blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  NFL 2017-18 season
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 77 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2017-18 season  (Read 195530 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2016, 05:51:56 PM »

NBA draft seems a lot more straight forward than the NFL one just because of squad size.  Quite enjoy watching the NBA one but have never watched the NFL one.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2016, 07:33:42 PM »

Americarnage podcast is a good one for all American sports, not least because it features Mike Carlsen and Nat Coombes. Also any discussion where they suggest Jimmy Garropolo is a member of the Sopranos is frankly just funny. Cue accents.

The draft is essentially an exercise in levelling the playing field. The worst teams get to pick the best players, fill gaps in their team and build for the future. The best teams have to wait.

Of course, some teams pick badly, some pick players based on want over need, some just get plain unlucky. Conversely, some good teams have excellent scouting systems and outstanding technical coaches that can find diamonds in the rough and make them sparkle.

The oft-trotted one is Tom Brady going in the sixth round. That was mostly luck, as he was an average at best QB when selected and looked very unathletic at the combine.

Tennessee will be able to make a series of good decisions and can afford to take a risk or two because of how many picks they have high up in the draft. Cleveland might well trade down again to get even more picks over the next two years. Those two teams have needs all over the team: why spend it all on one guy for one gap when you can get five gaps plugged with solid talent?

Some teams just need a couple of pieces to complete their puzzle and can afford to gamble on a potential superstar.

The fun part is seeing the teams clearly torn between picking who their analytics department says they should take and who the GM or owner wants. Think about if Chelsea were on the clock...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:58:05 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
ForthThistle

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2016, 08:20:31 PM »

Cheers.

APAT NLHE Southern European Champion 2010
Take on Tikay February League Winner 2011

Rastafish throws himself headfirst into the railbirds, arms outstretched but the sea of bodies parts and Rastafish misses and crashes through the barrier on all fours.
Stopsleyhatter

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2016, 08:39:20 PM »

Best prices for the Superb Owl:

15/2 Seattle Seahawks
9/1 New England Patriots
9/1 Carolina Panthers
12/1 Pittsburgh Steelers
12/1 Green Bay Packers
14/1 Arizona Cardinals
16/1 Cincinnati Bengals
18/1 Denver Broncos
25/1 bar

Seahawks favourite? The three teams below them in this list should win their divisions. Seattle will struggle to win 11 games and might not make the cut. What's the bookies' reasoning?

Was hoping the Steelers would be bigger. Hurts to say it but I think they'll get there this year. Unfortunately don't think the Bengals will do too well this season, the Ravens won't be that bad again. Steelers are a very good team. And Bengals schedule isn't the easiest either apart from no East coast matches which helps
Big rumour bengals take fuller or doctson if there still on the board..
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »

Best prices for the Superb Owl:

15/2 Seattle Seahawks
9/1 New England Patriots
9/1 Carolina Panthers
12/1 Pittsburgh Steelers
12/1 Green Bay Packers
14/1 Arizona Cardinals
16/1 Cincinnati Bengals
18/1 Denver Broncos
25/1 bar

Seahawks favourite? The three teams below them in this list should win their divisions. Seattle will struggle to win 11 games and might not make the cut. What's the bookies' reasoning?

Was hoping the Steelers would be bigger. Hurts to say it but I think they'll get there this year. Unfortunately don't think the Bengals will do too well this season, the Ravens won't be that bad again. Steelers are a very good team. And Bengals schedule isn't the easiest either apart from no East coast matches which helps
Big rumour bengals take fuller or doctson if there still on the board..

From what I've heard I'd prefer Doctson or Coleman to Fuller. Even Michael Thomas. I know they lost 2 Wrs. But anyone coming in will be 4/5th target behind Green Eifert Bernard LaFell   

But supposedly Fuller just has his pace and is prone to drops due to having 'tiny' hand size and arm length

Stopsleyhatter

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »

Fuller fits the Sanu role of end arounds and gadget plays due to his speed.Think it's a smoke screen and we go defense rounds 1 and 2.
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2016, 10:26:24 PM »

Fuller fits the Sanu role of end arounds and gadget plays due to his speed.Think it's a smoke screen and we go defense rounds 1 and 2.

Generally go BPA which I get the felling would be defence, saw this tweet earlier that suggests first choice is D

Take a look at @JoeGoodberry's Tweet: https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/725642987645100036?s=09

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2016, 11:32:36 PM »

question about the draft

if you are drafted in say 3rd or 4th round and get released and then no one signs you do you still get paid and for how long?

has any player been drafted in 1st round and then released ?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2016, 11:40:36 PM »

Rookie contracts are 4-5 years and its cheap Labour. If released are paid value of contract, all are slotted at signing. Yes even top picks can be huge busts.look up Ryan leaf and jamarcus Russell

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2016, 11:47:08 PM »

so a 24 year old being drafted will get paid peanuts till he is 28/29 and beat up?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2016, 11:51:47 PM »

1st round picks paid well. 2nd round less etc and so on. Rookie min salary is $450k. The main opportunity I'd to get a second contract, 4 years into a potential 10+ years career and make Jay financially then. 256 rookies drafted each year, plus undrafted free agents and well under that will stick on rosters each year

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2016, 11:57:32 PM »

so a rookie gets signed then dropped will get at-least $1.8 million and a college education?
so a nice start to adult life?

Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2016, 12:04:14 AM »

if you are drafted in say 3rd or 4th round and get released and then no one signs you do you still get paid and for how long?

has any player been drafted in 1st round and then released ?

I'm not aware of any players being drafted in the 1st round then being released before the start of the regular season in the same year they were drafted, if that's what you mean. Plenty get cut after a couple of seasons though.

Recent examples would be Johnny Manziel, drafted 22nd a couple of years back getting cut, and Trent Richardson got traded from Cleveland to Indy, then cut by the Colts after being taken with the 3rd/4th pick a few years ago. Probably will become less common than it was before the rookie contracts came in, because players back then could be signed to longer contracts, so cutting a player 5 years into a 7 year rookie deal might not necessarily have meant they're a bust, simply that the team needed to make cap space.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2016, 12:22:14 AM »

wow i remember watching johnny get drafted think that was my first year in fantasy

he was expected to be a early pick but ended up near the bottom of the 1st round and they were saying that
his misbehavior had cost him millions

i expect he will still be on a very good contract for next couple of years even if no one picks him up

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2016, 01:38:05 AM »

ok how much time will the rams and the eagles run off the clock before making the picks they have traded so heavily for?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 77 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: