually say, and take one line out of context and start a new thread. I would agree that it is the weakest statement in my post, it is a poor comparison because you can make expertise in business out to be a phone call, but this isn't the case in poker whatsoever. Poor comparison or poor explanation perhaps. If you truly think an apprentice is given a great deal then you are wrong. As a painters apprentice I was paid a pittance for what my boss got to charge the consumer. However, I was willing to accept that as I needed the work (it was a summer job so apprentice isn't really the title, it was more of a part time assistant).

You seem to constantly relate something that isn't really real world applicable to something you have experienced. Yes, in an ideal world I would also go about the world offering my less well to do mates stakes for random tournaments, but unfortunately I cannot afford to. I did have a friend who won me a chunk at the last UKPC (I think this is the part where you would tell everyone the figure, but its not my style) and I do coaching sessions for free with him, and probably will do for a while. This is a friendship, if I offered my Dad a 50:50 deal in a random 1k he would laugh me out of the house, because he believes it is poor form to take money off your mates, and thats what your idea of staking is. Just because this is your perception of staking doesn't mean all staking should be this way.

They also wouldn't sell at cost price to the wholesalers, the cost price would be the merchants price minus whatever margin the company has. As it sounds like patented technology you have to buy from a large firm, I would imagine that was substantial. Perhaps you got it for a lot less then the wholesalers buying price, and in that case fair play.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »

such cynics - each to there own - some of you guys really need to chill

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 11:44:40 PM »

Why are u guys even rising to this blatant attempt to troll?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 12:05:25 AM »

Here is a thread earlier this year where you asked a bunch of questions, got given a uniform answer and ultimately decided it wasn't about the money, money doesn't mean anything, etc.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=64988.0

Consider that free advice, readily given, by various subject-matter experts on here.  9 months later, you start another thread on a similar vein, having clearly not taken the advice fully on board or understood the information contained within ~ and again decided that the end outcome would be to not make it about the money.

Whilst you and one or two other philanthropists want to investigate staking for non-profit, the advice freely given again has come from the fruits of a lot of effort, some bad experiences and in some cases, financial pain.  Everyone else involved in staking is doing it for financial gain.  Relationships develop, good friendships often survive beyond the contract expiry, but ultimately in the overwhelming majority of cases, both parties got together in the mutual pursuit of making some coin.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »

typed out a big response and then deleted it, cant be bothered.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:55:00 PM by SuuPRlim » Logged

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »

The quote "no-one in the business world gives away expertise for free"

That was in the context of optimal business strategy, whilst we were talking about the nuances to +EV staking operations...obviously people in the business world do give stuff away for free, occasionally because they fancy doing something nice but mostly because they expect a profitable return on it one day.

In one of my restaurants once, I had these fancy vinegar bottles, this couple said how much they loved the thing, so I decided after the meal to just gift them one (they cost about a fiver and actually not that easy to get hold off) it was quite a nice thing to do which I enjoyed but also they must have come back 12-15 times in the next 6 months (maybe they'd have come back anyway) but a decent £5 spent imo.

As you say, the circle of life.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:55:22 PM by SuuPRlim » Logged

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 01:52:08 PM »

I often fitted light bulbs in peoples cars for free, cost about 30p but surprising how many would remember and come back for a service / mot .

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »

#thecircleoflife

treefella

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »

Hakuna Matata Smiley 
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »

A smile and a thank you is sometimes much more satisfying than any financial return you know you're not going to get when you do or give something to others.

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: