blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587054 times)
DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »

It's like watching ole Evil Knievel coming down the ramp.......
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 06:07:55 PM »

It's like watching ole Evil Knievel coming down the ramp.......

Correct.

With blinds still 100/200 I opened the throttle of my pocket queens and hurtled toward the row of double deckers represented here by an all in from someone with 3400 in chips and AK in the hole.
I suppose the result was predictable. I called, and for a moment it looked good, but unfortunately I slammed into the side of the last bus when an ace came on the river.

Bruised and bleeding, I picked myself up, tightened my helmet and carried on gamely, albeit with my frame out of alignment and my wheels ever so slightly buckled.

I finally toppled over about 6 hours later, one level from the end. I re-raised all in for my last 4000 with AQ and found my opponent holding QQ.

I thought I would be really downhearted at having blown it after such a good start, but somehow, that just wasn't the case. The only strong emotion that I felt was a longing for the next one, (the Walsall leg) to hurry up and get here. I'm definitely going to win that one.

The older I get, the better I was.
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »

Unlucky Red and I'm sure you will take one down!!

Patience is a virtue.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »

Great read, Mr Red.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »

I think tikay is hiding his light under a bushel.

"What kind of bird is that?" he asks innocently, pointing at a dark silhouette floating in the middle of a lake.

I'm not sure, but I decide to bluff and rely on the fact that at this distance, his gammy mincers will prevent contradiction. "It's a heron" I tell him.

At that moment, the bird takes off and flies directly over us. Then, for good measure, it flies around us in a tight circle. Then it lands again. In fact it does everything except shout "I'm not a bloody heron"

"I don't think it's a heron" Tony says quietly.

"No" I reply, "I can see now, it's a Wainwright's duck"

"Hmm.. Do you think perhaps it could be a cormorant?" He asks.

"No" I say, "Definitely not".

I did a google image search for cormorant when I got home, and guess what? There was about 500 pictures, and every one looked exactly like the one we had seen.

(If Wainwright's ducks existed though, I bet they would look very similar.)

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 07:01:21 PM »

This is a GREAT read Tom. I do hope you persevere with it.

Between us, we can bore everyone to tears. Though I'm doing OK in that department I gather.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 07:02:34 PM »

Tell them about the Roma Caravan.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
steeveg

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »

i dont think ive ever laughed so much when someones writing how they got knocked out,lol
i am certain you could write a big deal type of book, i would buy it for sure
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 12:29:44 AM »

Tell them about the Roma Caravan.

OK. On Wednesday, as yer man tikay and I were slowly wending our way back to Brighton after spending the night at Heathrow, we found ourselves with time on our hands and adventure in out hearts.
To satisfy our lust for excitement, we left the main thoroughfare at regular intervals and braved the road less travelled. Our efforts did not go unrewarded.
As well as some beautiful iron railings, a school for the blind with an unfathomable glass annex, a miniature railway with a German name, and the lake with the aforementioned cormorant, we saw something else. Something so out of place that I had to stop and take a closer look.

Standing on the driveway of a small semi-detached house was a filthy, but perfectly sound Roma Caravan of the type made specifically for Gypsies. This particular model, the Roma Special (see link http://www.roma-caravan.onestop.net/) was manufactured from about 1968 to 1989 and came as a basic van which was then fitted out and finished to the individual's own specification, so in reality, every one was unique. The one we were looking at was, I thought, quite an early model judging by the cut glass windows. The later ones had Perspex double-glazing.

I was filled with nostalgia. I raised a family in a caravan exactly like this, only ours was much plainer and hence more practical. I will try to scan a picture of ours into the computer so that I can post it on here. The one in the link picture is a "Flash" trailer. For instance, a basic Roma had one single length of beading running along the side to protect against accidental damage. This beading was called a rubbing strip.
Gypsies, like magpies, have always been attracted by something shiny to decorate their homes, even the old horse drawn wagons were adorned with gold leaf and brightly coloured paintwork. It's perhaps not surprising then that the single bright rubbing strip soon became two rubbing strips, then two became four and so on until the whole caravan was covered with them, even the roof.
The same went for the interior. The basic model was all Formica (Do any of you remember Formica?) very practical and almost indestructable, the "Flash" trailers had cut glass and mirrors on every available surface.

You would never see a gorger (non Gypsy) with this type of caravan, his car wouldn't tow it. They weighed several tons and had to be pulled by a lorry. Mrs Red bless her, towed ours hundreds of miles while I towed our other, lighter 'bedroom' caravan with the car.

So associated with Gypsies are these caravans, and so much did our son Tommy love to travel, that we had the image of one etched on to the back of his gravestone so that any Gypsy who passes by, be he literate or not, will know that one of his own kind lies here.

Of course, you do occasionally find the odd one that has been bought by a gorger for whatever reason, and in spite of the "Travellers Rest" nameplate on the house, and the plastic figure of a lurcher striking at a hare, I suspect that this was the case here. It just didn't feel like a Gypsy's place. We can usually sense each other's presence (On hearing this, some wag once told me it was the smell) I got no vibes here. I knocked on the door of the house but no one answered. (No dog barked either. Another clue?)

That aside, why would a proper Gypsy let a beautiful old caravan like this stand there covered in filth? It was sacrilege. You will never see a Gypsy with a dirty caravan unless it got dirty travelling and he hasn't had time to clean it yet.

It was a mystery. One of these days, I will go back and solve it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:31:19 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »

Here we are standing in front of ours.

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 01:24:02 AM »

This is lovely Tom x
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 02:24:23 AM »

Is it me or are these updates QUOTE

"slower than a tractor on the M25 in RUSH HOUR" !!!!!!!! unquote:  scared   

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »

Well I've fallen off the wagon more times than an oversize wheel rim, but today my diet re-starts in earnest.

No longer will my name be mentioned alongside such bloaters as tikay, Chili, Dewi Cool, Rod Paradise et al. The new svelte Red starts here.

Now, if you will excuse me for a moment, I'm just going too weigh myself. I will report my starting weight, and my new, lower weight every Monday.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »

15st 1lb 

Smoke me a lettuce.....

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »

15st 1lb 

Smoke me a lettuce.....

Blimey, I don't feel so tubby now at a mere 11st 13lb.

I actually thought that tikay had added a coulpe of stones on for artistic effect as he is wont.....

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: