blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353731 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 19, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »

Reports coming in of London being under military lockdown by the weekend troops are already being deployed not sure how much truth in this

It's bullshit like this that gets people panicking.

Please just stop.

https://www.wibc.com/news/international/uk-considers-partial-lockdown-in-london-and-the-army-may-be-deployed-to-help-enforce-it/

sky and bbc news channels showing troops getting ready to help out

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-zero-prospect-of-restrictions-on-travel-in-and-out-of-london-downing-street-11960212

so they have obviously been reports of a london lock down otherwise reporters wouldnt not be asking officials

my post said there was reports of it and i didn't know how much truth was in the reports 

i think it was a balanced post

do i think the world is about to end NO
do i think alot of people are going to die YES
i am scared YES

will i always post my opinions YES

just because they might be different opinions to other people doesn't make them less valid

I wouldn't respond in quite the same way but when you say there have been reports - reports from where?

Or was it people on twitter saying there have been reports of it?

The journalists will ask a question if people are talking about it on social media.

My guess is some people saw military people on the roads and jumped to the conclusion (but if there was anything in the slightest bit official let us know)

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/03/18/breaking-military-sources-say-uk-to-go-into-lockdown-from-friday-amidst-virus-fear/#.XnNq7Kj7SUk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/16/uks-coronavirus-lockdown-has-already-begun-unofficially-northern/

https://kvia.com/news/us-world/2020/03/19/uk-considering-partial-lockdown-in-london/

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-london-superspreader-city-facing-strict-lockdown-measures/news-story/36b431c64cb21e0735772b7e298bc94b

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11205235/army-preparing-troops-coronavirus-fight/

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 19, 2020, 12:57:05 PM »

sorry JonMW i thought most people using this forum could use google

i dont know how reliable these sources are

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 19, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »

Pretty much everything that's been mooted so far has happened in the following day or two, so get ready for Laardon to be locked. Followed by the rest of the country early next week. Imo.

I've not left the house since last Thursday off the back of an email from my rheumatoid arthritis consultant. I'm on biologics and prednisalone, so am considered high risk within the vulnerable rofflers, and I have asthma and bronchiecstasis on top.

The first Tesco home delivery order I did online was last Thursday. The first available slot was Monday (four days). The next one I did was Saturday, when the first slot was this coming Saturday (seven days).

Then it got totally snarled up over the weekend. I did another one on Sunday, when the first delivery slot was a week on Saturday (13 days). So I'm sorted for a few weeks, probably.

Monday's order was pretty much complete aside from a couple of cleaning products. Fk knows what'll be turning up on Saturday though.

I don't believe for a second all these slots have been taken by OAPs and vulnerables, which is pretty shameful.

As of yesterday Italy had seen 20x the number of deaths we've had so far and there's no sign of any panic buying at all over there. Says a lot about our fine country.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 19, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »

Everyone says "don't panic buy food" but it's getting really difficult to get even basics.

The earliest available slots for online supermarket shopping are 2 to 3 weeks away.

Habitually, I go to my local Tesco at 8am each morning & get when I need. This week the queue awaiting opening time at 8am has been round the block, & once inside the shelves are, quite literally, empty. Standing in a queue outside a supermarket every morning is not exactly good social-distancing either.

I've been fairly laid back about the whole thing, & as I live alone I'm used to self isolating, it's my normal lifestyle & I'm completely fine with it. The enormity of it all is dawning on me now & it's seriously scary. And that's before we start worrying about the economic Armageddon that is waiting in the wings.

And if you can manage a "heavy" read, here's a report by Imperial College which scares the life out of me. In the absence of MANTIS I need someone solid & sensible like The Evil Pie,  Dooobs, JonMW or Science Wife to poo poo it to make me feel better.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

I wandered down to my local Asda yesterday afternoon just to see what it was like - didn't really need much but had in mind to get a paper and buy a few ingredients to make fish cakes.

Loads of shelves empty - most fresh fruit and veg gone, not a potato in site, but you could get Leeks Apples - no problem with Parsley so I got some of that.

Nearly all fresh meat gone bar their more expensive steaks but plenty of sausages, bacon, black pudding - just along from there are pies and stuff - quite a few of those and, having switched to comfort eating mode based on the scenes before me I picked up a couple of scotch eggs.

Kipling cakes and biscuits seemed quite plentiful so I picked up a few of those. Got breadcrumbs, frozen mushy peas, frozen fish, frozen prawns. Fortunately I still have a few potatoes here so fishcakes can be made

Most tea and coffee had gone, eggs gone and quite a few other aisles looked pretty empty but tbf, because I can cook a bit, unless they are absolutely empty of everything, like Doobs, we may have to vary what we eat but feels like we'll be alright.

No way am I joining a queue to go to a supermarket at any point (could be famous last words) - I don't have young kids at home so this takes a lot of pressure off the feeling of having to have stuff to provide your family.

All the little local independent shops around me still have plenty of everything no problem, everyone seems to be hitting the supermarket......
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 19, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »

Reports coming in of London being under military lockdown by the weekend troops are already being deployed not sure how much truth in this

It's bullshit like this that gets people panicking.

Please just stop.

https://www.wibc.com/news/international/uk-considers-partial-lockdown-in-london-and-the-army-may-be-deployed-to-help-enforce-it/

sky and bbc news channels showing troops getting ready to help out

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-zero-prospect-of-restrictions-on-travel-in-and-out-of-london-downing-street-11960212

so they have obviously been reports of a london lock down otherwise reporters wouldnt not be asking officials

my post said there was reports of it and i didn't know how much truth was in the reports 

i think it was a balanced post

do i think the world is about to end NO
do i think alot of people are going to die YES
i am scared YES

will i always post my opinions YES

just because they might be different opinions to other people doesn't make them less valid

I wouldn't respond in quite the same way but when you say there have been reports - reports from where?

Or was it people on twitter saying there have been reports of it?

The journalists will ask a question if people are talking about it on social media.

My guess is some people saw military people on the roads and jumped to the conclusion (but if there was anything in the slightest bit official let us know)

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/03/18/breaking-military-sources-say-uk-to-go-into-lockdown-from-friday-amidst-virus-fear/#.XnNq7Kj7SUk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/16/uks-coronavirus-lockdown-has-already-begun-unofficially-northern/

https://kvia.com/news/us-world/2020/03/19/uk-considering-partial-lockdown-in-london/

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-london-superspreader-city-facing-strict-lockdown-measures/news-story/36b431c64cb21e0735772b7e298bc94b

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11205235/army-preparing-troops-coronavirus-fight/

Fair enough it's actual news sources although the last two links specifically mention it's not a military lockdown just that the military are being used to help, and the one before specifically mentioned there isn't a lockdown immediately planned.

I couldn't be bothered with the free trial link on the Telegraph so it's only really the euroweekly one - and that conspicuously says it comes from 'military sources'. But yes - still actual news sources rather than hearsay I give you that.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 19, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »

Nigel Ward
Diane Abbott has called for the BBC to stop filming casualty and holby city so the staff can help out with the corona virus outbreak.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 19, 2020, 01:18:53 PM »

can you be a carrier ( infectious ) without being ill for an extended period ? could i have it..never be ill but infectious for the next 6 months ?

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 19, 2020, 01:26:14 PM »

can you be a carrier ( infectious ) without being ill for an extended period ? could i have it..never be ill but infectious for the next 6 months ?

You know the morbidly obese are part of the vulnerable crew right?

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:54 PM »

If it is similar to other viruses and they seem to believe it is from this point of view, then no. The asymptomatic people would be contagious for the same period as those exhibiting symptoms (there is a case for less) but call it ~five days.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »

If it is similar to other viruses and they seem to believe it is from this point of view, then no. The asymptomatic people would be contagious for the same period as those exhibiting symptoms (there is a case for less) but call it ~five days.

cheers

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 19, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »

lets hope being a knob isnt a high risk group otherwise you really are in trouble looooool

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 19, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »

And if you can manage a "heavy" read, here's a report by Imperial College which scares the life out of me. In the absence of MANTIS I need someone solid & sensible like The Evil Pie,  Dooobs, JonMW or Science Wife to poo poo it to make me feel better.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

If you want to make it easier to read just skip past all the numbers and tables and the like.

If you just stick to the narrative that's in fairly standard English then (I think) it's fairly easy to 'get'.

You might not like it after you 'get' it - but there's not much we can do about that.

The 'normal' way of dealing with flu pandemics will overwhelm critical care and lots of people die.
The 'other' way of dealing with pandemics will probably overwhelm critical care and lots of people die.
The 'best' way of dealing with this pandemic is to alternate the other two ways and critical care might not get overwhelmed. Lots of people will still die though - just not as many.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 19, 2020, 01:40:41 PM »

lets hope being a knob isnt a high risk group otherwise you really are in trouble looooool

Smiley

Doesn't this all seem a bit much though? Basically overhyped sniffles?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 19, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »

Think this is pretty accurate; I think it is likely to be days rather than months.   We won't really know for sure how long right now.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 19, 2020, 01:49:14 PM »

Smiley

Doesn't this all seem a bit much though? Basically overhyped sniffles?

glad to see ur pet Gavin is keeping u up on other convos

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: