blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1806 1807 1808 1809 [1810] 1811 1812 1813 1814 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3586908 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27135 on: October 10, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »

And there's still gold in them that hills...

This nugget was found by someone on a gold panning course this summer & is worth £10,000.

Click to see full-size image.

Wow!

I wonder why it's worth 10k?

It's worth £440 by weight, but gold from there is rare, and nuggets really rare, it is said to be among the purest found naturally at 22.8 carats & the last nugget wound was 1/4 of the size in 2002, so the value is collector's value rather than gold value.

No-one usually makes much panning in the Mennock valley, but there's a few hardy souls who do it regularly, some also add value by collecting semi-precious stones as well.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #27136 on: October 10, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »

Spent a couple of hours here today. It's one of my favorite places to browse.

I wonder if Geo has ever been to an army surplus depot

I can't help but notice that you have parked on double yellow lines AND very close to the entrance.

TUT TUT.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27137 on: October 10, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »

Tom, are you familiar with Enthoven's battery recycling plant up at Darley Dale? (As a side issue, they used to have a lovely fleet of lorries).

Locals say that the ground around there is fearfully contaminated, and the rabbits are not fit to eat.

Yes I am.

I used to buy a lot of scrap batteries and traction plates (milk float batteries) back in the day and I was always ringing around the country looking for the best price.

Sometimes it was best to sell them whole, just as they came off the car, (But obv topped up with water to make then weigh hevier) and somtimes it was better to 'break' them, i.e. smash the plastic case off and just sell the lead plates.

The latter method was very environmentally unfriendly because gallons of acid would be allowed to just soak in to the ground leaving big patches that would be devoid of life for ages.

I'm sure I contaminated myself just as much. by the end of a day's battery breaking my clothes would literally disintegrate.

Thinking about it, we also used to pour engine and gearbox oil down drains, and set fire to great big piles of armour cable which sent huge clouds of acrid smoke billowing into the atmosphere, no one batted an eyelid.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27138 on: October 10, 2015, 01:21:15 PM »

Spent a couple of hours here today. It's one of my favorite places to browse.

I wonder if Geo has ever been to an army surplus depot

I can't help but notice that you have parked on double yellow lines AND very close to the entrance.

TUT TUT.

I didn't park, I got off the bike to take a picture.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27139 on: October 10, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »

I bought Bridie a car from the auction yesterday, today she wanted to tax it so I told her, wrongly as it turns out, that she would have to go to the post office and send the registration document off.

Anyway, we went and taxed it. It falls under Vehicle excise duty band A, which means the tax is free, but these days you don't actually get a tax disc or anything, so basically we've just been to the post office to pay no money for invisible tax.

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #27140 on: October 10, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »

I bought Bridie a car from the auction yesterday, today she wanted to tax it so I told her, wrongly as it turns out, that she would have to go to the post office and send the registration document off.

Anyway, we went and taxed it. It falls under Vehicle excise duty band A, which means the tax is free, but these days you don't actually get a tax disc or anything, so basically we've just been to the post office to pay no money for invisible tax.

I bought my son a car a couple of weeks ago, came home and taxed the vehicle online using the serial number on the portion of the V5 we retain until car re-registered. Although it was taxed for another 4 months, previously this would carry over to the new owner, however now the new owner has to pay from day they take ownership and the 4 months is refunded to the previous owner.

I have no idea why they have chosen to change this as it's just more administration for them and cannot see how DVLA benefit from the change.

Unbelieveably I have never been to an Army Surplus depot and apart from the Tank museum in Bovington (only as it was part of a course I was doing some years ago) I have never visited a military museum. Not by choice, merely lack of opportunity. Am hoping to put that right last week of this month as Mrs Geo and I are taking a few days off down to York so hopefully take a trip down to Leeds to visit the Armouries.

BTW, doesn't Rod make some fabulous contributions to these diaries?

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #27141 on: October 10, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »

I have no idea why they have chosen to change this as it's just more administration for them and cannot see how DVLA benefit from the change.

[/quote]

Don't they get a double payment in the month of changeover?

Also the main motivation imo is to get cars with dubious ownership clamped asap ie no one can buy a car for cash with 12 months tax and mot and not get round to registering it for months (or bothering with insurance).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27142 on: October 10, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »

Cheers Geo, very kind of you.

Re Leeds armouries I can't recommend them enough. I was contracting in Wakefield a while ago and got a season ticket to the Armouries they were so good. The jousting demonstration is amazing, and the swordfighting demos inside are some of the best around (and I have had that confirmed from sword fighting instructors - who say they're so good they don't look choreographed).

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27143 on: October 10, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »

I bought my son a car a couple of weeks ago, came home and taxed the vehicle online using the serial number on the portion of the V5 we retain until car re-registered. Although it was taxed for another 4 months, previously this would carry over to the new owner, however now the new owner has to pay from day they take ownership and the 4 months is refunded to the previous owner.

Unbelieveably I have never been to an Army Surplus depot and apart from the Tank museum in Bovington (only as it was part of a course I was doing some years ago) I have never visited a military museum. Not by choice, merely lack of opportunity. Am hoping to put that right last week of this month as Mrs Geo and I are taking a few days off down to York so hopefully take a trip down to Leeds to visit the Armouries.

Geo

The change to the way the road tax works is so that criminals can't buy a car that is already taxed and use it for nefarious purposes. When I was in the motor trade I could always sell a taxed car to people who called themselves J Smith or P Jones.

Now the car has to be registered to the present owner or run around with no tax on.

I kind of guessed that you had never been to an army surplus place. It's kinda like carrying coals to Newcastle.

I love Rod's stuff. He has so many interests that mirror mine but the difference is, he really knows his onions. It's sometimes difficult to get him going but it's great once he starts.

I miss your writing too Geo. Your life may seem ordinary to you, but it's fascinating to the rest of us.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27144 on: October 10, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »

Also the main motivation imo is to get cars with dubious ownership clamped asap ie no one can buy a car for cash with 12 months tax and mot and not get round to registering it for months (or bothering with insurance).

Ninjad.

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #27145 on: October 10, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »

Geo

The change to the way the road tax works is so that criminals can't buy a car that is already taxed and use it for nefarious purposes. When I was in the motor trade I could always sell a taxed car to people who called themselves J Smith or P Jones.

Now the car has to be registered to the present owner or run around with no tax on.

I kind of guessed that you had never been to an army surplus place. It's kinda like carrying coals to Newcastle.

I love Rod's stuff. He has so many interests that mirror mine but the difference is, he really knows his onions. It's sometimes difficult to get him going but it's great once he starts.

I miss your writing too Geo. Your life may seem ordinary to you, but it's fascinating to the rest of us.

Yes, I remember you mentioning this when the changes were introduced. I still think they are bearing increased administration costs for the sake of a few rogues.

I couldn't even tell you if there was an Army Surplus depot any where near me, I would guess maybe Stirling as that's where the main depot/motor pool was for the Army In Scotland.

I just haven't had the time to write due to upheavels in the industry I work in (pensions) which has meant having to put a hell of a lot of additional time into my job. There have also been many threads I would have loved to have got involved in, however by the time I had seen them they had already descended into slanging matches and I've learnt that you will rarely change someones opinion/perception on a forum.

Geo

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #27146 on: October 10, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

Don't they get a double payment in the month of changeover?

[/quote]

No double payment I believe as they refund pro rata to the previous owner

Geo

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #27147 on: October 11, 2015, 03:00:41 AM »

They will gain loads in double payments.
if i buy a car on  the first of the month and tax it for a year , say £180, then 4days later sell it to someone else, they will have to tax it again from the first of the same month, and i will only get 11 months worth of tax back. so in effect we will both pay for the same month the car was bought/sold in.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27148 on: October 11, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

I don't know how long I sat on that bench in the snooker hall with my little brother Trace, when you're a kid five minutes can seem like an hour, and when you're a scared kid it can seem like a lifetime. I was aching to go home and I knew I could easily find the way. Brynmawr is only a small town and it has a mountain off to one side. Our trailers were at the foot of that mountain. I'd walked to the town and back from the trailers many times. I knew it wasn't far and the temptation to go was strong.

I didn't go though. I absolutely hated the thought of sitting on that lonely bench in the dim light, but my dad had told us to wait there and I hated the thought of disobeying him more. Not because he would beat me if I did, but because I would disappoint him. You see my dad was all about the carrot rather than the stick. Don't get me wrong, if we really deserved it we would feel the weight of his hand, but not without fair warning. He wasn't one of those dad's that give you a clout for the slightest reason if they are in a bad mood and let you get away with murder if they are in a good mood. He was scrupulously fair. Lavish with his praise when we did, or even tried to do the right thing, and simply disappointed when we did wrong.

My mam, who we absolutely adored but whose patience we used to stretch to it's absolute limit, would rain blows down on us boys and they just bounced off. They had little effect on us either mentally or physically other than to let us know we had gone too far, but a disapproving glance from my dad was like a dagger through your heart.

I hated to disappoint him.

I stayed on the bench.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27149 on: October 11, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »

See. I waffle so much. This story will take forever at this rate.

Pages: 1 ... 1806 1807 1808 1809 [1810] 1811 1812 1813 1814 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: