blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 664798 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: September 12, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »

Woodward interview. Quite amused that I put Bernstein.

What interview was this, mate?

Who is Bernstein?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: September 13, 2020, 04:00:28 AM »

Woodward interview. Quite amused that I put Bernstein.

What interview was this, mate?

Who is Bernstein?

Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein were two young journalists on the Washington Post in the early Seventies whose investigative work played a major part in Nixon's downfall. The Republicans objected to what they were doing and brought pressure on the paper, but it supported them and continued to publish their findings. They really were instrumental in removing the President and both got Pulitzers for it, while other journalists have generally bowed at their feet ever since.

Click to see full-size image.

They wrote a couple of books together - All The President's Men about their investigation (turned into a movie with Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford playing them) and The Final Days about what it says on the cover.

This gives a small flavour of the biggest story of the century:

They have done tons since then, including Woodward interviewing Clinton, George W and Obama multiple times for the several books he has written on each of their Administrations. He brought out a book in 2018 which contained lots of revelations about the Administration and caused Trump plenty of problems, based on interviews with people like ex-Chief of Staff John Kelly, but without spending time with the President. Woodward persuaded Trump to participate with his new book, which has just been published. Donald should have steered well clear but couldn't help himself and spent a huge amount of time with him, apparently even prolonging interviews that others were trying to close down (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/us/politics/trump-woodward.html).

Now the book is out and the headline-grabber is an admission by Trump from February that he already knew then that the virus was much worse than he was saying in public. Bernstein commented on it this week and said the revelations are worse than the crimes that brought down Nixon.

I wrote something earlier today and must have been daydreaming, cos for some reason I carelessly credited Bernstein rather than Woodward, which annoyed and amused me and, undoubtedly, no-one else. And then, I had to draw attention to it, when most probably wouldn't have noticed.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: September 13, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »

Gotcha!

Have to say, you should get your own advent calendar just for this thread. Really amazing stuff.

That Trump/Woodward book is crazy. Given all that he knew, why on earth would he proceed with giving him time/material?

Is it just because he likes doing the opposite of what people advise him?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: September 14, 2020, 11:49:55 PM »

That Trump/Woodward book is crazy. Given all that he knew, why on earth would he proceed with giving him time/material?

Is it just because he likes doing the opposite of what people advise him?

He's far from being the first to do so. Here's one view on the subject - Why do presidents agree to speak to Bob Woodward?    https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/09/10/bob-woodward-history-us-presidents-todd-tsr-pkg-vpx.cnn

Trump's clear admission of misleading the public to avoid panic was a departure from the accepted leadership crisis playbook, which is that telling the public the truth works much better. The best way to manage crises is to give the public the correct information (with the usual caveats). This applies even more in a pandemic situation, when you should give them the information to make informed decisions, instead of causing them to infect each other, but it is supposed to be standard for any crisis, not for moral reasons, but because it works. It also sustains your credibility for the times when you want them to do something.

Here are W & B being interviewed by conservative legend William F Buckley while Watergate was going on, one month to the day before Nixon resigned. The full interview is on YT if you're interested.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: September 15, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »

Kamala lets the truth slip?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: September 15, 2020, 08:21:27 AM »

Cheers MT, I'll watch that when I get home on a proper size monitor lol.

Haha, as for let it slip. Did anyone think it was any different?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:29:17 AM by Marky147 » Logged

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: September 15, 2020, 08:27:55 AM »

Jaw-dropping comments by residents of St George, Utah.

Being forced to wear a mask puts you in the same position as George Floyd.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: September 15, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »

I saw that clip on Twitter yesterday. Human stupidity. Unparalleled.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4103 on: September 15, 2020, 11:20:57 AM »

Of all the crazy reasons why someone would be against wearing face masks I must admit that 'Most child molesters love them' is a new one.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:15 AM »

Madness, what a world.

Donald delivers, as always.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: September 16, 2020, 08:05:54 PM »

Excellent. Steve Doocy's withdrawal of the invitation was hilarious, though it was strange that it seemed to take Brian Kilmeade by surprise. It had been discussed earlier and Doocy was clearly acting under orders in shafting it, so I don't know why Kilmeade wasn't aware.

Donald has had a few long interviews on Fox lately - Harris Faulkner, Chris Wallace, Laura Ingraham, Janine Pirro, Fox & Friends. There may have been others that I missed; certainly he has often dialled into Hannity. In fairness, Faulkner and Wallace gave him a tough time but the rest were soft.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: September 16, 2020, 09:43:52 PM »

Tim Kennedy @TimKennedyMMA
On my podcast with @joerogan he offered to moderate a debate between @JoeBiden and @realDonaldTrump
It would be four hours with no live audience. Just the two candidates, cameras, and their vision of how to move this country forward. Who wants this? #debates #Election2020

Donald J. Trump @ realDonaldTrump
I do!

Saagar Enjeti @esaagar
holy shit
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: September 17, 2020, 12:51:00 AM »

Trump faced questions from Pennsylvanian voters last night in an ABC town hall chaired by George Stephanopoulos (White House advisor to Bill Clinton before his TV career).

Stephanopoulos fact-checked some of Trump's dodgy answers live, which was fair, as they were misleading. The reporting on the event has highlighted Trump's poor answers, but it's also fair to say that the questions were supposed to be from undecided voters, but they generally seemed to be pretty anti (and unusually articulate).

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/key-takeaways-president-donald-trumps-town-hall-pennsylvania/story?id=73005087
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: September 17, 2020, 01:56:38 AM »

There's a new bronze statue of Melania in Slovenia. A previous wooden version was badly burned, but the sorely-missed structure has now been replaced with one that is more durable.

Bronze Melania

It's a beautiful piece, though not as lifelike as the wooden one:

The real Melania (left) and wooden statue (right)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: September 17, 2020, 04:25:07 AM »

Amazing! That can't be real, surely?

Haven't seen the town hall, but saw the tweet about Rogan playing moderator, and that's just never gonna happen, is it?

I saw Biden talking about upping military spending, so maybe some of his people watched the podcast with Kennedy, though. He was talking about how much more money Trump has given to the military than Obama did.

That Fox thing is so funny, Trump will no doubt have seen that as well Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: