blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hotel Rwanda
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hotel Rwanda  (Read 2390 times)
MadYank
Rezident Farang (Yank Flavour)

Sawat Di Khrap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 01:59:39 AM »

OK seious response now.

Flushy, I find it interesting that you state "western governments sit by and let it happen."

I agree that more decisive action should be taken, alas, world opinion and The UN are often hypocritical. The last time The US launched a major military initiative in Africa, (Somalia) they recieved minimal support and actual interference from The UN. Additionaly, the weighty world public opinion never really cared.

Why is it that this "world opinion" can only be mustered in strength to oppose a marginal war but can't be mustered to support a "just war." Clearly there are cases for Just Military action that even the most ardent pacifist would concede is necesary.

Anywayz, theres my 2cents.

PS Notice kids...no flames, no anger?  Shocked

NEVES

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 02:26:57 AM »

Unfortunately these type of atrocities are too common an occurence, especially in some of the poorest areas of the world.

it is only with the making of such great films, Hotel Rwanda, shooting dogs, The killing fields etc. does Joe public get any idea of the real butchery and savagery that happens between fellow humans.

I, unfortunately have seen this first hand, having formerly been an Infantryman. What has changed in the recent years is the media coverage of some of these conflicts, the last Iraq war (though technically a few of us would say the war is still ongoing) is a good example.

Joe public sat in their sitting rooms as the real horror of these campaigns was beamed live to their TV sets. This, IMHO, helped create the huge anit-war response within UK and USA simply because everyday Joe could see and be appalled by the destruction they were witnessing.

Prior to this you would only have the voices of the groups who had been campaigning against wars, nuclear weapons etc and Joe went about his business as usual with the usual daily news update (and that with only the info the governments wanted to release.)

It is only through the hard work of war correspondents and TV stations that the true reality of war has been brought to so many now, and long may it continue. the more that these images can be shown throughout the world, the more people will voice their opinions against wars and the more the governments will have to listen.

I believe we were just short of forcing Mr Blair from going to war in Iraq this time, however, going forward and with the increased ability for the media to be "on the spot" It will be harder for future PM's to cede to the powers of the USA and say,"No, my people think it's wrong, I think it's wrong and therefore I will not join you this time."

I know that there are other considerations that the PM has such as trade andkeeping he US on our side, however I do believe that the greater the media coverage, the more the public will speak out and force government's to re-think their strategies.

One thing I would always ask though, is that we support our troops whenever they are given these tasks. They are only following orders (and this does not condone those servicemen/women who stray outside the rules of conflict.) A lot of these guys and gals are as opposed to some of the things we get involved in and on occasion refuse to serve, at great cost to themselves and their families.

Recognise that a poker forum may not be the best place to post these views, however the more pressure we put on our "leaders" the better.

Geo.

“If language is not correct, then what is said is not what is meant;
if what is said is not what is meant, then what ought to be done remains undone.”
                                                                                                                                                                           Confucius

Rules are for the obedience of fools and
guidance of wise men.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 07:30:13 AM »

I just watched blood diamonds Leo Di Caprio's new flick, an altogether different African problem, and although more of a story than an insight into the problems surrounding conflict diamonds it is another pull at the strings of the heart!

I suggest you watch it if you get the chance.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
jbsc7769

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »

I watched this for the first time about four months ago actually and felt the same, sick. I actually felt compelled to go out there to visit for some reason and did a little research on the internet about how easy it is.

They seem to be heading in the right direction now and it looks an incredibly beautiful country. It is so easy to get caught up in this although we need to be careful otherwise we could turn in to manic depressives. Not only humanity but also the animals that we are killing all around the world, the whales, Dolphins etc. On the way back from Aussie Millions I watched 'An Inconvenient Truth' on the plane, the Al Gore movie about global warming. Again, on a different level, it wast horrifying. We seem intent on killing the world...cheerful post huh...

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: