blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 244 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 359181 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: January 07, 2021, 01:30:18 PM »

Thanks, great story further down his feed about the last pension payment to the family of someone whos parents had a US civil war pension

Hadn't seen that.  It appears she never took the pension, or never applied, which may be different.  If you read the original tweet apparently her husband's kids threatened to ruin her reputation if she took it.  Different times.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: January 07, 2021, 01:48:11 PM »

Thanks, great story further down his feed about the last pension payment to the family of someone whos parents had a US civil war pension

Hadn't seen that.  It appears she never took the pension, or never applied, which may be different.  If you read the original tweet apparently her husband's kids threatened to ruin her reputation if she took it.  Different times.

Aah, not like me to reach the wrong conclusion

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: January 07, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »

Aah, not like me to reach the wrong conclusion

I wasn't correcting you.  I assumed she had been paid until I read the thread.  I am still not entirely sure.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: January 07, 2021, 02:27:20 PM »

https://twitter.com/FatEmperor/status/1346863366002909184

Ivor back at it with another 'Most Important video I've ever put together'

lead us not into temptation...  I am thinking I don't need to watch this, so instead end up reading what the smiley faces say which is no better.

I got sideswiped by it popping up, and couldn't resist... Needed to share the pain Cheesy

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: January 07, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »

It is just a bad flu season...

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1347200811303055364

Love the way our favourite stats guy makes an appearance. 

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: January 07, 2021, 05:40:41 PM »

It is just a bad flu season...

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1347200811303055364

Love the way our favourite stats guy makes an appearance. 

Then goes quiet when shown up for the weapon he is.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: January 07, 2021, 05:57:20 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/jake_zuckerman/status/1346884202978017281

Almost like these scientists know what they're doing.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: January 08, 2021, 01:24:06 AM »

Really grim reading

https://twitter.com/ADMBriggs/status/1347204295318507524

cliffs: Everything looking shit.  Care homes are starting to be badly affected again.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: January 08, 2021, 03:01:53 AM »

Bad times, for sure.

That took me off on more tangents than I'd wished... Saw far too many smiley faces and eggs, too.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: January 08, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »

I didn't do an update last week, but the cases never did go below 300 a day on any day in England and we have had a couple of days above 400 in December.  When the lag works through, we are likely to see several days above 400 cases from the last week or so, plus a higher number than the earlier wave 2 peak in mid November.  As I mentioned last time, I wasn't expecting the cases to drop much, and though there have been days where the number dropped near to 300 deaths a day wave 2 never really ended, so wave 3 never really started.  Wales has had it worse and have already past their previous wave 2 peak even before the lag has worked through.

Hospital admissions have gone past their previous wave 2 peak and heading inexorably towards wave 1 levels.  See https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary/status/1341483186124169217.  I know people always hear that this is an old people's disease, but there is a real split of ages amongst the hospital admissions with a good chunk in thier 50s and below.

On the cases by specimen date, I was talking a couple of weeks ago about how we were struggling to get below 15k cases a day in ther UK; that has long gone, and nearly every day in the last week has seen over 30k cases a day. 

I am not going to cover the new variant again, but think things would be looking bad even without it.

Make the most of your little freedoms you have now.  But the darkest hour is before the dawn and all that, so hopefully things will start looking up really soon with the vaccine rollout.

Merry christmas all.  Hope HMRC are sending you money and not the comedy bill they just sent me.   

Hmm, looking back on this..

Yesterday it was announced there were 1,000+ cases a day, which is clearly just a big catch up dump that is because they always use date reported rather than date of death on the news.

The reality is that in England we went through 500 English deaths a day on Christmas Day, and whilst there is still lag in the data, we are very likely to be through 600 in England already, and 700 UK wide.

This thread originally followed the Spectator projection charts, which were based on England and based on some projections used to justify the November lockdown.   What is clear now is that we went under the projections after that lockdown, but we are about to go through the charts for the lowest projections they used.   This is because nearly every projection had a peak in December and started going down.  Deaths are still hitting new wave 2 highs, and rising at about 20% a week, and will be for a couple of weeks until deaths catches up with the recent surge in cases.   

On cases, it is too early to make concrete conclusions on if the latest lockdown has been enough.  I don't want to confirm anything regarding Christmas meet-ups yet, but we were clearly already in a mess before that.  I suspect it will be a minor blip rather than anything massive.  I think most people just didn't meet-up or kept gatherings to a minimium. 

Away from deaths, hospital admissions are stll increasing significantly (see the post from yesterday).  They are clearly going to carry on rising for a couple of weeks, so I don't think the talk of triage is hyperbole.  I think there is bound to be some knock on effect of the limited resources on deaths.

There is some good news elsewhere, with more succesful treatments just announced.  I haven't been monitoring vaccination stats, but might throw something together.  Surely medical services getting overun is not going to be good if some of the same people will be needed for vaccinations.  I wouldn't like to be allocating resources right now. 

Again, this is mostly bad news, and the deaths data is bound to be dreadful for at least another couple of weeks. Hopefully, the lockdown should be making a noticeable difference on other stats towards the end of that period.  It is going to take longer for the vaccinations to make a significant difference simply because it still takes a few weeks to build immunity after vaccination.  I still think things are going to look way better in the sping. 

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: January 08, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »

Moderna now approved, too. 17m doses, and will be available by spring.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: January 09, 2021, 10:34:26 AM »

I missed this gem at the time.  This popped up whilst Allison Pearson, of the Free Speech Union, was trying to cancel another person for saying slightly untrue things about her.

Allison Pearson

@allisonpearson

14 Dec 2020

I’ve asked so many people if they know anyone who has had Covid. Hardly anyone. Two people knew someone (not close) who’d died. Without daily news would we even know there was an epidemic?

Alison Stallard

@AliStallard1

14 Dec 2020

Then you are so bl**dy lucky. Son had it & after effects for 8 weeks, no underlying anything. Elderly father had it but amazingly recovered. You knew you would get these replies...

@allisonpearson

Replying to

@AliStallard1

Sorry? My whole family has had it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1338590216697880576

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: January 09, 2021, 12:59:39 PM »

I saw this from Peter Hitchen this morning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1347876834885701635

The use of the phrase 'covid-denier' is a dogwhistle intended to suggest subliminally that the target is comparable (in wilful ignorance and hatefulness) to someone who denies the Shoah. This is not debate. it is poisoning the wells of truth. Civilised people don't do this

It is an interesting comparison, because don't most holocaust deniers just downplay the holocaust and not flat out deny it happened?

So a holocaust denier would claim that Jews exagerrated their death toll, or put their own ridiculously low number on the total deaths?  A Covid denier would claim this is just like a normal flu season, claim that the fatality rate was only 0.03% or that most of the dying would have died soon anyway. 

I don't as much difference as Peter does in the modus operandi of the two groups.

Interesting how he labels the others uncivilized too.  Strikes me that doing that is a bit uncivilized...

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: January 09, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/louhaley/status/1347580488911888388

This is why I try to stay off Twitter

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: January 09, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »

STOP IT

Love it how it is yet another letter from Allan S Cunningham.  Pretty sure he was "The BMJ says" the other day too. 

The letter is from March 2020.  In January 2021 we no longer need to rely on guesswork based on other illnesses in tiny samples of children.

But yeah, lots of old people have had flu vaccine, so QED.  I bet people who wear incontinence pants have higher risk of Covid too.   Surprised nobody has noticed so far (am not checking). 

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 244 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: