blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272575 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2045 2046 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 2052 2053 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3604361 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30720 on: July 03, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »

I've been waiting for my diary traffic to recover since 2007.

I still enjoy it though. I can't wait to see what I'm going to post next.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30721 on: July 03, 2019, 08:50:54 PM »

We were stood on the platform at Union Station Los Angeles admiring the locomotive, and something on the driving wheel caught my eye - that sort of curly pipe which sits close to the gear ring or cog which is attached to the driving wheel. Any idea what it might do? Might be something to do with a speedometer, but just guessing.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30722 on: July 03, 2019, 08:53:19 PM »

She had her eyeball tattooed and now she's warning others against it.

Phew! Glad I saw this in time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5141291/Ottawa-woman-risk-losing-eye-botched-tattoo.html

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30723 on: July 03, 2019, 08:59:36 PM »

We were stood on the platform at Union Station Los Angeles admiring the locomotive, and something on the driving wheel caught my eye - that sort of curly pipe which sits close to the gear ring or cog which is attached to the driving wheel. Any idea what it might do? Might be something to do with a speedometer, but just guessing.

It looks like an air or fluid pipe. Could it be cooling that sprocket with compressed air?

I need to understand what that cog/sprocket does.

Does it turn the wheel directly and if so what turns it?

Why is it dry? It must me under tremendous pressure. I understand the need to keep oil off the track but my goodness those teeth must be hard if they run without lubrication.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30724 on: July 03, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »

There's a bit of a side story to that photo.

We were dressed in full tourist regalia, & I was crouching down using my 'phone to take that photo.

I get a tap on the shoulder, & there's a fella stood there, he was a full-on FBI caricature - dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, shades. He told me to stop taking photos. 

I guess I must have arched an eyebrow, so he went on to explain that surely I understood that in these days or terrorism we can't go round taking photos of stuff willy-nilly. 

I was a little put out, but Gill, who suffers from an abundance of common-sense, shot me a disapproving look, so I thought I had better button my lip.

Good job that fella has never been to the UK, where railway platforms are often full of geeks all taking train photos & scribbling notes.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30725 on: July 03, 2019, 09:04:13 PM »

It looks like an air or fluid pipe. Could it be cooling that sprocket with compressed air?

I need to understand what that cog/sprocket does.

Does it turn the wheel directly and if so what turns it?

Why is it dry? It must me under tremendous pressure. I understand the need to keep oil off the track but my goodness those teeth must be hard if they run without lubrication.

I have no idea of the answers to any of those questions. It just struck me as odd. I would think it unlikely that it drives the wheel, too small.

I bet Mr Long or atdc will know.  

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30726 on: July 03, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »

We were dressed in full tourist regalia, & I was crouching down using my 'phone to take that photo.

I get a tap on the shoulder, & there's a fella stood there, he was a full-on FBI caricature - dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, shades. He told me to stop taking photos. 

I guess I must have arched an eyebrow, so he went on to explain that surely I understood that in these days or terrorism we can't go round taking photos of stuff willy-nilly. 

I was a little put out, but Gill, who suffers from an abundance of common-sense, shot me a disapproving look, so I thought I had better button my lip.

Good job that fella has never been to the UK, where railway platforms are often full of geeks all taking train photos & scribbling notes.

A WPC  once told me to stop taking photographs in Chesterfield market because there was an ATM machine in shot. I continued to take photos and invited her to arrest me, she declined.

I would have loved that day in court.

Had I been in the US of A facing the FB of I, my course of action may well have been different.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #30727 on: July 03, 2019, 10:56:51 PM »

I have no idea of the answers to any of those questions. It just struck me as odd. I would think it unlikely that it drives the wheel, too small.

Well that was a fascinating 15 minutes of testing my google fu. Started with 'rail vehicle wheel transducer' and now know more than I ever want to about rail speed detection.

http://www.arrowvale.co.uk/rail/rail-sensors/railspeedsensors
https://www.lenord.com/fileadmin/kundenbereich/.../BRO_railway-solutions_EN.pdf

Always makes we wonder about the people for whom making, selling, designing this stuff is their day job, the long days must just fly by.
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30728 on: July 03, 2019, 11:10:54 PM »

Is the American standard gauge wider than ours?

No, exactly the same as the UK - 4 foot 8 & a half inches.

Lol. That's a nice round number. How did they get there?

I assume that's standard for Europe too?

All of Europe uses "Standard Gauge" except Russia, Finland & ...... Ireland.

If Brunel had his way, the gauge would be 7', & his original railways were all built to that wide gauge. All the other UK railways were built to what is now known as Standard Gauge though, so he was forced to adopt it too.

The benefits of the wider gauge were better stability, & it's a shame he had to change, 7' would be so much better in so many ways.

Erm.... Iberian gauge?

(in Spain they have trains that go through a building and they squish their wheels together so they go in on one gauge and leave on another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiH4kt14yGw

)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30729 on: July 03, 2019, 11:22:55 PM »

Is the American standard gauge wider than ours?

No, exactly the same as the UK - 4 foot 8 & a half inches.

Lol. That's a nice round number. How did they get there?

I assume that's standard for Europe too?

All of Europe uses "Standard Gauge" except Russia, Finland & ...... Ireland.

If Brunel had his way, the gauge would be 7', & his original railways were all built to that wide gauge. All the other UK railways were built to what is now known as Standard Gauge though, so he was forced to adopt it too.

The benefits of the wider gauge were better stability, & it's a shame he had to change, 7' would be so much better in so many ways.

Erm.... Iberian gauge?

(in Spain they have trains that go through a building and they squish their wheels together so they go in on one gauge and leave on another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiH4kt14yGw

)

Fair point, but Spanish Railways are toytown stuff, not proper grown-up railways.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30730 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:09 PM »

Well that was a fascinating 15 minutes of testing my google fu. Started with 'rail vehicle wheel transducer' and now know more than I ever want to about rail speed detection.

http://www.arrowvale.co.uk/rail/rail-sensors/railspeedsensors
https://www.lenord.com/fileadmin/kundenbereich/.../BRO_railway-solutions_EN.pdf

Always makes we wonder about the people for whom making, selling, designing this stuff is their day job, the long days must just fly by.

Stop it. Best jobs in the world are on the railways. Huge regret that I never followed the family into railway work.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30731 on: July 04, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »

I never even considered that it could be a transducer.

One thing still puzzles me. How did you get an know that Longy would know?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30732 on: July 04, 2019, 08:39:33 AM »

I never even considered that it could be a transducer.

One thing still puzzles me. How did you get an know that Longy would know?

*googles transducer, none the wiser*

Longines knows everything. Even how to change a power-steering thing.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #30733 on: July 04, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »

A WPC  once told me to stop taking photographs in Chesterfield market because there was an ATM machine in shot. I continued to take photos and invited her to arrest me, she declined.

I would have loved that day in court.

Had I been in the US of A facing the FB of I, my course of action may well have been different.

I was told in a New York hotel to stop taking photo's of the murals on the walls because... terrorism.

I had already taken them and we were checking out so there wasn't any reason to make a fuss but I've seen before in photography articles it bugs the hell out of photographers.

If nothing else because the one thing terrorists don't do before an attack is go and take photo's of the target. It's the one clear way to make sure you're on the radar of the people who are trying to stop you.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30734 on: July 04, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »

If nothing else because the one thing terrorists don't do before an attack is go and take photo's of the target. It's the one clear way to make sure you're on the radar of the people who are trying to stop you.

I was once alerted to a blog post, (I think it was on mumsnet) that twigs arranged in the shape of an arrow near your stables or paddock means the Gypsies are going to steal your horse.

Pages: 1 ... 2045 2046 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 2052 2053 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: