blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 547 548 [549] 550 551 552 553 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6332267 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8220 on: August 18, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »

What's that gotta do with old people"?

On the subject of flying mishaps, the 'plane crash near Coventry Airport yesterday was terrible.

A Cessna, used for Aerial Surveys, just coming into land, collided with a microlight, & 5 people were killed. All that space up there, & they collide mid-air - how unlucky is that?

I'm curious - do microlight "planes" need to file Flight Plans, & comply with CAA regs & stuff? If not, Commercial Pilots must love those micro boys. Not.

Yeah microlights have to adhere to the rules as well, they don't have to file a flight plan though, neither does the Cessna.

Flight plans are needed for intl flights and class A airspace flights

Wow - a Cessna light aircraft does not have to file a flight plan? I'm surprised by that - so one could fly into, say, Heathrow or Gatwick, without a flight plan? Surely not?

The Cessna was professionally operated, by Reconnaissance Ventures Ltd, who do work for Ordnance Survey, RAF, etc. No news on the background of the Microlight pilot, though.

Heathrow and Gatwick are both Class A so you need a flight plan, i think all the Major UK airports are, they also carry sick landing fee's.

It's not the same in the states though, they are much better they only have class A @ FL180+ so all the airports are Bravo at best, this means you can fly up to any one and ask to land, obviously places like JFK are going to knock you back as they are too busy but i have just turned up at miami international before and got in no probs.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: August 18, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »

It's an oddity that three of the world's greatest Newspapers are USA Based - The Washington Post, the Herald & Tribune, & the New York Times. The Washington Post is easily the best, & it's history, & ownership, is worth a book in itself. Needless to say, Warren Buffett has a major but entirely management supportive & passive shareholding. It was, of course, the Washington Post which exposed Nixon over Watergate.

Anyways, yesterday someone on here alluded to the American version of the Olympics Medal Table, & so below, I've cut & pasted the Washington Post's latest table. I wonder if they'd "revert" if they overtook China in Golds, but lagged behind in "all medals"?......

USA 22 24 26 72
CHN 39 14 14 67
RUS 8 13 15 36
AUS 11 10 12 33
FRA 4 11 13 28
GBR 12 7 8 27
GER 9 7 7 23
KOR 8 9 6 23
JPN 8 5 7 20
ITA 6 6 6 18

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8222 on: August 18, 2008, 04:22:28 PM »

i have just turned up at miami international before and got in no probs.

Spring Break week?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: August 18, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »

It's an oddity that three of the world's greatest Newspapers are USA Based - The Washington Post, the Herald & Tribune, & the New York Times. The Washington Post is easily the best, & it's history, & ownership, is worth a book in itself. Needless to say, Warren Buffett has a major but entirely management supportive & passive shareholding. It was, of course, the Washington Post which exposed Nixon over Watergate.

Anyways, yesterday someone on here alluded to the American version of the Olympics Medal Table, & so below, I've cut & pasted the Washington Post's latest table. I wonder if they'd "revert" if they overtook China in Golds, but lagged behind in "all medals"?......

USA 22 24 26 72
CHN 39 14 14 67
RUS 8 13 15 36
AUS 11 10 12 33
FRA 4 11 13 28
GBR 12 7 8 27
GER 9 7 7 23
KOR 8 9 6 23
JPN 8 5 7 20
ITA 6 6 6 18

These sort of things make me lol.

It's no different with English newspapers though.

My old favourite was Lennox Lewis the "Great British World Boxing Champion" who soon became Lennox Lewis the "Canadian former World Boxing Champion"

They are so funny.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: August 18, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »

What's that gotta do with old people"?

On the subject of flying mishaps, the 'plane crash near Coventry Airport yesterday was terrible.

A Cessna, used for Aerial Surveys, just coming into land, collided with a microlight, & 5 people were killed. All that space up there, & they collide mid-air - how unlucky is that?

I'm curious - do microlight "planes" need to file Flight Plans, & comply with CAA regs & stuff? If not, Commercial Pilots must love those micro boys. Not.

Yeah microlights have to adhere to the rules as well, they don't have to file a flight plan though, neither does the Cessna.

Flight plans are needed for intl flights and class A airspace flights

Wow - a Cessna light aircraft does not have to file a flight plan? I'm surprised by that - so one could fly into, say, Heathrow or Gatwick, without a flight plan? Surely not?

The Cessna was professionally operated, by Reconnaissance Ventures Ltd, who do work for Ordnance Survey, RAF, etc. No news on the background of the Microlight pilot, though.

Heathrow and Gatwick are both Class A so you need a flight plan, i think all the Major UK airports are, they also carry sick landing fee's.

It's not the same in the states though, they are much better they only have class A @ FL180+ so all the airports are Bravo at best, this means you can fly up to any one and ask to land, obviously places like JFK are going to knock you back as they are too busy but i have just turned up at miami international before and got in no probs.

FL180+?

Bravo?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: August 18, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »

Flushy, are microlights under the control of and monitored by ATC?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8226 on: August 18, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »

USA 22 24 26 72
CHN 39 14 14 67
RUS 8 13 15 36
AUS 11 10 12 33
FRA 4 11 13 28
GBR 12 7 8 27
GER 9 7 7 23
KOR 8 9 6 23
JPN 8 5 7 20
ITA 6 6 6 18

Dont worry about the medal chart Tikay thats just where it starts.

I watched the 1500m yesterday inwhich the American was world champion and didnt even qualify for the final. I cant tell you who did qualify because it wasnt shown all i know is that he didnt.

Also we have only seen the sports that the Americans have done well in. Of course Phelps is a superstar. So you understand the attention that he gets but there have been so many sports over here that have not been shown in the slightest.

All the attention since the swimming has been on Track and Field and the womens Gymnastics.

I must however defend them regarding sportsmanship. From what i have seen they have been amazing sports. They follow there athletes with such spirit and national pride. We were in a bar when Phelps swam his final relay. The Americans were all clapping and cheering the whole way through and the place had an electric atmosphere.

I wish the British public could get behind their sportsman win, lose or draw. Not the build them up to knock them down attitude they have right now.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: August 18, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »

What about hot air balloons?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: August 18, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »

I thought this lass was adorable. Star of the Gymnastics for me.

Surely the British chap too, tikay, who won our first medal since the dinosaurs. He bronzed it up in that event Chip Reese won a couple of years back.

No - just because he's a Brit does not change anything. But yes, a fine performance by him, I agree.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: August 18, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »

What about hot air balloons?

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: August 18, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »

Dont worry about the medal chart Tikay thats just where it starts.

I watched the 1500m yesterday inwhich the American was world champion and didnt even qualify for the final. I cant tell you who did qualify because it wasnt shown all i know is that he didnt.

Also we have only seen the sports that the Americans have done well in. Of course Phelps is a superstar. So you understand the attention that he gets but there have been so many sports over here that have not been shown in the slightest.

All the attention since the swimming has been on Track and Field and the womens Gymnastics.

I must however defend them regarding sportsmanship. From what i have seen they have been amazing sports. They follow there athletes with such spirit and national pride. We were in a bar when Phelps swam his final relay. The Americans were all clapping and cheering the whole way through and the place had an electric atmosphere.

I wish the British public could get behind their sportsman win, lose or draw. Not the build them up to knock them down attitude they have right now.

I found it astounding that NBC missed the 100m mens final for the basketball - and I've a funny feeling if Gay had qualified for it it would have been on.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: August 18, 2008, 05:11:04 PM »

The Olympics are full of "dreams come true" fairy-tales.

Rebecca, our Cyclists, rowers, Bolt, the guy from Toga who Medalled, da de da, it's just lovely to see these extraordinary tales unfolding.

A young British lady called Rebecca Romero won a Silver at the previous Olympics in Rowing - & this time she won a Gold - in Cycling! How about that?

But because of those damn dumbass idiots like Ben Johnson & Dwayne Chambers, my first thought these days is always "are they "clean"?".

The Jamaican sprinters have been awsesome, & no doubt has been cast upon their integrity, nor should it.

But if you think about it, it's almost beyond belief, what they've done. Jamaica is a tiny, tiny, country. And that Bolt fella won the 100 - not even his main event! - doing handstands. 100 metre races at the top level are always blanket finishes, but he was yards ahead.

And thern came the Jamaican women sprinters, in their 100 metres. A gold - their first ever Medal in the ladies 100 metres? - & 2nd & 3rd too - well, 2nd & 2nd, technically. A clean sweep, anyway, & that's never been done before, either.

And I'm thinking - again - "oh please let them be clean".

Assuming they are clean, it'll be extraordinary what Jamaica have done here.

And that's the debt that those cheating lying sods like Ben Johnson & Dwayne Chambers owe us - they've removed the innocence, the purity, the belief we have when dreams come true. There is no price you can put on that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:13:09 PM by tikay » Logged

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8232 on: August 18, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »

Tikay, did you know that 7 of the 8 athletes from the Ben Johnson final have since proved positive for drugs at 1 time or another.

Linford Christie is banned from track side

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: August 18, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

from wiki

The development of muscle-building properties of testosterone was pursued in the 1940s, in the Soviet Union and in Eastern Bloc countries such as East Germany, where steroid programs were used to enhance the performance of Olympic and other amateur weight lifters.[12] In response to the success of Russian weightlifters, the U.S. Olympic Team physician Dr. John Ziegler worked with synthetic chemists to develop an anabolic steroid for American weightlifters, resulting in the production of methandrostenolone (Dianabol).[13] Dianabol, developed by Ciba Pharmaceuticals, was approved for use in the U.S. by the Food and Drug Administration in 1958.

But Johnson and hundreds of other athletes have long complained that they used doping in order to remain on an equal footing with the other top athletes on drugs they had to compete against.
His claim bears some weight in light of the revelations since 1988. Including Johnson, four of the top five finishers of the 100-meter race have all tested positive for banned drugs at some point in their careers: Carl Lewis[3], who was given the gold medal, Linford Christie who was moved up to the silver medal, and Dennis Mitchell. Of these, only Johnson was forced to give up his records and his medals

Tough to be a clean sprinter in the 80's when everybody else was on drugs

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: August 18, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »

Tikay, did you know that 7 of the 8 athletes from the Ben Johnson final have since proved positive for drugs at 1 time or another.

Linford Christie is banned from track side

No, I did not, but it makes my point.

Ugh.

Pages: 1 ... 545 546 547 548 [549] 550 551 552 553 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: