blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 2042 2043 [2044] 2045 2046 2047 2048 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3607972 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30645 on: June 30, 2019, 04:29:58 PM »

Things I've learned today.

Alan Clarke owned and lived in a castle.

Jenny Agutter did a movie with a full nudity sex scene.

Alan Clarke owned Leeds Castle, which is nowhere near Leeds. Posh folks have no sense.

I know Jenny did Walkabout, but I don’t remember their being any sex in that.

Pics are on my iPad btw,

I sense you have become a little confused there David, & I speak as someone who is a bit of a keen observer of all things Alan Clark.

Leeds Castle is owned by a Foundation, & has been used in the past for various high level political meetings, in particular the NI Peace talks. Alan Clarke has never lived there.

Alan Clarke lived at Saltwood Castle, though it was previously owned & occupied by his Dad, Kenneth Clarke, the noted Historian. (Civilisation etc).  

Both Castles are in Kent, perhaps causing the confusion.

As Castles go, Saltwood is fairly modest, though it has a proper moat, & Alan Clarke used to regularly swim in it. In fact it has TWO moats, an inner & an outer. Not too many of us can boast of having 2 moats.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:35:32 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30646 on: June 30, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »

Mr Tal.

I discovered this morning that I am probably a dilettante.

Opinion please.

One with an amateur interest in the arts? Or in the general sense of being a dabbler or potterer?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30647 on: June 30, 2019, 04:54:26 PM »

Mr Tal.

Opinion please.

One with an amateur interest in the arts? Or in the general sense of being a dabbler or potterer?

Ooh! Two definitions for the price of one. Do you think I qualify for both?

The older I get, the better I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30648 on: June 30, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »

Mr Tal.

Opinion please.

I think these are best decided by self-assessment.

The latter is clear from your diary. The former wouldn't need explanation, but you might want to tell us what's prompted the confession.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30649 on: June 30, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »

Mr Tal.

Opinion please.

I think these are best decided by self-assessment.

The latter is clear from your diary. The former wouldn't need explanation, but you might want to tell us what's prompted the confession.

I heard the word dilettante and had no idea what it meant, so I looked it up and saw

A person who cultivates an area of interest, such as the arts, without real commitment or knowledge.

and thought, that's me.

I'm interested is so many things that I can't fully commit to any, so it seemed to fit me perfectly. The dabbler potterer was just a bonus.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30650 on: June 30, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »

I do however find that people who totally commit to something, be it grunge music, hiking, stock-car racing or stamp collecting are the happiest people around, and often the most fascinating.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30651 on: June 30, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »

More things I learned today.

Kurt Cobain was dead for 3 days before they found him.

Blur won the Battle of the Bands vs Oasis but I can't recall a single Blur, er, single.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #30652 on: June 30, 2019, 06:05:49 PM »

Alan Clarke owned Leeds Castle, which is nowhere near Leeds. Posh folks have no sense.

I know Jenny did Walkabout, but I don’t remember their being any sex in that.

Pics are on my iPad btw,

I sense you have become a little confused there David, & I speak as someone who is a bit of a keen observer of all things Alan Clark.

Leeds Castle is owned by a Foundation, & has been used in the past for various high level political meetings, in particular the NI Peace talks. Alan Clarke has never lived there.

Alan Clarke lived at Saltwood Castle, though it was previously owned & occupied by his Dad, Kenneth Clarke, the noted Historian. (Civilisation etc).  

Both Castles are in Kent, perhaps causing the confusion.

As Castles go, Saltwood is fairly modest, though it has a proper moat, & Alan Clarke used to regularly swim in it. In fact it has TWO moats, an inner & an outer. Not too many of us can boast of having 2 moats.

I’m easily confused these days.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30653 on: July 01, 2019, 06:40:50 AM »

Last night I dreamed I went to a small collection of run down shops called The Hustings.

?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30654 on: July 01, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »

How did you come to learn that Tom - was it from watching the dramatised TV Series of the Alan Clark Diaries on BBC2?

I have read the books, & was surprised to find that, unusually, the TV Series was not a disappointment.

It was made 15 years ago & starred John Hurt. As TV series go, it has aged remarkably well.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30655 on: July 01, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »

A few days ago, & quite by chance, I learned that people from Guatemala are shorter in height than those from almost any other country on earth.

We were pokering, and a new female Dealer arrived at the table, she was tiny. (Height-wise). Before she even spoke, a chap said "are you from Guatamela?"

She said she was.

I asked the guy later how he knew.

"Well I never knew, but her skin colour, hair & stature suggested she was".

I said "stature?".

He said "yes, the indigenous population of Guatemala are, on average, shorter than people from anywhere else on earth". 

This sounded like bollox to me, but a peruse of the internet suggests it is, largely speaking, true.

Quite why they are so short I've yet to discover.   

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30656 on: July 01, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »

A few days ago, & quite by chance, I learned that people from Guatemala are shorter in height than those from almost any other country on earth.

We were pokering, and a new female Dealer arrived at the table, she was tiny. (Height-wise). Before she even spoke, a chap said "are you from Guatamela?"

She said she was.

I asked the guy later how he knew.

"Well I never knew, but her skin colour, hair & stature suggested she was".

I said "stature?".

He said "yes, the indigenous population of Guatemala are, on average, shorter than people from anywhere else on earth".  

This sounded like bollox to me, but a peruse of the internet suggests it is, largely speaking, true.

Quite why they are so short I've yet to discover.  

Yes, the TV prog. Funnily enough I was going to recommend it to you.

The answer to the dealer's stature question is in the book I'm currently reading Sapiens. A Brief History Of Humankind.

I recommend that also.

Whilst I'm recommending, can I suggest you check out Britain's Greatest Bridges on Channel 5 or on demand on Sky.

Nice to have you back BTW. You constitute 33% of my readership.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #30657 on: July 01, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »

I noticed this on Pads' twitter feed

https://mobile.twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1145274091273781248

I think I got to witness this first hand at the Wynn pool the other morning, and in a reversal of the result of the NBA finals, it looked like Raptors 0, "Nuisance birds" 1 to me.   

The "nuisance birds", or wildlife as we know them in the UK, were mobbing what looked like a hawk with such ferocity that it eventually flew off with its tail between its legs.   Think they might need a bigger bird.   

It was all good entertainment from poolside, but if the aim is to allow people to eat their breakfast in peace, they are a long way from their goal.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30658 on: July 01, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »

I think I got to witness this first hand at the Wynn pool the other morning, and in a reversal of the result of the NBA finals, it looked like Raptors 0, "Nuisance birds" 1 to me.   

The "nuisance birds", or wildlife as we know them in the UK, were mobbing what looked like a hawk with such ferocity that it eventually flew off with its tail between its legs.   Think they might need a bigger bird.   

It was all good entertainment from poolside, but if the aim is to allow people to eat their breakfast in peace, they are a long way from their goal.

One of the replies to that Tweet was rather good I thought;

Any update on keeping Steve Wynn away from nuisanced birds?

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #30659 on: July 01, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »

The falconers can raise though, the game's still on, they're using Harris Hawks, the only raptor that will hunt in a flock. They've even been known to hunt deer. Nuisance birds may find the Sean Connery of the harris hark family about to show up...

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 2042 2043 [2044] 2045 2046 2047 2048 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: