blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 359366 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 07, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »

Some decent explanation of why it is a problem:

https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1247458186300456960?s=21

Surely someone who has a job at the FT can do basic maths?

If a is reported as 100 when it should be 180 is not 80% understated but 44% understated.   80% understated would be reporting 36 deaths.

The real world is not ideal.  We know there is a lag; so we do the easy thing and adjust our model rather than pretending that there is a way of making the real world like our model.

Having said that, the 7,000 low estimate for deaths looks even more ridiculous now.  It is almost like they have never done this before.

Like I suggested before it does seem like the FT have made an editorial stance decision that has to be pushed no matter what.

They can make the same story but 80% makes a better headline than 44%

Thats even before you take into account whether percentages are the best way to represent it anyway. But I haven't looked that closely at the figures so I can't comment on that.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 07, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »

Meantime, we can always rely on the BBC News web pages to give us a clear insight. Apparently, “Most Coronavirus deaths are occurring in hospitals”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52196978

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 07, 2020, 04:49:58 PM »

The Raab-bit is on duty again. Would have sold plenty of words but it appears Sporting have pulled the plug.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 07, 2020, 11:41:46 PM »

Very underwhelming briefing tonight.

Slippery Raab never answers the questions properly so I don’t know why he goes back to the hacks as they just treat that same thing. They shouldn’t bother with the comebacks.

My local hospital has a drive by testing area, and it wasn’t one of the cities Raab mentioned. So he’s not been very well briefed with that one.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 08, 2020, 12:09:16 AM »

Slippery Raab never answers the questions properly so I don’t know why he goes back to the hacks as they just treat that same thing. They shouldn’t bother with the comebacks.

My local hospital has a drive by testing area, and it wasn’t one of the cities Raab mentioned. So he’s not been very well briefed with that one.

The thing is they are often asking the same Q’s again and again that they don’t have answers to right now, what Q’s do you feel aren’t answered?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 08, 2020, 10:41:05 AM »

Amazing what they can do in a short time.  This is a colaboration between Mercedes F1 team and UCL.

As I understand it, they have reverse engineered an out of patent CPAP machine, and added in a flow of oxygen to make something that is a step between a CPAP and a ventilator.  Then they have made the licence free to all official organisations fighting Coronavirus.

https://covid19research.uclb.com/product/ucl-cpap

For those unaware, a CPAP just forces normal air into your lungs when you are sleeping so that sleep apnoea sufferers don't stop breathing in the night.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 08, 2020, 10:57:15 AM »

Amazing what they can do in a short time.  This is a colaboration between Mercedes F1 team and UCL.

As I understand it, they have reverse engineered an out of patent CPAP machine, and added in a flow of oxygen to make something that is a step between a CPAP and a ventilator.  Then they have made the licence free to all official organisations fighting Coronavirus.

https://covid19research.uclb.com/product/ucl-cpap

For those unaware, a CPAP just forces normal air into your lungs when you are sleeping so that sleep apnoea sufferers don't stop breathing in the night.

That’s awesome.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 08, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »

I’m still trying to understand how Neil Ferguson said his model was showing a best case scenario in which total deaths was lower than the number of deaths that there already were at the time of the interview:

The best case here would appears to be a good outcome from where we are now:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 08, 2020, 01:51:53 PM »

The thing is they are often asking the same Q’s again and again that they don’t have answers to right now, what Q’s do you feel aren’t answered?

A good way to get a feel for how bad our press conferences are, is to watch the equivalent events with Sturgeon in Scotland and Cuomo in the New York.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 08, 2020, 04:21:09 PM »

from the BBC scotland page

There are currently 4,565 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Scotland, although the actual number of cases is likely to be more than 450,000.

thats nearly 1 in 10 people in scotland likely to have it

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 08, 2020, 05:01:31 PM »

Big number today - 938

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 08, 2020, 05:07:33 PM »

Big number today - 938

Gonna keep going up for a week or two more before it gets better......
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 08, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »

Big number today - 938

Gonna keep going up for a week or two more before it gets better......

London is 2 about 2 weeks behind italy and rest of country is 2 weeks behind London hoping the lockdown in this country and slow it down faster though

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 08, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21P1VF

This is an interesting read from Reuters.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 09, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »

It will certainly be the mother of all public enquiries. The scientists will be aware that the full weight of the tory machine will be trying to throw them under the bus. I think it’s fair to say that scientists that are being leant on by a clown, stop being scientists for the period they under the clowns influence.

This is good:
https://youtu.be/05-jbrHRmrs

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: