blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2915 2916 2917 2918 [2919] 2920 2921 2922 2923 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6297112 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43770 on: November 28, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »

Meanwhile, the Gill jog jog jogging excitement continues, & she has decided to do the Bushy Park 5k ParkRun next Saturday.

Much excitement.

Bushy parkrun is massive, easily the biggest in this country. Assuming the weather is reasonable there will be about a 1000 runners there.

For comparison I was at beckton parkrun in east London yesterday and there were 24 people there including a certain mr gatso. Admittedly the weather was rotten yesterday and this really affects numbers.

Update to follow, with my own photos & everything, if I can get past Monday to Friday first, but I can tell you today's renewal attracted 937 runners. 

It was so lovely, in every way. Free to enter, run by volunteers, & such a lovely atmosphere. Anyway, let me (try to) do the week in sequence.

I have an hour to spare, as right now, Thanksgiving Dinner is being prepared downstairs, & I'm banned from the kitchen. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43771 on: November 28, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »

i found this interesting

you might too as someone who reads a lot of books on such events, i think

A history of some of the biggest heists, robberies and burglaries in pictures http://goo.gl/zmBx7Z 

Good stuff, though The Great Train Robbery will always be The Daddy.

Thanks Rich.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43772 on: November 28, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »

Ryanair looking at doing flights to Israel? Sweet. Think easyjet currently do the cheapest returns (about £100), so I'm sure Ryanair will look to significantly undercut them.

A country I'm quite eager to visit, for reasons I'm unsure about.

I think I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick - those Ryanair Flights to Israel are from Budapest, Krakow & Kaunus, none of which, as far as I recall, are in the UK.

Here's the gumf.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/150707-ryanair-announces-first-israel-flights/?market=en

Tikay giveth, Tikay taketh away.

By Israel, do they mean Jordan?

Flying with Flybe for the first time on Saturday, think it's one of them propeller plane things. Trip report to follow, assuming it has the engine capacity to get off the runway. Back to the comforts of Ryanair coming home on Sunday. I fly in style.

In Ryanair parlance, the flights to Israel go from "London Budapest".

Those "propeller type things" with their pram wheels are a little scary but they are extremely safe, & Flybe have about 80 of them.

The Bombadier Dash, in various models, has been around for 30 years now, & there are over 1,000 in service. As far as I can tell, there has yet to be a fatal accident due to any malfunction of the aircraft. Been a few "pilot error" mishaps, mind.

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43773 on: November 28, 2015, 05:53:43 PM »

Monday

The EGR Gaming Awards took place in London, (these are not voted by the public, they are "Industry Awards", though I've no idea how they are decided) ) with SB&G nominated for about 11 gongs from 25 categories, & they managed to bring home 5 of the 11, though the coveted "Operator of the Year" went to Coral, which may surprise the Freddies.

Even more of a surprise to me, & maybe many others, was that Sky Poker won "Poker Mobile Product of the Year" for their App.

Surprise?

Well the nominees were.....

PokerStars

Full Tilt

mFortune (who?)

Sky Poker

So the phone was red hot all evening, as I was getting Updaters from the team at the Award Ceremony.

Not quite sure why it pleased me so much, but it did. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43774 on: November 28, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »

Tuesday

Did the Show with a bloke from Eastenders & SCD, Jake Wood.

I was not feeling tip top, & it was a struggle to even get to work, but I don't do sickies, & in the end it was worthy it, he was tremendous fun.

I really enjoy meting these "celebs", even though they are hardly A-List, or Marlon Brando. Course, they are just regular guys with a job in TV, which seems so disproportionately powerful, but it's fun, nonetheless to meet a few of them.

He learned his craft at some Stage School in Islington, & seemed to me to be well grounded. A most enjoyable evening.

My previous Show was with Max Rushden. Again, hardly A-List, but a fun guy, & a delight to meet & work with.

My little job certainly does not lack ups & downs, or variety. I don't particularly enjoy the stick I get from the lads on occasion, but the upside is the variety & a certain sense of satisfaction.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43775 on: November 28, 2015, 06:38:07 PM »

Wednesday

Just one of those rare days when everything goes right, or almost everything.

My routine is to get up at around 05.30, I can't wait to get started, so no point laying in bed.

I do a daily "Job List" in an A4 notebook, all longhand, no technology here, & it generally consists of 10 or 15 items.

Wednesday had 37, & I ticked 35 of them, which is way above my usual run rate.  I received 48 e-Mails (though most were "read only) & sent 19.

Mid afternoon, I have to take a nap for an hour - I just don't have the stamina I used to - then I clear up any noise Next Door, & urgent e-Mails, then spend the evening playing poker. I can't wait to start my little poker session. I try to play 30 SNG's per session. I could play all night, but with a 0530 start, that candle burning at both ends is a bit silly.

I generally play every (spare) night, but only 2 sessions so far this week, & I've lost £30 in each session. Don't think I can recall losing £30 in back to back nights for many a year. I've run unbelievably well for 6 weeks now though, so it's just variance settling up the overdraft.  I hope.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43776 on: November 28, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »

Thursday

Was a bit under the weather again, nothing serious, just flabby flobbyness. Been eating bad, & that leads to severe indigestion, which in turn means I sleep poorly. All self-inflicted. I've become addicted to these, too. About 900 calories in each I guess. Course, I have to eat two of the buggers at a time, I can't be sensible, like a proper person.   

Ambo, aka Mr Channing finished 2nd in the £300 6 Max at The Vic, so I dropped him a little "well done" note. It's good to give a bit of praise here & there, people love it, & I started a "well done" thread about it Next Door. He did a bit of business heads up with Mark Banin of all people, so I used the "would YOU chop?" line. It's amazing how many say "chop, what me? NEVER". Most have never made a meaningful Final Table, of course.  It's utterly ridiculous to say "never", as circumstances, equity, all sorts can vary so much.

Whilst toing & froing with Mr Channing, he made me aware that that evening there was a £250 4/5/6 PLO @ The Vic, as part of the GUKPT Grand Final fessie. I adore those sort of PLO comps, & I'm nicely ahead in them lifetime. I barely get chance to play Liver poker these days, so what could be better, jump on a tube & go meet the fellas.

Except.......around twice a year, MAX, Gill comes down on a Thursday instead of a Friday. This was one of those Thursdays. Marv. I'd not swap, of course I would not, but it was a bit of a shame. Still, saved myself £250 I guess.

A bad bit of timing went off, too, as some urgent jobs cropped up Next Door, so I spent much of the evening "tip tapping" as Gill calls it. She does not mind, luckily.

I made a little tea for us - Egg Mayo & Prawn Mayo sarnies (home made, obv), with egg custard tarts & an Iced Lemon slice for afters. Yum yum. 

Then we had to finalise planning for Friday, as we had a little "adventure" planned. Not exactly a Posh Alex adventure, trooping round South America, but Brighton, in November, on the train. It's how I roll. I'd reserved train tickets & everything.

Told the Office I'd not be around most of the day on Friday, too. I'm very fortunate to come & go work-wise pretty much as I please, which balances out the fact that quite often I have to sort stuff mid-evening or at weekends. No idea what hours I'm contracted to do, & I don't bother, if something needs doing 24/7, I'm happy to do it. It's a lovely little job.   

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43777 on: November 28, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »

Friday

We adore train journeys, so were really looking forward to it. It's 45 minutes by car, & a tenner for Diesel, or 2.5 hours by train, & £80. Go figure.

We organised the train journey to maximise the number of different trains we could get on, 6 in total. We had not been to Victoria Station together before, so that box needed ticking. Main Line termini are so exciting if you know what to look for. Can't say I am mad keen on Victoria Station, but it has it's charms, especially that high roof which gives a certain resonance & echo to everything.

Destination Boards tell such lovely stories.....

People scurry hither & thither, all engrossed in their own lives & dramas. Every one is special, if we did but know it.

We got to Brighton later morning, & I was about to hail a cab to take us to the front, but Gill insisted on walking. WALKING. Eh? Must be 4 miles, ugh.

So we walked. Luckily it was downhill all the way.

And then I got quite a shock. And if you have not visited Brighton recently, brace yourself......

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43778 on: November 28, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »

And then I got quite a shock. And if you have not visited Brighton recently, brace yourself......

Flushy naked on the beach ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43779 on: November 28, 2015, 08:02:37 PM »

Flushy naked on the beach ?

No, even more outrageous than that.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43780 on: November 28, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »

On Brighton Beach, right by the ruins of West Pier, they have built this giant sticky-up concrete thing.

It's 700 feet tall - that's the height on an 80 storey building.

Cost? £42 million, of which the local council loaned £36 million. Same designers as The London Eye.

How did the Council wave this through? Try erecting an extension to your house & & it's all "we have to preserve the local character".

It goes by the official & trendy name of i360, but the locals have dubbed it iSore. It even has a naming rights sponsor now - The British Airways i360.

I suppose if it brings in tourism, & jobs, all good. Not my cup of tea though.

This is how it looks right now, before they affix the glass "doughnut" observation tower, which goes up & down on cables.

Here's the gumf;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I360

http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/

Nice bit of concrete, mind.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43781 on: November 28, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »

Anyway, we went for a walk up the Pier - admission free, so that's pretty good - in late November, which makes no sense at all. Still, last year we went along Southend Pier in December, so I guess we are learning.

Had gorgeous fish & chips, with a mug of tea, & buppy, on the Pier in "Palm Court" restaurant cum eatery. How much? £36. For two. Yikes. Nice though. 

Saw this giant gull - big as a chicken.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #43782 on: November 28, 2015, 11:36:56 PM »

I went on one of those things to Amsterdam a few months back and it was without doubt the loudest airplane I've ever been on.

In contrast a recent flight on the Dreamliner was close to silent. Absolutely incredible airplane. Have you had the pleasure yet? I know you're in to these things.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #43783 on: November 28, 2015, 11:41:13 PM »

Ryanair looking at doing flights to Israel? Sweet. Think easyjet currently do the cheapest returns (about £100), so I'm sure Ryanair will look to significantly undercut them.

A country I'm quite eager to visit, for reasons I'm unsure about.

I think I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick - those Ryanair Flights to Israel are from Budapest, Krakow & Kaunus, none of which, as far as I recall, are in the UK.

Here's the gumf.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/150707-ryanair-announces-first-israel-flights/?market=en

Tikay giveth, Tikay taketh away.

By Israel, do they mean Jordan?

Flying with Flybe for the first time on Saturday, think it's one of them propeller plane things. Trip report to follow, assuming it has the engine capacity to get off the runway. Back to the comforts of Ryanair coming home on Sunday. I fly in style.

I'd highly recommend ear plugs. It really is that loud.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #43784 on: November 29, 2015, 12:19:13 AM »

On Brighton Beach, right by the ruins of West Pier, they have built this giant sticky-up concrete thing.

It's 700 feet tall - that's the height on an 80 storey building.

Cost? £42 million, of which the local council loaned £36 million. Same designers as The London Eye.

How did the Council wave this through? Try erecting an extension to your house & & it's all "we have to preserve the local character".

It goes by the official & trendy name of i360, but the locals have dubbed it iSore. It even has a naming rights sponsor now - The British Airways i360.

I suppose if it brings in tourism, & jobs, all good. Not my cup of tea though.

This is how it looks right now, before they affix the glass "doughnut" observation tower, which goes up & down on cables.

Here's the gumf;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I360

http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/

Nice bit of concrete, mind.

Caused a fair bit of controversy too as the Council have refused to renew the licence of the observation wheel located just to the east of the pier.
Pages: 1 ... 2915 2916 2917 2918 [2919] 2920 2921 2922 2923 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: