blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:45:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272683 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2741 2742 2743 2744 [2745] 2746 2747 2748 2749 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6356878 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41160 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »

888's mate?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/10/888-ma-william-hill-idUSL5N0VK3SC20150210

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #41161 on: February 10, 2015, 04:40:58 PM »

Erik123?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #41162 on: February 10, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »

He was a much bigger name then than Isildur was at his peak. For starters the king of ding was on top for about 3 years printing insane amounts, if you think those pots that Antonious, PKRBT, Erik etc were playing back then only got beaten in terms of potsize 10 years later by the Isildur games. The game were insanely big back then and Erik was the long standing king.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #41163 on: February 10, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »

I didn't recognise him via photo but by his screen name I did.

I don't think anyone anywhere has a bad word to say about Jonny Lodden either!

I've only taken an overnight train once, and I imagine if I asked my facebook friends I'd be in a very small minority. The train was from Bangkok to Nong Khai (effectively the border crossing to get into Laos) Can't remember that much, and I certainly wouldn't describe it as magical. I can sleep anywhere though and certainly have done so a few times in my life.

Anyway I only popped in to say 1% of your Vegas action please. Plinop is trying to convince me, but I think he just needs a driver.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41164 on: February 11, 2015, 12:17:05 AM »

10 x better than a regular UK hotel?  Suppose if you only ever stay in the Travelodge it might be true.
I don't think the food us that bad, the dim sum place is pretty solid for instance.  The curry place is no more than ok and isn't that cheap.  The buffet is ok, but nothing like the Wynn.   Starbucks is Starbucks.  I don't really mind the poker kitchen, definitely better than it was.   

There is a bit of a stale cigarette smell about the place from memory, but guess Tikay wouldn't notice.

Never really had much of an issue taxi from the Wynn, Venetian or City center, to the Rio.  Am never ever leaving 5 minutes before kick off though.  You don't travel enough if that journey is a ballache.   

Can definitely see the advantage with just been able to go to your room for dinner.  Break feels too long to hang around and too short to get back to the strip and eat.    Surely just got to go shot or bust first 4 levels tho?  Probably not so hard now they have messed with the structures. 

Maybe not "10", but certainly close to it, £ for £.

Having spent half my working life in UK B & B's &, latterly, Hotels, Vegas Hotels are better by a considerable magnitude. I'm talking "working mens" hotels of course, Travelodge, Premier Inn, Holiday Inn, Days Inn, that sort of thing.

In Vegas, we get shops, eateries, entertainment, shows, bars, Starbys, huge cardrooms, 24/7, all sorts, without even leaving the front door, don't see that in many Travelodges.

I know The Rio is not Vegas's swankiest or newest by any means, but when lads tell me it's "shite", it makes me a bit cross, they've not lived if they think that is not jolly good.

A night in The Rio - or most Vegas regular hotels - is no more expensive than a night in many Travelodges, either. There's no comparision, imo. 

It is currently £40 a night to book a travelog in the centre of a major UK city the nights I am planning on going to Vegas.

It is £60 a night to book the Rio at the cheapest rate on Trivago and that has a $25 resort fee on top.  Total price is roughly £75 a night.  If you pay that now for a travelodge or days inn outside London for June you need a new PA.

The Rio is about the equivalent of a 4 star hotel which is a bit rough around the edges.

I am sat at a desk in a 4 star hotel which isn't part of a major chain and is a bit rough around the edges.  It is costing me £80 a night.  It cost me the same last week, and will cost me the same next week.   It isn't as nice as the Raddison Blu down the road, but neither is the Rio.  The walk to work is much the same distance as it would be if I stayed at the Rio.  I can confidently say the walk in June is likely to be more pleasant.

I can walk to far more eating establishments and bars within half a mile of my door than I can at the Rio.  The quality of some is better than the Rio, the variety is better than the Rio.  I don't think the quality of my room is any lower than the Rio and it doesn't have a smell of stale cigarette smoke.  I can buy both costa, starbucks and visit a local cafe all within 10 minutes walk of here. 

It doesn't have the WSOP, but I don't feel like near death walking a mile round here in June, and my chance of getting mugged is probably a bit lower.

This hotel is 4.5/5 on trip advisor, the Rio is 3.5/5.  Don't just take my word for it.

But the WSOP and hasn't really got much to do with the quality of the hotel.  If I wanted more space I can now rent a serviced one bed apartment with a proper kitchen for about £90 a night for those days in June.  I am fairly sure it will be less tatty than the Rio. 

Maybe you can argue that one is better value than the other but there really isn't much in it.  Likewise if you end up paying £40 a night, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up somewhere worse than the Travelodge down the road.

I'd say there was quite a bit more difference between the likes of the Wynn, Palazzo and Mandarin Oriental and the Radisson Blu down the road.  I'd say that at that better end is where the real value is. 

All this 10x the value is as bad as those who say the Rio is shite.  I am not saying the Rio is terrible, if I was in Vegas for the duration, I'd probably spend some time there.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41165 on: February 11, 2015, 12:35:54 AM »

Tikay have you ever done this one?

or this one?

Click to see full-size image.

Got a trip booked in a couple of months

Sorry David, I somehow missed this.

You lucky man, I've not done either.

The first one is Bergen, Norway? What a lovely place that is, & I could write a whole chapter of a book about my experiences there, both with Poker 425, & an illegal poker Tournament that was interrupted by the King (or was it Queen) of Norway.

That trip was the first time I ever met, or even heard of, a young man named Johnny Lodden. Think it was around 2004.

He just blew everyone away in the Tourney, never seen anything like it (at the time). We just played Aces & Kings, paint pairs & the like in those days, but Lodden was all 3-4, & 7-5 type stuff. We all thought he was bonkers.

I'm pleased to say we remain good mates to this very day, he has never forgotten me, is always very kind, & even offered to buy some of my action one year in Vegas. Knew he was bonkers.    

I like him immensely, maybe in my Top 10 (poker) people of all time, I like everything about him. I'm sure someone will spoil my mental image of him, & tell me is is a scammer or whatever, but he seems spot on to me, a man who wins & loses in equally good heart.

Anyway, do enjoy your trips - are you taking the children?

You are right, one of them is the Oslo/Bergen line which is described here

http://www.raileurope.com/blog/11474-oslo-to-bergen-by-train

We are travelling to Myrdal and going up the Flam railway on one day, and continuing our journey the next.  We are also popping up to Tromso above the Arctic circle for one night.

No kids this time, for the first time on a holiday since the first one was born over 7 years ago.  Sure it will be a bit strange.

I wish I could spend more time, as we haven't got time to do this, which just looks fantastic

It is called the Atlantic Road and is built across several Islands.  I have read that some people deliberately go down that road when their is a storm, which is something I have zero chance of persuading my wife is a good idea.

I also love the idea of getting the boat all along the coast of Norway from the bottom to the top, just didn't get the time.

I could probably just sit on the deck and watch all day.

Maybe we'll take the kids next time.  Certainly more chance of getting them over that bridge.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #41166 on: February 11, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »

Oddly, in the same Tourney in Norway, I first met this man, too. Now he WAS a big star then, just about the biggest name in poker at the time.

I bet many of the new school lads don't even know who he is.

Not sure what he does these days. I heard he lived in Vegas, hustled on the golf course, & does a lot of sports betting. What a life. Last time I saw him he had the most gorgeous young lady in tow.

The boy did well. 

Had to double check that was who I thought it was. Fond of an additional pie or two these days it seems.

I can't find a recent photo of him, so will have to take your word for that.

Here's another huge name from that era, he had the poker world at his feet back in the day, had all the best sponsorship deals, the looks, the game, AND he got to chat with the delish Isabelle.

How was the Rugby, the result apart, did you enjoy it? I heard Prince Albert of Monaco was there. A fan of cute little Principalities, presumably.

Bengt Sonnert was a legend back in the day.  I went to Monte Carlo with him, Ben Grundy and Betfair back when I thought World domination was still a possibility.  One of his friends was at my table for much of day 2.  He was all 3 street bluffs with nothing and shown then he got called with the nuts.  I recognised him from the Betfair cash tables at the time, but can't remember his name now.  Bengt was above talking to the qualifiers back then, but it was a different era.

I think Bengt just kind of retired and lived off his money, I don't think he wanted the fame. 

I guess Ben Grundy still plays. but haven't seen him around for a long time.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #41167 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:59 AM »

Obviously Jedi Tikay is a popular chap and no doubt all of his potential action has been taken but if u have a spare 1% I'll take it. If not no worries and good luck when u go. Hopefully I'll be going for the first time later in the year, health and wealth all being ok.

Of course, delighted Mr Omm.

There'll be plenty spare, no danger there.

How is your health these days, if I may ask, I know you've had quite a torrid time? Just don't reply if it's awkward, or the question is overly intrusive.

Will be updating the list very shortly, you'll be on it.

Hi Tikay,

I don't mind talking about, if only to help raise awareness of what a terrible illness Pancretitus is. I'm still having quite a tough time, take large amounts of Tramodol and Morphine  on a daily basis just so I can carry on with everyday life and this is 2 years after my first (and main) attack. The ilness is such that it affects different people in different ways and although I haven't had an "attack" in about 3 months my daily life is very much a grind as I feel about 90 not 36. The great news is that my wife is an absolute superstar and has stuck by me even when I have been the biggest ass in the world , she has been my nurse, my councillor and my rock, I owe her my life as without her I may not have got through this. Sorry to get so deep and depressing but this is how it is.

My Pancretitus was caused by Gallstones caught in the pancreatic duct, however the biggest cause of this illness in the country/world is alcohol, as such I can never drink alcohol again (unless I want the same to happen). I just think there should be more awareness of the dangers of alcohol if drunk to excess over a long period of time. Doctors reckon that Pancretitus is the worse pain the human body can go through and can take years to recover from properly. It certainly is a life changer, at least I'm alive to see my kids grow up and hopefully get well enough to live a normal life in the future. I've been through the worse period of my life (hopefully) which has even affected my parents (as I bought our family home years ago and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage they ended up losing their home, which u can imagine was an absolute nightmare for them and a great burden for me). Bet your glad u asked now?  Grin as I'm able to function better of a night than in the morning I can still play poker and if anything I focus more at the tables than ever before and am actually quite profitable now more than ever, silver linings and all that.

You have my sympathy, I've had 3 attacks (alcohol caused sadly) and am supposed to be teetotal now, but I slip occasionally. Seems like you got hit far worse than I did, but hope you recover better in the future.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #41168 on: February 11, 2015, 06:56:12 AM »

Obviously Jedi Tikay is a popular chap and no doubt all of his potential action has been taken but if u have a spare 1% I'll take it. If not no worries and good luck when u go. Hopefully I'll be going for the first time later in the year, health and wealth all being ok.

How is your health these days, if I may ask, I know you've had quite a torrid time? Just don't reply if it's awkward, or the question is overly intrusive.

Hi Tikay,

I don't mind talking about, if only to help raise awareness of what a terrible illness Pancretitus is. I'm still having quite a tough time, take large amounts of Tramodol and Morphine  on a daily basis just so I can carry on with everyday life and this is 2 years after my first (and main) attack. The ilness is such that it affects different people in different ways and although I haven't had an "attack" in about 3 months my daily life is very much a grind as I feel about 90 not 36. The great news is that my wife is an absolute superstar and has stuck by me even when I have been the biggest ass in the world , she has been my nurse, my councillor and my rock, I owe her my life as without her I may not have got through this. Sorry to get so deep and depressing but this is how it is.

My Pancretitus was caused by Gallstones caught in the pancreatic duct, however the biggest cause of this illness in the country/world is alcohol, as such I can never drink alcohol again (unless I want the same to happen). I just think there should be more awareness of the dangers of alcohol if drunk to excess over a long period of time. Doctors reckon that Pancretitus is the worse pain the human body can go through and can take years to recover from properly. It certainly is a life changer, at least I'm alive to see my kids grow up and hopefully get well enough to live a normal life in the future. I've been through the worse period of my life (hopefully) which has even affected my parents (as I bought our family home years ago and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage they ended up losing their home, which u can imagine was an absolute nightmare for them and a great burden for me). Bet your glad u asked now?  Grin as I'm able to function better of a night than in the morning I can still play poker and if anything I focus more at the tables than ever before and am actually quite profitable now more than ever, silver linings and all that.

You have my sympathy, I've had 3 attacks (alcohol caused sadly) and am supposed to be teetotal now, but I slip occasionally. Seems like you got hit far worse than I did, but hope you recover better in the future.

Thanks Rod, I've only really spoke to people who have Pancretitus at hospital, they the same as you have been affected by alcohol, I hope you don't mind me asking but have you always had an attack (since your first one) after drinking again?

Not that I have the desire to drink myself as I would much rather never experience the pain again as well as this I am now diabetic as my pancreas is mostly not working properly, however it does interest me when I have met people in hospital who have "had a choice" (and I do put that loosely as I know many people do not have a choice when it comes to alcohol).
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #41169 on: February 11, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »

Hi Tikay,

I don't mind talking about, if only to help raise awareness of what a terrible illness Pancretitus is. I'm still having quite a tough time, take large amounts of Tramodol and Morphine  on a daily basis just so I can carry on with everyday life and this is 2 years after my first (and main) attack. The ilness is such that it affects different people in different ways and although I haven't had an "attack" in about 3 months my daily life is very much a grind as I feel about 90 not 36. The great news is that my wife is an absolute superstar and has stuck by me even when I have been the biggest ass in the world , she has been my nurse, my councillor and my rock, I owe her my life as without her I may not have got through this. Sorry to get so deep and depressing but this is how it is.

My Pancretitus was caused by Gallstones caught in the pancreatic duct, however the biggest cause of this illness in the country/world is alcohol, as such I can never drink alcohol again (unless I want the same to happen). I just think there should be more awareness of the dangers of alcohol if drunk to excess over a long period of time. Doctors reckon that Pancretitus is the worse pain the human body can go through and can take years to recover from properly. It certainly is a life changer, at least I'm alive to see my kids grow up and hopefully get well enough to live a normal life in the future. I've been through the worse period of my life (hopefully) which has even affected my parents (as I bought our family home years ago and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage they ended up losing their home, which u can imagine was an absolute nightmare for them and a great burden for me). Bet your glad u asked now?  Grin as I'm able to function better of a night than in the morning I can still play poker and if anything I focus more at the tables than ever before and am actually quite profitable now more than ever, silver linings and all that.

Thanks Rod, I've only really spoke to people who have Pancretitus at hospital, they the same as you have been affected by alcohol, I hope you don't mind me asking but have you always had an attack (since your first one) after drinking again?

Not that I have the desire to drink myself as I would much rather never experience the pain again as well as this I am now diabetic as my pancreas is mostly not working properly, however it does interest me when I have met people in hospital who have "had a choice" (and I do put that loosely as I know many people do not have a choice when it comes to alcohol).

I have not had a drink since my first attack when I was 19 (11 years ago)

Compared to the pain it is not an option for me I had meningitis when I was 17 and the first attack to the pancreas was at least as painful as that if not worse. Had four further attacks since but all have got less painful and have not had one for approx 6 years.

A close friend was leaving work about 8 years ago and we had some bubbly in the morning. I had one sip of my glass to be sociable. The next morning I was spewing green bile and could barely move,it was not a full blown attack but was enough to tell me not to even have a sip ever again..

As an aside the specialists still think it was probably caused by a weakening of my organs through meningitis than alcohol but can never tell for sure.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:46:30 AM by horseplayer » Logged
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #41170 on: February 11, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »

Hi Tikay,

I don't mind talking about, if only to help raise awareness of what a terrible illness Pancretitus is. I'm still having quite a tough time, take large amounts of Tramodol and Morphine  on a daily basis just so I can carry on with everyday life and this is 2 years after my first (and main) attack. The ilness is such that it affects different people in different ways and although I haven't had an "attack" in about 3 months my daily life is very much a grind as I feel about 90 not 36. The great news is that my wife is an absolute superstar and has stuck by me even when I have been the biggest ass in the world , she has been my nurse, my councillor and my rock, I owe her my life as without her I may not have got through this. Sorry to get so deep and depressing but this is how it is.

My Pancretitus was caused by Gallstones caught in the pancreatic duct, however the biggest cause of this illness in the country/world is alcohol, as such I can never drink alcohol again (unless I want the same to happen). I just think there should be more awareness of the dangers of alcohol if drunk to excess over a long period of time. Doctors reckon that Pancretitus is the worse pain the human body can go through and can take years to recover from properly. It certainly is a life changer, at least I'm alive to see my kids grow up and hopefully get well enough to live a normal life in the future. I've been through the worse period of my life (hopefully) which has even affected my parents (as I bought our family home years ago and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage they ended up losing their home, which u can imagine was an absolute nightmare for them and a great burden for me). Bet your glad u asked now?  Grin as I'm able to function better of a night than in the morning I can still play poker and if anything I focus more at the tables than ever before and am actually quite profitable now more than ever, silver linings and all that.

I have not had a drink since my first attack when I was 19 (11 years ago)

Compared to the pain it is not an option for me I had meningitis when I was 17 and the first attack to the pancreas was at least as painful as that if not worse. Had four further attacks since but all have got less painful and have not had one for approx 6 years.

A close friend was leaving work about 8 years ago and we had some bubbly in the morning. I had one sip of my glass to be sociable. The next morning I was spewing green bile and could barely move,it was not a full blown attack but was enough to tell me not to even have a sip ever again..

As an aside the specialists still think it was probably caused by a weakening of my organs through meningitis than alcohol but can never tell for sure.

Seems to be more common than I thought John, before I had an attack I had neither known about the disease or knew people that had been through it. I suppose by the point of actually knowing about it you become more aware and "look out" for examples. Neil Channing also mention once that he has suffered in the past with it. In there somewhere is a blonde members club!
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #41171 on: February 11, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »

Hi Tikay,

I've met one (a nurse) who'd had it through gallstones like yourself - she said she'd rather give birth with no pain killers.

All 3 of my attacks have been after a serious binge. I then gave up for a couple of years, but since breaking up with the fiancée, have let it slide a bit more. I really don't batter it like I used to though & take long breaks at any sign of the system rumbling.

I know 1 guy (a teacher) who has had over 20 attacks.  He flat refuses to change & almost treats an attack as a diet plan (treatment is pain relief in the form of morphine/tramadol, a saline drip & nil by mouth for a few days). He now can get attacks from spicy foods etc. I can't comprehend being that cavalier about it.

I have a reminder on my drinking arm:

It reads Torture one way, Alcohol the other.

So I now have to wear long sleeves if I want a drink.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:00:42 AM by Rod Paradise » Logged

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41172 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »

Hi Tikay,

I've met one (a nurse) who'd had it through gallstones like yourself - she said she'd rather give birth with no pain killers.

All 3 of my attacks have been after a serious binge. I then gave up for a couple of years, but since breaking up with the fiancée, have let it slide a bit more. I really don't batter it like I used to though & take long breaks at any sign of the system rumbling.

I know 1 guy (a teacher) who has had over 20 attacks.  He flat refuses to change & almost treats an attack as a diet plan (treatment is pain relief in the form of morphine/tramadol, a saline drip & nil by mouth for a few days). He now can get attacks from spicy foods etc. I can't comprehend being that cavalier about it.

Or drink with your left hand(unless you have it there as well). Nice ambigram tat BTW.

Cymru am byth
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #41173 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »

Hi Tikay,

Or drink with your left hand(unless you have it there as well). Nice ambigram tat BTW.

Cheers! Left arm is a similar tattoo but a different ambigram:

The Celts one way & St Pauli (a team from Germany I've been going to see for over 15 years now) the other.

The ambigrams are easy to come up with - Wow Tattoo have an ambigram generator on their website & a proper template is $19 when you've decided on one you like. THe skulls and scrolls are what took the time & cost as the tattooist had to play with positioning to make them work both ways up.

And I don't drink with my left arm, just doesn't feel right so to speak.

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #41174 on: February 11, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

Great Tattoo Rod, thanks for sharing your experiences. Tikay will wonder what's been going on when he comes back and find his diary has been taken over by us.
Pages: 1 ... 2741 2742 2743 2744 [2745] 2746 2747 2748 2749 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: