blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:47:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2128 2129 2130 2131 [2132] 2133 2134 2135 2136 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587888 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31965 on: November 21, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »

Tom,

Battery disposal suddenly reminded me of H J Enthoven in Darley Dale. Did you ever go there?

Thry made a living buying used vehicle batteries & recycling them.

It was weird that such a toxic process could take place in, arguably, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I often went there on business, & it was pretty scary.

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember that eventually they got in trouble, as battery acid &/or lead was seeping into the ground & they kept finding poisoned rabbits. The land was contaminated for miles around, as their factory was atop a bit of a hill.

Essentially, I suppose, they recycled lead, maybe still do.

They kept a beautifully maintained fleet of green lorries, but oddly I can't find a single photo of one now.

Is the old Firth Rixson place still in business ?

I've not been to Darley Dale for a good while, but a quick search on google confirms they are still there, but are now owned by a USA based business, Alcoa. How did you know of therm boo?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31966 on: November 21, 2019, 08:11:30 PM »

Tom,

Battery disposal suddenly reminded me of H J Enthoven in Darley Dale. Did you ever go there?

It was weird that such a toxic process could take place in, arguably, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to remember that eventually they got in trouble, as battery acid &/or lead was seeping into the ground & they kept finding poisoned rabbits. The land was contaminated for miles around, as their factory was atop a bit of a hill.

They kept a beautifully maintained fleet of green lorries, but oddly I can't find a single photo of one now.

Is the old Firth Rixson place still in business ?

I've not been to Darley Dale for a good while, but a quick search on google confirms they are still there, but are now owned by a USA based business, Alcoa. How did you know of therm boo?

They used to manufacture parts for Scania and quite often if i had delivered nearby ,i would load up there for shipment to Holland or Germany.

First time i loaded there i noticed a short cut on my map ,so ,fully loaded,i endeavored to reduce my onward journey time.Unfortunately somebody had removed a no HGV sign and after winding my way upwards along a narrow road i came to a point where my Daf would pull no more.Attempting to reverse back down i put one of my wheels slighty off the road and it was game over.Cue a couple of hour wait for a recovery truck driver with a knowing grin.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31967 on: November 21, 2019, 08:42:09 PM »

Tom,

I didn't use Enthoven's because you had to have an account with them and you got paid by cheque.

I used Johnny Bullen's in Grantham. (later to become Lincolnshire Processed Metals).

Johnny was an old school rogue, an 'honest criminal' if you will. Everyone knew him, his word was as good as a page full of writing and he paid you in pound notes. (Literally. If you drew £200 from Bullens you needed a sack to put the money in, it looked like you had robbed a bank).

Johnny had a tiny yard but processed more ferrous, non ferrous and rags than anyone around. He employed a veritable army of down-and-outs to cart stuff around and keep things moving. When you drew into the yard they would descend on your lorry like a plague of locusts and everything would be unloaded, weighed in and stored before you could get your fag lit.

The only drawback was the yard closed for the day when the pubs opened at noon and the entire workforce left en masse.

I can't find anything about him online but he was in his 60's when I was 16.

He was a big dog man BTW, owned a few decent greyhounds by all accounts.

Thanks for the prompt. I have great memories of weighing in at Bullens but I haven't thought of him for ages.

I have found an indirect reference to Bullen's online. I'm sure there should be pictures but I can't see them.

https://www.louthleader.co.uk/lifestyle/05-10-07-fishermen-brought-back-plenty-of-fish-from-bridlington-trip-1-1007304

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31968 on: November 22, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:22:11 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31969 on: November 22, 2019, 03:34:23 PM »

Loved the Sweeney. Could only stay up late to watch it if i had been a good boy.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31970 on: November 22, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »

Loved the Sweeney. Could only stay up late to watch it if i had been a good boy.

It's on every day now, along with the Professionals and Minder.

All still worth a watch.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #31971 on: November 22, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »

All still worth a watch.

That bloke's poodle perm in the professionals does my head in - reminds me of that twerp in ELO too.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31972 on: November 22, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »

All still worth a watch.

That bloke's poodle perm in the professionals does my head in - reminds me of that twerp in ELO too.

I bet you looked like that when you were his age Ralph.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31973 on: November 25, 2019, 10:50:14 AM »

Say I need 2000 calories a day and I'm doing fine but someone buys me a 4000 calorie carrot cake.

Is it best to eat say, one 500 ish calorie slice of cake per day (Over and above my 2000 cal allowance) for the next 7 days or to eat the whole thing in one go making a 6000 cal binge on day one and go back to a healthy 2000 cals for the next 6 days?

Asking or a friend.

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #31974 on: November 25, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »

Share the cake, eat only one slice, do more exercise that day to burn the extra calories. Maybe go for a long walk with the friends you've made by sharing the cake.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31975 on: November 25, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »

Share the cake, eat only one slice, do more exercise that day to burn the extra calories. Maybe go for a long walk with the friends you've made by sharing the cake.

Thank you Adam.

My er.. friend doesn't want good advice, he wants an answer to the question he asked.

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #31976 on: November 25, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »

I presume it's a lot easier to adjust output and burn an extra 500 KCal a day, than burn an extra 4000 KCal in a day, so I would presume spreading the cake out would be less harmful for your 'friend'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31977 on: November 25, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »

I presume it's a lot easier to adjust output and burn an extra 500 KCal a day, than burn an extra 4000 KCal in a day, so I would presume spreading the cake out would be less harmful for your 'friend'

Hmmm....

See I would have thought the body could more easily process and store an extra 500 cals per day over 7 days than it could 4000 cals in one day.

Eaten in one day, I suspect that a goodly amount of the 4000 cals would pass through unused.

If your theory is right, then in a survival situation you would be better off eating all your food at once rather than rationing.

I have no idea of the facts, I'm just cogitating.

roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #31978 on: November 25, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »

Hmmm....

See I would have thought the body could more easily process and store an extra 500 cals per day over 7 days than it could 4000 cals in one day.

Eaten in one day, I suspect that a goodly amount of the 4000 cals would pass through unused.

If your theory is right, then in a survival situation you would be better off eating all your food at once rather than rationing.

I suggest you your "Friend" puts the cake in a shed at the bottom of the garden to  1) stop others eating it.... 2) keep it cool   & 3) and most importantly .. means that the will have to walk a few hundred yards to get a piece and would of basically burnt of the calories when you get there meaning you deserve that 4th piece in 3 hours.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31979 on: November 25, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »

Hmmm....

I suggest you your "Friend" puts the cake in a shed at the bottom of the garden to  1) stop others eating it.... 2) keep it cool   & 3) and most importantly .. means that the will have to walk a few hundred yards to get a piece and would of basically burnt of the calories when you get there meaning you deserve that 4th piece in 3 hours.

This is more good advice but not an answer to my friend's original question.

Basically, which will cause more weight gain, 500 extra calories per day for 7 days, or 4000 extra cals all at once?

Pages: 1 ... 2128 2129 2130 2131 [2132] 2133 2134 2135 2136 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: