blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  This Snooker Final is worse than watching paint dry
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Snooker Final is worse than watching paint dry  (Read 20606 times)
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »

Maguire forgot his chalk at the start of the match.  Murphy complained and the ref docked Maguire a frame.  He didn't want him to go and get it from his dressing room.  Whatever people have to say about Ebdon and Dott, neither would have been so unsporting.  They are proper competitors. Murphy isn't in my opinion

Unreal.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2006, 09:09:29 PM »

What a let down.

I didn't see Shot of the Championship, The Amazing Bogdan, Mike Massey, a replay of Ronnie's 147 or anything decent this year.

Dott is a poor ambassador for snooker IMO. He acted like a moron when he won it and he is also the lowest standard World Champion I remember seeing. Even John Parrott wasn't this bad!

After he won his 15th frame in the final, his highest break was 65! Give me a break. What a poor year for snooker.

In the last 4 world championships Graeme Dott has been beaten by the runner up, been runner up himself, beaten by a semi finalist and won the comp, that isnt the worst standard ever, it is top class play.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
brad.strider

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2006, 09:11:37 PM »

Maguire forgot his chalk at the start of the match.  Murphy complained and the ref docked Maguire a frame.  He didn't want him to go and get it from his dressing room.  Whatever people have to say about Ebdon and Dott, neither would have been so unsporting.  They are proper competitors. Murphy isn't in my opinion
what a  clown, what tourny was this?

Click to see full-size image.
                                   when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »

totesport grand prix.  I think.   I just tried to look on google.  I just typed in Stephen Maguire v's Shaun Murphy..forgotten chalk.. 
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »

What a let down.

I didn't see Shot of the Championship, The Amazing Bogdan, Mike Massey, a replay of Ronnie's 147 or anything decent this year.

Dott is a poor ambassador for snooker IMO. He acted like a moron when he won it and he is also the lowest standard World Champion I remember seeing. Even John Parrott wasn't this bad!

After he won his 15th frame in the final, his highest break was 65! Give me a break. What a poor year for snooker.

In the last 4 world championships Graeme Dott has been beaten by the runner up, been runner up himself, beaten by a semi finalist and won the comp, that isnt the worst standard ever, it is top class play.

If other players ie Higgins, Hendry, O'Sullivan, Williams, were on form he'd have no chance.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2006, 09:34:28 PM »

What a let down.

If other players ie Higgins, Hendry, O'Sullivan, Williams, were on form he'd have no chance.

In the recent Malta cup Dott beat O Sullivan 5-0, and Higgins 6-5, he then lost in the final to Hendry 9-7, he beat O sullivan 17-11 at the weekend. In the longer match tournaments he is one of the best in the world as his world championship record proves.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2006, 09:41:02 PM »

What a let down.

In the recent Malta cup Dott beat O Sullivan 5-0, and Higgins 6-5, he then lost in the final to Hendry 9-7, he beat O sullivan 17-11 at the weekend. In the longer match tournaments he is one of the best in the world as his world championship record proves.

He's just won his first tournament. Ever!
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2006, 09:46:41 PM »

What a let down.

He's just won his first tournament. Ever!

So did last years winner in the same comp, Matthew Stevens has never won a ranking event. This does not make them bad players does it. When Joe Johnson won the world championship he had never won a match on TV before that event, does that mean he isnt entitled to win the comp too?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2006, 09:47:44 PM »

But how does he compare to Joe Davis?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »

He isnt in the same class but that doesnt make him a bad player or the worst champion ever either just because some players have in the past shown better form than him.

GURNFISH

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2006, 09:53:15 PM »

"So did last years winner in the same comp, Matthew Stevens has never won a ranking event."

Sorry to but in but Mathew Stevens has won a ranking event

2003 UK Championship - Came from 4-0 down v Hendry - cant remember exact score but may have been 10-8 - was at York
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2006, 09:55:30 PM »

I'm not sure, how does Hendry or Steve Davis compare to Joe Davis for that matter.

How can you compare players from different eras playing with different equipment (especially today's snooker balls) ?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2006, 09:58:24 PM »

"So did last years winner in the same comp, Matthew Stevens has never won a ranking event."

Sorry to but in but Mathew Stevens has won a ranking event

2003 UK Championship - Came from 4-0 down v Hendry - cant remember exact score but may have been 10-8 - was at York

Gurnfish, you are right I forgot he did win a ranking event after 'only' winning the masters which is a non ranking event previously.I think the score was 10-8 or 10-9.

Ok he has only won one ranking event, that doesnt mean he is a bad player either or that he cannot win the world champioship because he hasnt done it before. At the end of the day Dott played the best snooker for the duration of the comp, he thoroughly deserved to win.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2006, 10:03:50 PM »

On another note I had a chat with Smokin Steve at the wekend about the similarity between the pressure and mental skills that snooker and poker have in common. Could this be the reason that some of the top snooker players have had some good results in poker comps?

GURNFISH

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2006, 10:11:36 PM »

Bobby - I was only knit picking.

My opinion (for what its worth) on the Dott thing is that he is not in the same league as your Rockets, Hendrys, Higgins etc but that makes his achievement even greater.

For someone of his limited ability (unfair but true) to have won the biggest tournament there is means that he must have given maximum effort, commitment, shown good temperament etc. These qualities are vital in all sports.

I am amazed that he managed to win it but I do think the reaction to his participation in the final (and subsequent victory) has been appalling.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: