blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  NFL Thread 2018/19
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL Thread 2018/19  (Read 101959 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »

i think Mayfield is a definite runner

not at all like Manziel in the "intangibles",much more like Drew Brees on the field (stature and style)

I am a huge fan

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »

i think Mayfield is a definite runner

not at all like Manziel in the "intangibles",much more like Drew Brees on the field (stature and style)

I am a huge fan

Ok, the Manziel comparison is a lazy one. Baker is a better quarterback.

We can't ignore his head-loss moments though - DUI arrest, naughty gesture to opposing fans and the Souness-esque flag planting in Ohio. If you're the GM of a team that's 1-31, are you even considering a risk like that in front of (possibly lower ceiling but miles higher floor) Darnold?

Whoever they draft is not going to be playing until week 10 or later. They'll still be getting all the headlines and all the attention. The Browns need a Mr Reliable.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Stopsleyhatter

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2018, 04:55:18 PM »

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hue Jackson fancies Barkley at 1 and Nelson at 4 going with AJ mccarron at qb.Dont think he’ll get his way as surely they have to take a qb at 1.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2018, 05:11:02 PM »

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hue Jackson fancies Barkley at 1 and Nelson at 4 going with AJ mccarron at qb.Dont think he’ll get his way as surely they have to take a qb at 1.

There's a good Move the Sticks podcast up today about the number 1 pick options. Whatever they do, they will be taking a QB this year. Be unthinkable not to. Only option beyond 1 or 4 is trading down from 4, but that's not really in the wheelhouse of the new management.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2018, 08:27:41 PM »

At this rate Seattle are going to be able to afford an O line this season. Given Bennett away, Sherman seemingly on his way too, Possible Chancellor when he is fit again. A proper cleaning of house in progress.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:45 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Which year was it that Jimmie Johnson pulled off that coup by trading your RB for a lset of players but having in place that the players would convert to draft picks if they didn't work out?

Didn't he then release all the players he had taken in the trade and ended up getting 4-5 draft picks for one RB?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »

Herschel walker 1991. Ended up being 12 picks, and three Superbowls followed in the next four years. Had already drafted their quarterback too so really made hay

My eyes are open wide
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »

At this rate Seattle are going to be able to afford an O line this season. Given Bennett away, Sherman seemingly on his way too, Possible Chancellor when he is fit again. A proper cleaning of house in progress.

Was looking for a good option on the 49ers. Oddschecker listed them to make the playoffs at 17/2 on Bet "twats" Victor. Turns out that's not a market they actually offer.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2018, 12:30:30 AM »

Was looking for a good option on the 49ers. Oddschecker listed them to make the playoffs at 17/2 on Bet "twats" Victor. Turns out that's not a market they actually offer.

There's an NFC team I'm cute on this year and I'm expecting them to be a big price. Will explain in the forthcoming Mock Draft number 2. Probably tomorrow. It's nearly finished, but the various free agency shenanigans haven't helped. Plus I might - might...possibly - have spotted I'd given a player to two teams. Ahem...

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »

Mock Draft 2

This is the second edition of my predictions for the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Like its predecessor, I’m pretending that there will be no trades, which obviously won’t be true. However, until we get much nearer to the end of April, it is pure guesswork, so I’m leaving the order as it is for now. I plan to do one more near the draft, so I’ll consider throwing in a couple of plausible trades for that. We’ll see.

The free agency market will have a significant impact on who gets drafted and that is still taking shape at the time of typing. There will always be something, so there’s no perfect time for these things.

I’ve made a few assumptions and best guesses along the way about where certain players go and which areas teams decide to improve with experienced players and which they test the water of the draft with. For example, Mock 2 has Kirk Cousins going to Minnesota, as it’s a flip between them and the Jets (according to Kirk Cousins) and I can see him taking less money for a conceivable Super Bowl run, rather than wallowing in the mediocrity of the Meadowlands.

For this one, although I again do what I think the teams SHOULD do and then what I think they WILL do, I’ve added a third thing to reflect the change from the first edition of the mock draft and some general notes. Sometimes, it will simply be that the man I had them drafting is no longer available, but sometimes it will be the circumstances have changed and there’s a different need or want.

As before, the Draft runs on what DOES happen.

Of course, one change forced upon me is the coin flip, which San Francisco won, so they draft ahead of the Raiders. That could well be significant.

Ok, enough waffle. Let’s get on with it...

Click to see full-size image.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »

1.   Cleveland Browns

Notes: Projected number one pick, Sam Darnold, elected not to throw at the Combine. It is a false environment, in that you’re not throwing to your own receivers and I can understand that decision, but throwing and decision-making are greater strengths for Darnold than the physical drills, so it still seems a strange decision. He must believe that he is getting a high draft pick and that throwing had no real upside, but carried risks. Barkley meanwhile had a sensational Combine, and a couple of the QB competitors performed well above expectation. Cleveland also intimated that they are open to trading out of the number one spot. Yeah right. Not even Ferguson or Mourinho in their most mischievous would say that with a straight face.

Who they should draft: Saquon Barkley RB
A recent topic of discussion everywhere and I’ve flipflopped a bit about this. The argument for going Barkley first is that he’s the best player in the draft and has the potential to lift a team that needs pressure taking off its passing game. Gurley, Zeke, Fournette have made a big difference to their teams in recent years. There’s nothing to suggest Saquon will be less than a stud. He shapes to be a generational talent for a team that has shown it can run the ball competitively (14th best OLine and 10th best running game last year, per Football Outsiders) and that was with Duke Johnson.

Who they do draft: Sam Darnold QB
I keep coming back to it: the Browns need a franchise leader and this is the most football-y decision. They get a guy who could be in a Browns jersey in 2030. He has to have a good pro day, but I expect him to. It’s a shame to miss out on Saquon (which you would now expect to), but they get another stud at 4 and should have superb choices at 33 and 35, too. Cue the picture of the jersey with all those names on, but this is the face of the Cleveland Browns, even if he starts begins by behind AJ McCarron.

2.   New York Giants

Notes: The Giants have – and get this – worked out that their offensive line is terrible, which is about time, frankly. It’s been rubbish for years. They met with the best Guard in the draft, Quenton Nelson, during the Combine, and there is some talk they pick him at 2. The new administration seems to be suggesting they are happy with Eli Manning under center for a few years, but they need to protect him better. They look, at time of typing, to be bringing in Andrew Norwell from Carolina, who is a very good Guard. They have so many weapons on offense through the air that they will be left with an interesting decision in April. I can’t see them trading down from 2.

Should: Saquon Barkley RB
Much as I love Nelson – his combine performance just backed up his numbers from college and all the hype – and much as I disagree that Eli is still a decent quarterback, it’s impossible to pass on Barkley, particularly when you desperately need a running back in your team.

Do: Saquon Barkley RB
There is no chance whatsoever that Barkley falls to 4 now. The Giants might do stupid things every now and then and love to take a risk (Eli Apple anyone?) but this is a slam dunk selection.

3.   Indianapolis Colts

Notes: The Colts aren’t a free agency team. They don’t really care much for it. GM Chris Ballard has said nothing to indicate that’s changing. They have a new head coach in Josh Mc…sorry…Frank Reich and he will want to stamp his authority on the franchise. The franchise will be losing RB Frank Gore and a few others, particularly in the wide receiver corps. The one most likely to re-sign is offensive guard Jack Mewhort, who is solid but has ended the last two seasons on a frustrating injured reserve. Andrew Luck is hopeful of returning in time for the next season, but who knows exactly?

Should: Bradley Chubb DE
The AFC South is a passing division, with Bortles, Watson and Mariota. The second most important position behind quarterback in the NFL is the guy that gets to the quarterback. Chubb could have been number one overall, if he’d been born a year earlier and went into last year’s Draft. His Combine performance was excellent and the Colts desperately need an edge threat.

Do: Bradley Chubb DE
It’s a second slam dunk pick in a row. They would go Barkley if he were still there, but he’s not, in this mock.

4.   Cleveland Browns (from Houston)

Notes: The Browns have their quarterback and their second and third best have just been taken too. There is an argument, with Rosen, Allen and Mayfield (the presumptive next three QBs) still on the board, that the Browns could trade down from 4, but it’s not Sashi’s analytics team anymore and the offer will need to be pretty big. That’s not to say it won’t happen, though. Denver will be going QB and teams will be working out who Elway wants. If they think “their” guy will be heading to Denver, the incentive is there to trade with Cleveland and jump above Denver. Equally, to combat that, Denver might make the trade themselves to get the man they want. It’s a more likely trade down spot than number one. The other thing to note is their left tackle, “Catfish” Joe Thomas, is considering looking for a new team. It won’t be a money decision; they have to convince him they won’t be the 1-31 team anymore.

Should: Quenton Nelson OG
This is going to cause a stir, I suspect, but how do you persuade your best player you understand his position matters? Invest in the offensive line. You’ve just drafted your franchise guy at 1 and the guy you drafted last year spent more time on treatment tables than the field, because you can’t protect him. Nelson is an elite guard who has pro bowl potential. If they draft a running back at 33 or 35, which is conceivable, Nelson offers support there too.

Do: Minkah Fitzpatrick S
This is the consensus pick at 4. The NFL defense nowadays looks for players who can play in more than one position; hybrids. Fitzpatrick is a massive upgrade at safety, but he can play anywhere in that backfield with his pace at football IQ. 

5.   Denver Broncos

Notes: Previously a suitor for Kirk Cousins, the Broncos now have to look elsewhere. I believe they will sign Case Keenum, whom they’ve coveted as a second choice. Free agency is a tough one for them, as they have lots of positions of either immediate or impending need. It’s plausible they pick up some gap fill guys like RB Dion Lewis and WR Donte Moncrief, spending money on someone like left tackle Nate Solder.

Should: Baker Mayfield QB
I think this is a pretty clear choice by way of fit and I expect him to be available at 5. He has worked with the coaching staff there for the senior bowl and Elway will fancy himself able to harness his undoubted talent. Expect visits from Peyton Manning.

Do: Baker Mayfield QB
Hi-fives in the Denver war room. John Elway is wearing aviators. 

6.   New York Jets

Notes: I’m working on the assumption that the Jets don’t get Cousins. Clearly, if they do get him, the choice for draft pick is going to be markedly different. They have a number of holes to fill and look to be in a rebuilding mode (even if they won’t admit it).

Should: Josh Rosen QB
From a pure football perspective, this is the guy for the Jets. I like Rosen. In my view, he’s the best QB in the draft. He simply can’t go to the Jets, though.

Do: Josh Allen QB
Rosen’s outspoken views on President Trump won’t enable him to sign for the Jets, whose owner, Woody Johnson, is the American ambassador to the UK. I suspect that’s a mutually convenient situation, though; Rosen wouldn’t want to play for the Jets. Allen excelled in the Combine, far above the guy I had previously put in this spot, Lamar Jackson. A pocket passer who has progressed a lot in the last few months, Allen is a franchise QB for a team that badly needs one.

7.   Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Notes: This is a fun one. Five out the first six picks are on offense and the Buccs must choose between two excellent defensive players and an offensive lineman. None of those will send Florida wild but they can’t go wrong, whoever they pick. Losing Doug Martin means they have a big need at running back. They have a big need at safety, too, with a truly woeful pass defense. Expect free agency moves there.

Personally, I look at the second and third rounds as the place to pick up guys in the secondary, as this is a deep draft in that position. They can also get someone like Tre Boston, Eric Reed, Kenny Vaccaro or even Tyrann Matthieu in that safety spot from free agency. Their quarterback has been hit and miss, but he’s undoubtedly their guy. So protect him. With all those weapons through the air, having an elite pass protector is a must, in order to give Jameis Winston the time he needs.

Do: Derwin James S
I think the Buccs will be too drawn to the chance to bring in someone of James’s talent. A hybrid star, he’s a huge upgrade on what they have and can play in a strong safety position or wherever else is needed.

8.   Chicago Bears

Notes: The Bears have decided to tag Kyle Fuller, which must be a smart move. They still need a cornerback, though, as well as extra defensive talent and some offensive line help. I do think Chicago are another trade down team, particularly in a situation like this mock draft, where there are some desirable players available and Chicago have so many positions of need. They are ripe for trying to get a wide receiver in free agency, as it’s a massive need for them and the wide receivers in the draft did nothing to suggest they’re worth the number 8 pick.

Should: Josh Jackson CB
I know plenty prefer Denzel Ward, but I love Jackson. He’s a zone corner par excellence and will be working with a young, talented group of defenders. He notably turned up to the Combine having bulked up, which will have raised a few eyebrows, but that’s not a bad thing at all; this is a physical league. Second choice for me – and a close one – is the one they plump for.

Do: Tremaine Edmunds LB
He’s another hybrid player, as he could play inside or outside. The Combine showed his fitness and strength. At 6’5”, he will be a defensive mismatch for even some tight ends. I’ve seen nothing to change my assessment of him from last time: he’s a stud.   

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »

9.   San Francisco 49ers

Notes: as I commented at the start, the Niners won the coin toss, so pick ninth. They have their quarterback (not sure if anyone has mentioned that…), so it’s about building the rest of the roster now. This is a sneaky good team in prospect, with a head coach who has shown himself to be capable in his first year. I think they will look to bring in a wide receiver veteran and, again, could be a trade down team for someone needing a QB. Picks are a valuable commodity for this franchise.

Sorry, I keep saying this name, but he’s the guy to take here. Protect the quarterback.

Do: Quenton Nelson OG
If they are stuck at 9 and can’t trade down and assuming there’s no Barkley or Chubb available, this is the pick. He’d be a popular choice with the pundits.

10.   Oakland Raiders

Notes: Aldon Smith at linebacker has left, but that’s no loss to a team that barely saw him take to the field. If anything, he’s a distraction and they’re better off without him. The team has a big hole in the secondary.

Should: Denzel Ward CB
The better pick for a team that plays about with its defensive schemes a lot. Ward is more comfortable in man systems than Josh Jackson.

Do: Denzel Ward CB
I think they would have liked Derwin James here, so they could push Karl Joseph out to free safety, but he’s off the board. Upgrading the secondary cannot be a mistake.  

11.   Miami Dolphins

Notes: They have so many needs and their relentless pursuit of over the hill, overrated, overpaid names is a source of amusement for rival fans. They need a quarterback and they are currently $19m over the salary cap…and that’s before Robert Quinn becomes the latest name who used to be good a few years ago to join. They desperately need a tight end, but 11 is probably too high. Actually, they probably need two.

Should: Josh Rosen QB
Perhaps not the obvious pick, but it’s patently obvious the team needs a leader under center. The locker room has a lot of characters in it (see above) so no shrinking violets will be allowed. Rosen could have gone 9 places sooner, if the Browns had taken Barkley first.

Do: Josh Rosen QB
He’s still on the board and has to come off it now. The Dolphins would be spending 10 minutes taking phone calls from Arizona, Buffalo and other places, but we’re not doing trades, so Miami gets a new poster boy.  

12.   Cincinnati Bengals

Notes: Historically, the Bengals don’t seem to believe in starting with the OLine when it comes to the draft. They might have their hand forced this year, as the center, Russell Bodine, might well be looking for a new jersey and, even if he does re-sign, he could do with upgrading. Chris Baker adds some grunt at Defensive Tackle.

Should: James Daniels C
This might feel like a reach, but Daniels looked good in the Combine, where his rival for top center, Billy Price, tore a pectoral on the bench. There are lots of options for them, but Daniels has a lot to offer and could play in a guard position if they were able to bring Bodine back, or upgrade him in free agency.

Do: James Daniels C
I’m going to be nice. The Bengals draft a center. And he’s a good’n.

13.   Washington Redskins

Notes: It looks like the Redskins will target Paul Richardson at wide receiver in free agency. They must improve the secondary, too. Alex Smith coming in is not a long term solution, though his replacement is not an immediate need either.

Should: Josh Jackson CB
I said Marcus Davenport last time, but I am not convinced by his draft performance. I was hoping his 3 cone drill would be under 7 seconds, which is typically the mark of an elite edge rusher. He went 7.2. I think Davenport is a work in progress, where Jackson is a natural fit at corner, an immediate difference maker and I’m very much a truther for him.

Do: Josh Jackson CB
This is the area I fancy the Redskins to upgrade first in the draft. It makes a lot of sense.

14.   Green Bay Packers

Notes: A team that is generally frugal in the offseason, the Packers might dip their toe in this year and pick up some positions of need to help the returning Aaron Rogers.

Should: Connor Williams OT
I like him and watching Packers QBs running around a lot only has so much appeal. I originally had Denzel Ward going here, but he’s off the list this time. Williams might switch to guard, but he’s available in either position.

Do: Connor Williams OT
A-Rod is happy. They can bolster the secondary in later rounds and hopefully secure a name or two at wide receiver in free agency or later down in the draft.

15.   Arizona Cardinals

Notes: Very much touted as a trade up team or a suitor for the various free agent QBs, the Cards are in a rebuild mode, whether they like it or not. The wide receiver corps isn’t good enough, even having managed to persuade Larry Fitzgerald to stay. David Johnson will be getting 30+ touches a game in all likelihood, but they have so many needs and could easily finish fourth in the division this time around. I expect Honeybadger to stay, but the team needs help badly.

Should: Will Hernandez OG
A new name for my mock draft, but he had an excellent Combine. There are no QBs worthy of a top 15 pick, nor wide receivers, so it should be an offensive lineman. Not long in the arm, but his quick feet will enable him to get downfield quickly. Blocking at the second level is a must for David Johnson, much like Richie Incognito does for Shady McCoy in Buffalo.

Do: Will Hernandez OG
They’d love a QB, but it’s not going to happen this time. Here’s hoping they can find a Teddy Bridgwater or Nick Foles to mind the shop.

16.   Baltimore Ravens

Notes: the Ravens blog Baltimore Beatdown proposes that the Ravens will pick between an offensive tackle and a wide receiver. Indeed, it even names both: Mike McGlinchey and Calvin Ridley. Tight end would be a reach and Tremaine Edmunds has gone already at inside linebacker. They are one of the teams looking to bolster WR in free agency and they might take a quarterback late, just in case.  

Should: Roquan Smith LB
I disagree with the blog and say they should take Roquan Smith, who is a gifted prospect in the linebacker corps. Marcus Davenport could be a fit, as he is a project who needs coaching on the edge and has plenty of people around him to teach him how to improve, but I’d go Smith.

Do: Calvin Ridley WR
This one seems obvious: GM Ozzie Newsome gets an Alabama wide receiver.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:21:18 PM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »

17.   Los Angeles Chargers

Notes: Head Coach, Anthony Lynn, has been on the record this weekend that they're looking to make some changes on the OLine, which will enable them to bring in last season's draft pick Forrest Lamp. They should be looking at quarterback options, but it probably won't be in the first round, unless one drops into their lap.

Should: Vita Vea DT
I'm a big fan of this unit. His Combine performance was strong and he is an immediate starter in a woeful run defense. He's also got the athleticism this system demands.

Do: Roquan Smith LB
In fairness, this is a toss up. The only thing worse than the run defense in general is the linebacker corps specifically.

18.   Seattle Seahawks

Notes: There's a feeling of a changing of the guard in the NFC West, as the two dominant teams of Seattle and Arizona make way for the energised San Francisco and Los Angeles Rams. Seattle still have the best QB in the division in Russell Wilson and, whilst not the Legion of Boom anymore, the defense is still good. We know Michael Bennett has gone to Philadelphia. He hasn't been the dominant force of a couple of years ago, but will still be missed. Richard Sherman is done, if you believe Richard Sherman. Kam Chancellor a doubt to return.

Should: Marcus Davenport DE
A polarising prospect, Davenport could be a top ten pick or a first round sneaker-inner. He has so much talent but is raw. He needs coaching and moulding into a consistent producer. Do that and he's an elite pass rusher that threatens 20 sacks a season. Hard to think of a better team than Seattle for that.

Do: Marcus Davenport DE
Still here at 18 you say? Sign him up. Pete Carroll loving life. Look for them to take cornerbacks in the 2nd and 3rd round, as they rebuild the secondary.

19.   Dallas Cowboys

Notes: Dez Bryant was rumoured to be available to other teams but that never happened. He's staying in Dallas. Dak Prescott is probably going to have to make do again, though there might be some pick ups in free agency and in the draft. Jerry Jones says they'll be looking to turn the offense “Dak friendly”, whatever that means. Franchise tagging Demarcus Lawrence means they secure their best edge rusher for a season, though he is one of a few marquee players who will be looking for new contracts soon.

Should: Vita Vea DT
Defensive tackle is a big area of need and little else makes sense at this point in the draft. The system will be to stop the opposition getting easy yards on the ground and then to give it to Zeke. That's pretty Dak friendly.

Do: Vita Vea DT
I can't see how the Cowboys leave him and think anyone else is better.

20.   Detroit Lions

Notes: I think this is the most interesting team in the NFL. I know...I know...but a good QB, three good receivers, talk of Jimmy Graham upgrading on Eric Ebron at TE, franchise tagged DE Ziggy Ansah and an elite cornerback in Darius Slay, all coached by former Patriots DC, Matt Patricia. The division is horribly competitive but they're not far behind Minnesota or Green Bay.

Should: Derrius Guice RB
Hard to overlook the gaping hole at running back. Guice is the only other running back beyond Saquon that I’d confidently take in the first round. He has versatility that will appeal to Patricia too.

Do: Da’Ron Payne DT
Versatility applies here, as well. Payne is sharp, quick and scary. If you are a defensive guy looking to build a defense, this makes a lot of sense. The team already has AShawn Robinson but there's no reason why they can't have both. This selection enhances Ziggy's threat on the outside, too. Move over Minny!

21.   Buffalo Bills

Notes: Having lost Eric Wood at center and with Kyle Williams still deciding whether to leave, Tyrod Taylor doesn't seem like such a problem right now for the men from upstate New York. The Bills can't think of last year as a minimum expectation. They overachieved for sure. Now is the time to be sensible and build, with 5 picks in the first three rounds. They picked up Chris Ivory as the back up running back, which I think was a very good move. Now for everything else.

Should: Isaiah Wynn G
What I like about Wynn is his athleticism. He's not tall but he is efficient and will get upfield, which this Bills offense needs. It's not out of the question that he becomes a center, at 300lb.

Do: Isaiah Wynn G
Billy Price was long linked with the Bills but I'm not sure they can afford to take a risk on him, after his injury. I think he would be their first choice, though. I'll stick with Wynn as a default.

22.   Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City)

Notes: as above.

Should: Kolton Miller OT
Approximately five metres tall (well, 6'9") and following a fine performance in the Combine, Miller's stock is high. The Bills have struggled on the right hand side of the OLine, with a rolling stock of mediocrity and guff. Miller would offer support on the edge. He isn't a finished product by any means, but he could be a steal. Whatever he is, he is an upgrade.

Do: Lamar Jackson QB
Jackson did something odd at the Combine: he didn't run. What's odd about that is he's really good at it. So Darnold didn't their and Jackson didn't run. Go figure! The Bills get a quarterback who has a cannon for an arm and who is a very good runner. His ceiling is several floors higher than Tyrod and keeping Taylor for a year would enable the Bills to maintain the system when the changeover inevitably comes. It's a decision that makes sense. Who knows: they might have just drafted Michael Vick.

23.   Los Angeles Rams

Notes: Much to Todd Gurley's chagrin, the Rams traded linebacker Alex Ogletree for some late round picks. Add to that the unceremonious dumping of Tavon “JetSweep” Austin. This probably is all necessary to free up enough cap space to pay Aaron Donald whatever number he can think of. And that is the number they should pay him. They have brought in Marcus Peters, which arguably saves them the need to spend their first pick on a cornerback. A burgeoning quarterback, a strong running game, talented chain moving receivers and a grumpy defense, all under the stewardship of the 2017 coach of the year. This is a team on the up.

Should: Rashaan Evans LB
The position of greatest need is often a plan. Evans is a big, quick linebacker, who'll be a good fit in an imaginative defensive scheme. I think he'd be a really good fit here.

Do: Jaire Alexander CB
Stole the show in the Combine and offers something a bit different for a team that could do with a nickel corner. A close call, here, but I think they might get a guy if they really fancy one of the many corners left.

24.   Carolina Panthers

Notes: Carolina are in a tough spot. They're in a very competitive division, which makes getting that all-important home field advantage all the tougher. They also have a roster that is in a bit of flux at a few positions, with some decent names heading off to find new employment. All this while still having enough talent to be competitive. Jonathan Stewart leaves Christian McCaffrey as the main running back (if you don't include Cam Newton). Andrew Norwell leaves a hole at guard. They desperately need cornerbacks, too. Oh and probably a wide receiver, if Curtis Samuel isn't going to turn into one.

Should: Mike Hughes CB
I could find an argument for a different position, but I think Hughes is good enough to justify the selection. On some boards, he's the top corner and he comes into the team straight away.

Do: Mike McGlinchey OT
Cam Newton keeps getting hit in the head, so bringing in a big bloke to stop opposing big blokes from hitting him in the head does make sense, when you put it that way. The depth of the cornerback class appeals for rounds 2 and 3, plus the wide receivers not called Ridley are a stretch at 24.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »

25.   Tennessee Titans

Notes: Mike Vrabel is now in charge. He is probably not going for the “exotic smashmouth" nonsense that has held this team back. Now they must kick on because they lost ground to the Jaguars in the AFC South last year.

Should: Lorenzo Carter DE
This might be a reach, but I was very impressed with his performance at the Combine. The Titans need a pass rush and, though his college numbers aren't great, that is partly owing to him being in a rotational system. A safer pick would be the linebacker, Leighton Vander Esch, but both have the dual threat make up that Vrabel will want. Get Carter.

Do: Leighton Vander Esch LB
Vrabel, the former Texans linebacker coach, picks a linebacker. But he's a good'n. His Combine performance was excellent, too. I had him sneaking into the first round last time but he might now end up going quite a bit higher.

26.   Atlanta Falcons

Notes: The Falcons thought they might have signed Michael Bennett, but he chose the Super Bowl champions instead. They’ve restructured left guard Andy Levitre’s contract, which suggests they won’t be spending big on an upgrade in the linemen. It also suggests they’re trying to bring in a big name defender like Mo Wilkerson or Sheldon Richardson and needed to get the wage bill down, in order to meet the cap. There’s an outside chance they look at a wide receiver in free agency, but their biggest needs are on defense, where they were disappointingly mediocre last year.

Should: Taven Bryan DT
Now it’s possible they find a deal for a veteran without a team or during the legal tampering period, but, even if they do, there’s scope for bringing in a rookie who needs a bit of work. Bryan had a superb Combine but was unpolished in his college career. He’ll need a year behind a veteran and needs a team that can coach him.

Do: Taven Bryan DT
Vic Beasley, Tak McKinley and Taven Bryan mark a young, hungry defense that is hoping to become what the Seahawks were, when Falcons Head Coach Dan Quinn was their Defensive Coordinator.

27.   New Orleans Saints

Notes: The Saints were on the rough end of the Minneapolis Miracle, else they would have been going to the NFC Championship game in Philly. A much improved defense – ok that wasn’t difficult – and a stud running back corps has propelled the team from average to challenger. They have two big areas of need: tight end and linebacker. If they can improve on those two areas, they have a very interesting team. There is talk of Jimmy Graham coming back. Not sure I believe it.

There are a number of linebackers to choose from, here, plus a fair few available on the market, but Evans is an instant starter and his ten inch hands will be all over plenty of opposing jerseys for years to come.

Do: Mike Gesicki TE
I’m pretty sure they’d go Tight End, if the draft played out as it has here. Which one they plump for is a toughie. Goedirt apparently has some long term injury concerns, Hurst’s 25 so how much better is he going to get, and Gesicki struggles to block defensive backs. I’ve gone Gesicki, as blocking is probably a lesser consideration in this team than others.

28.   Pittsburgh Steelers

Notes: RB Lev Bell is the big offseason story, as he pushes for a lot more money. He’ll get it, despite all the histrionics in the press. WR superstar Antonio Brown has restructured his contract, in order to create the cap space necessary to get down to business. The linebacker corps is weakened by the loss of Ryan Shazier. His return is unclear at best, having suffered in a horrible incident last year. They need a threat to quarterbacks and could do with bolstering the secondary.

Much as an outside threat would be ideal, I think Evans is the pick of the linebackers left on the board.

Do: Ronnie Harrison S
Harrison played alongside Minkah Fitzpatrick at Alabama, so there’s an outside chance the Steelers have drafted Sergei Rebrov, rather than Andrei Shevchenko, but Fitzpatrick and Harrison are different players and Harrison will be joining a decent defense. What he brings is an upgrade on the run defense, which is where the Steelers are weakest. 6’3” and 214lb are handy stats, as was his ten foot broad jump at the Combine, showing his explosiveness.

29.   Jacksonville Jaguars

Notes: The best defense in football last year, certainly against the pass. They were one game away from the complete turnaround from laughing stock to Super Bowl team, but the jokes have unquestionably stopped and they are the best of the three Florida teams, without question. Offense is the obvious area of need, particularly at wide receiver, with Allen Robinson and Marquise Lee probably not returning. I doubt they will spend a first round pick on one, though, as their formula seems to be finding guys lower down.

Should: Hayden Hurst TE
The Jags need a guy who’ll start straight away and help Blake Bortles out. Hurst is a former baseball player – hence why he’s joining at 25 – already physically developed and well placed to add to an offense that needs to move the chains when teams stack the box against Leonard Fournette’s running game.

Do: Hayden Hurst TE
The former South Carolina player will have fun playing the Panthers twice a year.

30.   Minnesota Vikings

Notes: the discussions this offseason have almost exclusively been about the quarterback situation. They have three and it seems implausible that all three are there in September. Or May. Sam Bradford is probably the most talented, Case Keenum is wanted by the Broncos and Teddy is the most likely to stick around as a back-up, possibly to Kirk Cousins. There’s scope for a trade down to the second round.

Should: Billy Price C/G
Had he not torn his pectoral in the bench press, he would likely have been higher up. It’s cost him a few quid, but it might work out for him, as he gets drafted by a genuine contender to help a pretty mediocre run offense.

Do: Billy Price C/G
He joins up with Pat Eflein, the Vikings Center who he played with in college. Assuming he’s able to recover from his injury – and no reason to suppose he won’t – he improves a very good offensive line.

31.   New England Patriots

Notes: Last year’s Super Bowl runners up could end up with a few tricky decisions, as a number of their players are out of contract. The Pats do have a habit of being able to get their players back on reduced contracts; it’s almost as though players quite fancy playing for a perennial championship team, under the greatest coach and best quarterback of them all. Mystery, eh? TE Martellus Bennett has left. CB Malcolm Butler is going, so there is a gap there, as Stephon Gilmore has shown himself to be only good in man coverage and the Pats play a mixture of systems, from play to play. They could look for a new quarterback – no, not to start – but Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett are no longer there to step into the Pats jersey, when Tom Brady retires in 2036. The Pats have 3 picks in the first two rounds, so expect defense to dominate. They also love trading down to the second round.

Should: Sam Hubbard LB
The other area the Patriots really struggle in is pass rush and this could be the best guy in the draft at that who isn’t called Bradley Chubb. He fits the mould of a Belichick edge rusher at 6’5” and 270lb. Arden Key is an option, too, but I think this is more what the Pats have been missing since Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones left. Key also carries some off-field concerns.

Do: Sam Hubbard LB
I think this is a perfect fit and, barring something major, it’s one I think as close to likely as a 30-variable situation can be.

32.   Philadelphia Eagles

Notes: The quarterback situation is an interesting one. Expect Foles to stay, though, behind Carson Wentz. He is settled and happy, plus the team can afford to keep them both on the roster, as Wentz is still on his rookie deal and Foles isn’t due a gargantuan amount of cash in 2018. With Michael Bennett coming in on a trade, the Eagles improve on the pass rush and boast a formidable offensive line. LB Nigel Bradham is probably going to find a home somewhere else and Vinny Curry seems unlikely to be sticking around, unless he’s prepared to take a substantial pay-cut. On top of that, there’s a chance they look to offload one of their cornerbacks for a draft pick.

Should: Mike Hughes CB
Best available makes sense and Hughes has all the talent, without the team forcing him to be a stud player. There’s a really good coaching network in place and he will be one of the guys straight away.

Do: Rashaan Evans LB
Another perfectly good option, filling a gap for the champs. It’s not out of the question that the team improves from its offseason work. They could well be contenders again.

16 offense and 16 defense again, coincidentally. Plenty of variables there and all set to change between now and the draft in late April.

Any feedback welcome.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »

fantastic to read thanks

wish i had any time,i might do you my one liner 1-32 though!

yours 2003 football outsiders draft prediction champion lol (back when life was simpler)

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: