blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Rate my shares
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate my shares  (Read 57919 times)
UpTheMariners

We Only Sing When We're Fishing

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2016, 12:43:48 AM »

I highly recommend Stockopedia when deciding what to invest in.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »

Absolute scenes this week

Click to see full-size image.

When are the bears coming back

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »

Signed up for 5 free days, looks really interesting and a step up on things like MarketEye that I was using 15 years ago

sola virtus nobilitat
BiloxiDesire

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »

Really interested in making some small investments over the next 3-6 months, but know completely nothing about the stock market.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to any recommended books for a novice?
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2016, 03:18:03 PM »

Every time I check the market prices these days I feel sicker and sicker at Tesco. 
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »

Welcome to blonde mate, you must be new? Smiley

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
UpTheMariners

We Only Sing When We're Fishing

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »

Welcome to blonde mate, you must be new? Smiley

Cheesy

Really interested in making some small investments over the next 3-6 months, but know completely nothing about the stock market.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to any recommended books for a novice?

The naked trader by Robbie Burns is aimed at beginners.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »

https://www.wellesley.co.uk

I'm sure this is far too good to be true but can anyone tell me more? Out of interest more than anything.
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 12:29:52 AM »

https://www.wellesley.co.uk

I'm sure this is far too good to be true but can anyone tell me more? Out of interest more than anything.

Wellesley are a peer to peer lender, they offer higher rates of interest than banks because you are effectively taking the risk of lending to groups of people as opposed to a bank and therefore offered a higher rate of interest than you might get on deposit. There are lots of peer to peer lenders and as far as I am aware no major ones have gone bust.

One thing I would say if the company does go bust, these types of investments are not covered by the government's investors compensation scheme.
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 12:33:56 AM »

Back in the day I had around 14 months day trading for a living, stopped this when a friend and I started a conferencing business. Did pretty well at the day trading when it was like shooting fish etc and then gave a lot back when I left some 'invested' in a few speculative plays while I was focused on other things.

A few years ago, actually more than a few, I took a few small pots of straggly pension funds and put them in a SIPP. I've never been very pension focussed but I have this moderate amount of money and through absolute laziness I left that sitting around as cash with interest offsetting charges - terrific strategy.

The pension cash isn't that important to me as I will just draw it down in lump sums at the earliest opportunity - although not desirable, if it turns to nothing it would be sort of OK

Anyway, had a week off this week so turned most of this cash into 5 shares - mainly longer term recovery ideas, one deece company imo and a more speculative AIM share. Not really very fruity but a bit of fun

I know we've had share threads before but without much interest. If anyone quietly trades with a view on these shares I'd like to hear about it. Also, any tips, however speculative and I might switcheroo some of these holdings

Just for interest, if things go well I might publish progress from time to time, obv if they bomb you won't hear another peep. Starting stack 48,000

Laird PLC
Barclays Bank
Vodafone
Rolls Royce
Boohoo.com

Current stack day 2 - £48,894

Brarfffffffffff, told you I'd only post when up but may keep this going if there is interest and a few ideas that I actually go for

Just stumbled across this, great thread and something I would be very interested in offering my two penneth.

I have a SIPP too(well 2), which I have started actively managing this year. Most of the investments are held in collective funds managed by some of the top managers in each sector. I also have around 10% allocated to buy individual stocks. When I get a bit more time over the next few days I will list my successes and failures.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »

Thanks for the interest. Be good to hear about the ups and downs you've had

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »

Back in the day I had around 14 months day trading for a living, stopped this when a friend and I started a conferencing business. Did pretty well at the day trading when it was like shooting fish etc and then gave a lot back when I left some 'invested' in a few speculative plays while I was focused on other things.

A few years ago, actually more than a few, I took a few small pots of straggly pension funds and put them in a SIPP. I've never been very pension focussed but I have this moderate amount of money and through absolute laziness I left that sitting around as cash with interest offsetting charges - terrific strategy.

The pension cash isn't that important to me as I will just draw it down in lump sums at the earliest opportunity - although not desirable, if it turns to nothing it would be sort of OK

Anyway, had a week off this week so turned most of this cash into 5 shares - mainly longer term recovery ideas, one deece company imo and a more speculative AIM share. Not really very fruity but a bit of fun

I know we've had share threads before but without much interest. If anyone quietly trades with a view on these shares I'd like to hear about it. Also, any tips, however speculative and I might switcheroo some of these holdings

Just for interest, if things go well I might publish progress from time to time, obv if they bomb you won't hear another peep. Starting stack 48,000

Laird PLC
Barclays Bank
Vodafone
Rolls Royce
Boohoo.com

Brarfffffffffff, told you I'd only post when up but may keep this going if there is interest and a few ideas that I actually go for

Just stumbled across this, great thread and something I would be very interested in offering my two penneth.

I have a SIPP too(well 2), which I have started actively managing this year. Most of the investments are held in collective funds managed by some of the top managers in each sector. I also have around 10% allocated to buy individual stocks. When I get a bit more time over the next few days I will list my successes and failures.

Morning acegooner,

Pardon me asking, but your style of writing seems familiar, do I know you from another Forum? The alias - identical - might be a clue, too. Not much gets past me, you know.

Post more, always enjoy your views on matters.

If my memory serves me correctly, you are a huge fan of Lord Sir King His Holiness The Almighty Arsene Wenger, right?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »

Laird PLC
Barclays Bank
Vodafone
Rolls Royce
Boohoo.com

Morning acegooner,

Pardon me asking, but your style of writing seems familiar, do I know you from another Forum? The alias - identical - might be a clue, too. Not much gets past me, you know.

Post more, always enjoy your views on matters.

If my memory serves me correctly, you are a huge fan of Lord Sir King His Holiness The Almighty Arsene Wenger, right?

Damn my plan to sneak in undercover failed miserably. It's a fair cop gov, guilty as charged!

I am one and the same yes Tikay. Don't write much on the sky forum these days unless its a slightly off topic issue where I feel I can help.

To be honest I have been looking for a good forum for discussing shares. Hopefully you, Nirvana or any of the other regs on blonde who dabble in the markets could point me in the right direction.

Not sure if you picked up from sky but I am a financial services man, not into day trading or anything, but have dabbled in the stock market since the days of "tell Sid". Seen the dot.com boom/bust, financial crisis and now the commodity crisis. Could there be a Brexit induced crisis in the markets? Who knows!

acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2016, 12:07:22 PM »

Thanks for the interest. Be good to hear about the ups and downs you've had

Don't really know where to start here lol. As mentioned I have 2 pensions plus an ISA that I am funding not very well from sky poker winnings Smiley.

Currently I hold 20 funds, and around 10 different stocks. It would take me all day to go through each fund/share and explain my rationale behind each investment so I will break them down. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on some of the stocks.

I noted your comments at the beginning of the diary, it seems like this money in the SIPP is pretty much money you can afford to take a higher level of risk with, so in principal it seems fine and makes sense to dabble in individual stocks. However, (and I am regurgitating the training and my studies in the financial services world) diversification is key to an successful and stable portfolio. It's a bit like poker, if you only give yourself 5 buyins at a particular level your roll will experience a large amount of variance. But at the end of the day it's your dosh I am only giving a few pointers.

Looking at the portfolio overall, do you have a strategy for brexit? If we leave the EU, it is anticipated that mid cap stocks (FTSE 250/350) could be hit the hardest, especially those whose main trading partners are in the EU. 

Turning to my portfolio, and I will detail the losers but its more fun bragging about the winners!

First up ARM Holdings, a truly amazing company. Many people don't realise the design for chips in their iphones/android handsets originates from good old Cambridge in the UK. ARM holdings is one of those famous dot.com boom/bust stories, in the early noughties the share price (like other tech stocks) fell 90%. Amazingly since then they have not only recovered but outperformed the overall market. I bought into ARM in three tranches, at £2.92 (6 years ago), £4.74 and £7.90 (about three years ago). Today the share price is £10! So what does the future hold for ARM? Well they are not only a mobile phone chip designer, they are also into the internet thing of things. An example application would be a smart fridge, where it keeps an eye out for the food you have and when you are running low it sends an on line shopping request to a supermarket. There are potentially thousands of other applications. Given this, I am a long term holder of this stock.

This year I set up my second SIPP, after deciding using a wealth manager was too expensive and that I had the time/inclination to invest the money myself. So I set up a SIPP with Bestinvest, they are OK service wise nothing special nowhere near as informative as Hargreaves Lansdown. Within this SIPP I hold 18 funds and 6 different shares.

The worst performing share is a company called NCC group (in the FTSE 250). They are a cyber security company and after doing some research at the back end of last year bought in at around £3.10. The shares currently trade around £2.50 so just over a 20% paper loss in 3 months, not great but 3 months is no time at all in the stock market. I am not sure why the shares are depressed, nearly every broker firm in the city have them rated as a buy and after events like the carphone warehouse hacking last year, there is a serious demand for cyber security services from corporates. I am not too concerned as I only invested £1k, and I am following my mantra of diversification which I will explain in future posts!   

acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »

Sorry Tikay didn't fully reply to your question about LAW. See a new acronym!

I am definitely not an AKB (Arsene Knows Best) anymore, and have over the last 12 months moved over to the WOB (Wenger out brigade). The club are being run as a business for the benefit of Kroenke who has to take responsibility but so does Wenger. This year we should have won the league, all it would have taken is a proven goalscorer and a decent defensive midfielder (Pogba springs to mind) and I really believe we would be coasting to the title. To go the whole summer without signing an outfield player when we clearly needed at least 1 or 2 is unforgivable.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: