blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:54:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2042 2043 2044 2045 [2046] 2047 2048 2049 2050 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3607605 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #30675 on: July 02, 2019, 03:09:24 PM »

I'm a confirmed atheist but it's difficult to believe that this all came about through random chance and cold blooded natural selection.

Click to see full-size image.

If it came about as a result of natural selection - then by definition it isn't random chance.

Living organisms mutate through random chance, nature selects the best random mutation by dint of those genes being the most likely to be passed on.

At least that's how I understand it.

Happy as always to stand corrected though.

The scene isn't pleasing because of every random mutation that has ever previously happened before - it's pleasing because the ones that were successful are still here; the fact that those mutations became fixed isn't random - therefore the whole thing isn't random.

I agree, but I don't think I said the whole thing was random.

Okay, I see the confusion I read it as (a+b) but I can see now you meant (a) ---> (b)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30676 on: July 02, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »

I took this yesterday on Fosse Meadows where all forms of weedkiller and pesticides are banned. This is what the cows graze on and what gets made into hay.

I'm a confirmed atheist but it's difficult to believe that this all came about through random chance and cold blooded natural selection.

Looks great with the meadow flowers. I went on an introductory course in beekeeping Saturday, I'm now even more keenly checking which farmers let wildflowers grow in their silage & hay fields as I'm hoping to have a few hives next year. (could also come under dilettante news Cheesy)

A lady in the village keeps 3 hives Rod, I've been round to have a look and it is very interesting.

A swarm came over my place a few weeks ago. It cast a shadow like an eclipse and the noise was incredible. I have to admit it scared me.

How, if at all, did the dogs react, Tom?

As it happened I was just walking between one caravan and the other when I noticed all the dogs looking very intently in the same direction, so I looked too and saw what looked like a cloud of smoke drifting towards us. I was puzzled but within a few seconds a few front-runner bees went buzzing past and it dawned on me what was happening.

The kids were playing on the lawn and Mrs Red was hanging washing out. I shouted at them to get inside but it was very difficult to convey the urgency of the situation. I started to really scream at them and they finally got the message and dashed indoors. I wanted to get the dogs in too but they had gone into defensive mode and were barking and snarling.

As the main body of the swarm arrived I ducked inside and ran to the window. I was really worried that the dogs would be attacked but the bees just continued on their way.

The whole thing can't have lasted more than 60 seconds from beginning to end. I still have no idea if we were in danger or not.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30677 on: July 02, 2019, 03:24:39 PM »

Okay, I see the confusion I read it as (a+b) but I can see now you meant (a) ---> (b)

Yes, I probably could have put it better.

Still, randomness notwithstanding, the beauty in nature is still measures 11 on the my gobsmackometer.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #30678 on: July 02, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »

All that randomness in daisies follows the Fibonacci sequence though. Maths eh.

https://goldenratiomyth.weebly.com/phyllotaxis-the-fibonacci-sequence-in-nature.html

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30679 on: July 02, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »

All that randomness in daisies follows the Fibonacci sequence though. Maths eh.

https://goldenratiomyth.weebly.com/phyllotaxis-the-fibonacci-sequence-in-nature.html

It is truly mind blowing.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30680 on: July 02, 2019, 05:19:49 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I saw an oldish motorhome advertised for sale. I went to have a look at it and spoke to a young man who looked to be in his early 20s. He explained that the motorhome had belonged to his father, who was now, unfortunately, deceased. I offered the young man my condolences and we fell into conversation. He told me that his dad had died from cancer.

I gave the motorhome the once over. It had obviously been stood for a while, it was very dirty with a good coating of bird droppings, one of the tyres was flat and there was moss growing between the side widows and the rubbers. Inside it had that fusty, stale air smell.

The battery was flat but after checking the oil and water levels I connected some jump-leads, turned the starter and she fired up. After one belch of black smoke the exhaust blew clear and the diesel engine purred nicely.

To cut a long story short I bought it and brought it home.

Looking through the paperwork, which was all kept neatly in a wooden cigar box, I noticed that the owner had had it for two years and had MOT'd it twice, once when he bought it and once again a year later, it was now due for MOT again. Looking at the mileage I realised that it had covered less than 300 miles in that time, and 100+ of those were mine.

Going over the vehicle was like looking over the shoulder of the man who had owned it. I could see him doing things like waxoyling the chassis, putting copper grease on the thread of the spare wheel holder, replacing a perished hose on the waste-water system, and making a catch to fit a drawer because he couldn't buy an original. 

There was a selection of non-perishable foodstuffs in the kitchen cupboards and a sensible small tool kit under the locker. The filling hoses and electrical hook-up cables were coiled properly and stored neatly, everything was done with care and affection.

I don't know why I'm telling you about this really, it's just that I feel such an affinity with this man that I never new and yet feel that I know so well.

His motorhome did virtually no mileage while he owned it, so it's a safe bet to assume that his illness prevented him from using it.

Did he harbour a vain hope that he would recover as he worked to maintain and improve his vehicle, or did he plod doggedly on, preparing for an adventure he knew he would never have?

It seems daft, but I can't help but treat the things that were his with reverence.

Bon Voyage my friend, I hope you had a good life and a peaceful death.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30681 on: July 02, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »

Things I've learned today.

Serena Williams lifetime earnings, 88.8 million.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30682 on: July 02, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »

Things I've learned today.

Serena Williams lifetime earnings, 88.8 million.

Oh, and also Fibonacci sequence.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #30683 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »

Hi  Tom how you doing?
Interesting tale of the old camper, what make/model was it?
i bought this old fiesta earlier in year from a lady round the corner from me, it didnt go......the fuel pump relay had packed up and had been stood for about 18months.
anyway for 40 quid couldnt go wrong, got it going and took it racing, painted in 'Starskey and Hutch' colours.
If the link to video works you can see it in action at 47-53 seconds and the bit at 1.03-1.10 where the green puma just decided to pull across right in front of me Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRMB9r6lZg

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30684 on: July 03, 2019, 07:31:39 AM »

Hi Ade, I'm great mate, thanks for asking. You must be doing OK too if you're still fit enough to go bouncing around in that Fiesta. It looks like it was a great day

The motorhome is a Peugeot Boxer with an Eldis body.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #30685 on: July 03, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »

I took this yesterday on Fosse Meadows where all forms of weedkiller and pesticides are banned. This is what the cows graze on and what gets made into hay.

Looks great with the meadow flowers. I went on an introductory course in beekeeping Saturday, I'm now even more keenly checking which farmers let wildflowers grow in their silage & hay fields as I'm hoping to have a few hives next year. (could also come under dilettante news Cheesy)

A lady in the village keeps 3 hives Rod, I've been round to have a look and it is very interesting.

A swarm came over my place a few weeks ago. It cast a shadow like an eclipse and the noise was incredible. I have to admit it scared me.

I've been scared by them in the past as well, although on the course they explained that that's when bees are at their least stingy (hence the beard of bees stunt).

Next year I'll be praying to hear of a swarm so I can go catch it and save a couple of hundred quid on a nucleus colony for my hives....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30686 on: July 03, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »

Saw this excellent photo - anyone able to name the 2 species?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #30687 on: July 03, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »

Defo Male Sparrow Hawk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30688 on: July 03, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »

Defo Male Sparrow Hawk

Correct. Eurasian Sparrowhawk specifically. Though I only know because I cheated.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30689 on: July 03, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »

Pied wagtail?

Pages: 1 ... 2042 2043 2044 2045 [2046] 2047 2048 2049 2050 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: