blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353746 times)
bunnydas8888

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2020, 04:49:09 AM »

Jason Burt
@JBurtTelegraph
·
1h
In light of Mikel Arteta being tested positive for coronavirus the Premier League is expected to be suspended tomorrow.

Hudson-odoi also positive and entire Chelsea squad into self isolation!
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2020, 04:54:04 AM »

Think Boris is bungling this.

Events moving faster than him.

Asking people to self isolate for 7 days isn’t going to wash. 😏
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2020, 07:07:13 AM »

This illustrates what broadly annoys me about journalism.

Coronavirus: UK's approach 'concerning', says Jeremy Hunt

This article contains the opinion of 3 people.

1. Keith Neal, emeritus professor in the epidemiology of infectious diseases at the University of Nottingham - who thinks that the UK plan is sensible
2. Susan Michie, professor of health psychology at University College London - who pretty much says you kind of guess what to do in an epidemic because everyone knows 'what' to do but not 'when' to do it (a lot of this is inferred because she only gets about a sentence in the article)

and
3. Jeremy Hunt - as an ex-minister, he no longer has access to all the advisors; in terms of qualifications and experience he is basically - some bloke.

The BBC is actually good journalism because they include all 3 of these opinions - but it's still annoying how the actual experts get a sentence or a paragraph and 'some bloke' gets the headline and the emphasis of the article.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2020, 07:51:24 AM »

1. Keith Neal, emeritus professor in the epidemiology of infectious diseases at the University of Nottingham - who thinks that the UK plan is sensible
2. Susan Michie, professor of health psychology at University College London - who pretty much says you kind of guess what to do in an epidemic because everyone knows 'what' to do but not 'when' to do it (a lot of this is inferred because she only gets about a sentence in the article)

and
3. Jeremy Hunt - as an ex-minister, he no longer has access to all the advisors; in terms of qualifications and experience he is basically - some bloke.

The BBC is actually good journalism because they include all 3 of these opinions - but it's still annoying how the actual experts get a sentence or a paragraph and 'some bloke' gets the headline and the emphasis of the article.

He was health secretary for 6 years and us chair of the health and social.care committee.   Think that makes him more than "some bloke".

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »

and

He was health secretary for 6 years and us chair of the health and social.care committee.   Think that makes him more than "some bloke".

If he has based his opinion on expert testimony to the Health and Social Care Committee then I still don't like journalists but I'd give some sort of retraction - but, as far as I know they've only had a single preliminary meeting about coronavirus and that was a while ago: so I don't think it's likely.

Government ministers aren't experts - they're managers.

Being Health Secretary is irrelevant unless he's also dealt with the same situation and learned all the expertise from it.

The epidemics he was around for were Zika - but that pretty much came to nothing over here; and H1N1.

H1N1 was qualititatively different to this outbreak and if he is using that experience to inform his judgement here then that is not a good thing.

H1N1 was much more infectious in the open air then this coronavirus - so closing public events becomes a different decision making tree, and
H1N1 had much more of an impact on children and adolescents - so closing schools becomes a different decision making tree.

Basically if he is using his experience as Health Secretary to inform his current decisions he could arguably be doing worse than the average person.

That's not to say that his opinion is necessarily wrong and the government opinion is right - there's still a whole bunch of judgement involved; but without his ministerial briefings he's not in as good a position to make that judgement. Unless, and until, he gets extra advice from experts his judgement is about the same as the ... maybe not average.. but at least the well read man on the street.

It's not like they couldn't still have the same article with the same headline - I just think it would be more accurate to portray it as; experts advising the government think this is a rational course of action - other experts agree with them - but the former Health Secretary disagrees.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »

experts advising the government think this is a rational course of action - other experts agree with them - but the former Health Secretary disagrees.

I would say unfortunately you aren't going to get a job as a sub editor with headlines like that. Needs to be snappy, concise and to the point!
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2020, 09:59:03 AM »

Came into London on British Rail & Tube today. A lot less busy than usual, overlaid with a subdued atmosphere. Read the article that Doobs linked on the way in, and began to think this might be my last trip to the smoke for awhile. In fact there may not be a choice, since I heard a rumor that the Tube’s going to be shut down (possibly fake news, ofc).

Met a mate at a pub near Victoria station for beers & lunch: earily quiet. Now I’m in the Hippodrome playing cash, and they’ve only just opened a third table: very slow. Never seen anything quite like it, tbh. Hate to concede defeat to this thing, but nothing other than restricted contact makes any sense till it’s over.

Good luck tows all Blondes.

Into London this morning. Like travelling on a Sunday morning. Obvs a lot of companies and individuals actively distancing already. Think this is what the government wants without having to mandate it too soon. Pretty smart imo

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »

Don't know if I read this here or somewhere else but the number of 'names' getting this would seem to imply zillions more have already got this. How's my science JonMW or am I spouting blx as usual

sola virtus nobilitat
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »

Came into London on British Rail & Tube today. A lot less busy than usual, overlaid with a subdued atmosphere. Read the article that Doobs linked on the way in, and began to think this might be my last trip to the smoke for awhile. In fact there may not be a choice, since I heard a rumor that the Tube’s going to be shut down (possibly fake news, ofc).

Met a mate at a pub near Victoria station for beers & lunch: earily quiet. Now I’m in the Hippodrome playing cash, and they’ve only just opened a third table: very slow. Never seen anything quite like it, tbh. Hate to concede defeat to this thing, but nothing other than restricted contact makes any sense till it’s over.

Into London this morning. Like travelling on a Sunday morning. Obvs a lot of companies and individuals actively distancing already. Think this is what the government wants without having to mandate it too soon. Pretty smart imo

Yep, when I first heard it I thought he had lost his mind but reading more into it last night it actually seems a very measured approach.

All the people screwing about closing schools don't seem to have taken into account the choice of zero pay while they look after the kids, or sending them off to infect the vulnerable grandparents who have to take them out to play somewhere as they cant handle them in the house for 2 weeks so they still all infect each other and the elderly population too.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2020, 10:06:33 AM »

Yep, when I first heard it I thought he had lost his mind but reading more into it last night it actually seems a very measured approach.

All the people screwing about closing schools don't seem to have taken into account the choice of zero pay while they look after the kids, or sending them off to infect the vulnerable grandparents who have to take them out to play somewhere as they cant handle them in the house for 2 weeks so they still all infect each other and the elderly population too.

I
People are hysterical. Soon have all anti government types begging the government to be more fascistic

sola virtus nobilitat
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »

Don't know if I read this here or somewhere else but the number of 'names' getting this would seem to imply zillions more have already got this. How's my science JonMW or am I spouting blx as usual

Think that's already been covered under a slightly different question Cheesy

So the Government says if you feel ill you should self-isolate. Well if people are doing that how are they confirming new cases.
I feel rough today, so if I self-isolate and I'm lucky enough to recover, I won't know if I had it or not.

It's if you have a fever or a persistent cough - so not exactly just if you feel ill.

There will be many, many people who don't get counted in the official figures because they just had mild symptoms (or no symptoms) and didn't even necessarily think it wasn't just  a cold.

But if you feel ill enough to think you might need a doctor then you need to call 111 and if they think it's necessary they will refer you for a test.

Self isolating by itself doesn't really make a difference - if you were ill enough to phone 111 then it wouldn't matter if you were at work or not, and if you were they'd tell you to self isolate.

To add - it's a bit odd seeing so many people saying the UK is an outlier because we're "doing nothing"

This was the change from trying to get everyone with the virus in hospital to explicitly admitting that was no longer possible and hospital was now more about whether you actually need hospital treatment.

We've been taking measures to slow down it's spread - we just haven't been taking all the same measures, at the same time, as everyone else.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »

We've been taking measures to slow down it's spread - we just haven't been taking all the same measures, at the same time, as everyone else.

Have we? Can't say I've noticed.

(Also blue is my colour)

Blue text
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »

Have we? Can't say I've noticed.

(Also blue is my colour)

One author uses blue text and Cf posts again. Nice to hear from you :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »

Wonder if we will get discounted sports packages for next month or 2 with no live sport?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2020, 12:53:07 PM »

Wonder if we will get discounted sports packages for next month or 2 with no live sport?

They are showing all Bundesliga matches for free on German TV this weekend!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: