blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 356767 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2020, 08:15:53 PM »

Think weather obv factors into not going ahead, too.

SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »

More cases in the UK, including one which was contracted here and not abroad.  A GP might test positive in Surrey who has been seeing patients all week. https://news.sky.com/story/first-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-wales-and-two-more-in-england-11945201

Cobra meeting on Monday.  The fates of various sporting events could well be decided then. https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/health-and-care/illnesstreatments/news/110192/boris-johnson-chair-emergency-cobra-meeting
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2020, 09:33:39 PM »

After his weekend off, of course Cheesy

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2020, 10:45:24 PM »

I have emptied my betfair account doubling down on my Cheltenham festival bet, after all I won't need any money on betfair if Cheltenham is abandoned.  Am gambling that Dom Cummings puts looking hard above public safety.

I also doubled down yesterday on it not going ahead when the price flicked back out to 3.35 briefly.  Clearly there is a chance both ways but the market was comically mispriced when it opened and is only now starting to reflect reality as people have wised up.  As much as that was a good bet., I am not liking the situation that is unfolding.  A lot of people have and are going to die/get ill plus my equities have taken a brutal hammering this week, far more than the monkey I might profit from this lol market.

The virus could well struggle in warm weather.  Perhaps we will get some good data on that now countries with tropical climates are infected.  Cold Europe with our mass crowds is not in a good spot right now.  If you believe the Chinese data then infections are falling there and the population are being highly controlled.  You can't even go into a shop without a mask on apparently.  That level of control is not possible here but the strategy of control the spread until a vaccine arrives is all that can be done.   Hospitalisation rates of 15-20% would be crippling for the NHS if it keeps spreading.  How far into the outbreak did China go on lockdown?  We are already infected and have not even bothered yet so brace yourselves.  I saw Moody's rated this as 40% chance of pandemic yesterday.  Complete clowns.
Read my posts. I actually live  in China.   It’s not you cannot go into a shop without a mask , you cannot be in public without a mask .  I wish I could find the time to say how it is here .  China will become the safest place due to the restrictions they put in place earlier when they were being ignored by the west .  I repeat only China could have contained this virus how they did with total lockdown

You talk about warm weather killing the virus.  It is actually said it takes heat , sunlight and humidity to kill it .  For us in China that is usually May  for that to happen .   I honestly think  the sign when the government will announce its over officially over  it will be when schools are allowed to open . Currently here is 16 th March.  Hong Kong & J.apan is 20th April . Go figure

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2020, 11:26:22 PM »

This may be of interest; it’s the latest advice from BA senior management to airline staff in various customer facing roles:-

“Airport protection measures

We continue to work with the requirements of Port Health and Heathrow Airport to protect our airline and the airport. As a precaution, additional public health measures are now being seen at Heathrow on flights to and from Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau.

We appreciate that the sight of Port Health staff in full personal protective equipment meeting aircraft may be unsettling. But rest assured that these measures are only precautionary, and the risk to individuals in the UK remains low.

The most effective form of prevention at our airport is good hand washing techniques, as advised by WHO.

Masks

Many of you have asked about the effectiveness of masks. Despite what you may see in the media, all expert international authorities still advise that are not effective. Some organisations have found masks to be potentially more hazardous, due to the need to touch your face.

As we’ve mentioned, the best form of prevention is good and regular hand washing techniques.

Contamination

Unlike other coronaviruses, with COVID-19 it’s believed that direct airborne spread is not significant. The main risk is from contamination of surfaces by droplets containing the virus that have been spread by an infected person. To get the disease a person has to spread this to lining tissue in the eyes, nose or mouth. Getting virus onto the skin is no risk provided it doesn’t contact the eyes, nose or mouth. It’s believed that close contact (probably less than 2m distance and more than 15 minutes) is needed.

This is why, consistent with all international expert authorities, we’re continuing to remind you that excellent hand hygiene is vital and the most effective form prevention.”

There’s more, but I think this is the most relevant.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2020, 11:28:23 PM »

Just heard a rumor that John Lennon Airport in Liverpool has been closed due to the Corona virus. That's tough on everyone. Imagine all the people?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2020, 02:53:35 AM »

Read my posts. I actually live  in China.   It’s not you cannot go into a shop without a mask , you cannot be in public without a mask .  I wish I could find the time to say how it is here .  China will become the safest place due to the restrictions they put in place earlier when they were being ignored by the west .  I repeat only China could have contained this virus how they did with total lockdown

Yes and it appears to be working.  There is no chance somewhere like the UK or the USA could carry out such restrictions though.

You talk about warm weather killing the virus.  It is actually said it takes heat , sunlight and humidity to kill it .  For us in China that is usually May  for that to happen .   I honestly think  the sign when the government will announce its over officially over  it will be when schools are allowed to open . Currently here is 16 th March.  Hong Kong & J.apan is 20th April . Go figure

I read some discussion earlier suggesting it's definitely struggling in the hot countries.  It does not appear to be spreading strongly in Singapore and Thailand for two.  Whenever the vaccine comes it will be dead but the Summer could make it much much less of a problem first.  Global warming might have a use after all!

Some guy in America here who thinks he has it (and has travelled to a high risk country).  Doctors agreed but officials refuse to test him and sent him away to do what he wants

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/fayko1/my_covid19_story_brooklyn/
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:08:46 AM by SuperJez » Logged
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2020, 08:08:28 AM »

Just heard a rumor that John Lennon Airport in Liverpool has been closed due to the Corona virus. That's tough on everyone. Imagine all the people?

Cheesy

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2020, 08:13:07 AM »

If there cancelling Cheltenham then they should be closing the London Underground?

I would suggest the odds of them closing the underground are a lot lower than the current betfair price for the festival to go ahead.

I'm on the festival goes ahead for a Cheltenham budget boost, the expectation for the week has increased exponentially.

Plus paper headlines are lol out of control about this!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »

I have emptied my betfair account doubling down on my Cheltenham festival bet, after all I won't need any money on betfair if Cheltenham is abandoned.  Am gambling that Dom Cummings puts looking hard above public safety.

I also doubled down yesterday on it not going ahead when the price flicked back out to 3.35 briefly.  Clearly there is a chance both ways but the market was comically mispriced when it opened and is only now starting to reflect reality as people have wised up.  As much as that was a good bet., I am not liking the situation that is unfolding.  A lot of people have and are going to die/get ill plus my equities have taken a brutal hammering this week, far more than the monkey I might profit from this lol market.

The virus could well struggle in warm weather.  Perhaps we will get some good data on that now countries with tropical climates are infected.  Cold Europe with our mass crowds is not in a good spot right now.  If you believe the Chinese data then infections are falling there and the population are being highly controlled.  You can't even go into a shop without a mask on apparently.  That level of control is not possible here but the strategy of control the spread until a vaccine arrives is all that can be done.   Hospitalisation rates of 15-20% would be crippling for the NHS if it keeps spreading.  How far into the outbreak did China go on lockdown?  We are already infected and have not even bothered yet so brace yourselves.  I saw Moody's rated this as 40% chance of pandemic yesterday.  Complete clowns.
Read my posts. I actually live  in China.   It’s not you cannot go into a shop without a mask , you cannot be in public without a mask .  I wish I could find the time to say how it is here .  China will become the safest place due to the restrictions they put in place earlier when they were being ignored by the west .  I repeat only China could have contained this virus how they did with total lockdown

You talk about warm weather killing the virus.  It is actually said it takes heat , sunlight and humidity to kill it .  For us in China that is usually May  for that to happen .   I honestly think  the sign when the government will announce its over officially over  it will be when schools are allowed to open . Currently here is 16 th March.  Hong Kong & J.apan is 20th April . Go figure

You might be right about getting it under control now with the restrictions etc. But there has to be a question mark about whether they would even be in this spot now if they hadn’t tried to sweep if under the carpet at the very start including shutting up the people that were raising it as an issue. If it was in the Uk they would have been on top of the issue way earlier because it would have been out in the open very quickly. Ultimately it’s hard to say how much of a difference it would make, but the question mark is there nonetheless.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »

Read my posts. I actually live  in China.   It’s not you cannot go into a shop without a mask , you cannot be in public without a mask .  I wish I could find the time to say how it is here .  China will become the safest place due to the restrictions they put in place earlier when they were being ignored by the west .  I repeat only China could have contained this virus how they did with total lockdown

Yes and it appears to be working.  There is no chance somewhere like the UK or the USA could carry out such restrictions though.

You talk about warm weather killing the virus.  It is actually said it takes heat , sunlight and humidity to kill it .  For us in China that is usually May  for that to happen .   I honestly think  the sign when the government will announce its over officially over  it will be when schools are allowed to open . Currently here is 16 th March.  Hong Kong & J.apan is 20th April . Go figure

I read some discussion earlier suggesting it's definitely struggling in the hot countries.  It does not appear to be spreading strongly in Singapore and Thailand for two.  Whenever the vaccine comes it will be dead but the Summer could make it much much less of a problem first.  Global warming might have a use after all!

Some guy in America here who thinks he has it (and has travelled to a high risk country).  Doctors agreed but officials refuse to test him and sent him away to do what he wants

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/fayko1/my_covid19_story_brooklyn/

Wow. that reddit guys experience is mad, but I read the first lot of testing kits in the US didn't work anyway.  Must have sourced them from that magic card guy.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »

If there cancelling Cheltenham then they should be closing the London Underground?

I would suggest the odds of them closing the underground are a lot lower than the current betfair price for the festival to go ahead.

I'm on the festival goes ahead for a Cheltenham budget boost, the expectation for the week has increased exponentially.

You might as well lump the entire roll on Cheltenham going ahead Stu as if it doesn't you won't need it Smiley

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »

You might as well lump the entire roll on Cheltenham going ahead Stu as if it doesn't you won't need it Smiley

I was thinking half of it so its win/win!

Beer on Friday Ralph if it's not on?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2020, 11:54:20 AM »

I was thinking half of it so its win/win!

Beer on Friday Ralph if it's not on?

Sounds good.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2020, 07:53:27 PM »

France has banned indoor gatherings of more than 5000 people.  This includes the half-marathon coming on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51690657
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: