blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2137 2138 2139 2140 [2141] 2142 2143 2144 2145 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587256 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32100 on: December 12, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »

I was and am a big fan of the late Clive James and since his recent death I've been re reading some of his stuff.

In summing up his own abilities he said, "All I can really do is turn a phrase until it catches the light".

He certainly could.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #32101 on: December 12, 2019, 07:41:36 AM »

I was and am a big fan of the late Clive James and since his recent death I've been re reading some of his stuff.

In summing up his own abilities he said, "All I can really do is turn a phrase until it catches the light".

He certainly could.

He certainly could.

If you only read one page of Unreliable Memoirs, it has to be this one...

https://gertloveday.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/clive-james-unreliable-memoirs/

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32102 on: December 12, 2019, 08:17:18 AM »

He certainly could.

Great choice, one of my favourites too Dave.

The only thing that grates slightly is the way his Billy-cart, bogey, trolley, soap-box, call it what you will is designed and ridden.

When my cronies and I were boys we were past-master trolley builders and racers and I can categorically state that you don't nail a cross piece to the chassis to rest your feet on as per Clive's photo.
You put your feet on the front axle crossmember to aid steering, and I'll race anyone who says different.

Something like this, only with much bigger, 'Silver Cross' pram type wheels.

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32103 on: December 12, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »

This is a great watch for people of a certain vintage. Dave, Ralph, kev, Tony etc.

I'm not sure about Doobs, Boo, Nirvana, Celtic, Ironside and the like, they may be a bit on the young side.

https://youtu.be/NUEMn2t6L24

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #32104 on: December 12, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »

He certainly could.

Great choice, one of my favourites too Dave.

The only thing that grates slightly is the way his Billy-cart, bogey, trolley, soap-box, call it what you will is designed and ridden.

When my cronies and I were boys we were past-master trolley builders and racers and I can categorically state that you don't nail a cross piece to the chassis to rest your feet on as per Clive's photo.
You put your feet on the front axle crossmember to aid steering, and I'll race anyone who says different.

Something like this, only with much bigger, 'Silver Cross' pram type wheels.

Click to see full-size image.

Orange box/crate or similar for the seat.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #32105 on: December 12, 2019, 09:12:11 AM »

This is a great watch for people of a certain vintage. Dave, Ralph, kev, Tony etc.

I'm not sure about Doobs, Boo, Nirvana, Celtic, Ironside and the like, they may be a bit on the young side.

I loved Clive James tremendous wit and raconteur.

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #32106 on: December 12, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »

He certainly could.

my favourite piece of his is 'Have you got a biro I can borrow?'.
A stunning declaration of love and a brilliant working of such an ordinary premise.

https://www.waterstones.com/blog/remembering-clive-james-have-you-got-a-biro-i-can-borrow

The best comedians promise to "make it funny", how ever mundane or extreme the situation. Clive James could "make it" anything you wanted from any premise, no matter how silly or mundane or or or.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32107 on: December 12, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »

BTW- The picture quality improves after a couple of mins.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32108 on: December 12, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »

Escape to the country.

Basically a TV prog about people who want to buy a house and retire to somewhere more rural than where they currently live.

Budgets typically range from £250k to £750k

How come they always choose the house that is like, 10% over budget?

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32109 on: December 12, 2019, 08:18:56 PM »

Escape to the country.

Basically a TV prog about people who want to buy a house and retire to somewhere more rural than where they currently live.

I'm always agog at the prices, (even more shocked at what my sister paid for a 2 bedroom flat in Brighton mind you).

If you really want a country house move to the country properly and you could have a small estate for what some of them have to spend.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32110 on: December 12, 2019, 08:26:53 PM »

Escape to the country.

I'm always agog at the prices, (even more shocked at what my sister paid for a 2 bedroom flat in Brighton mind you).

If you really want a country house move to the country properly and you could have a small estate for what some of them have to spend.

Nah.

They want a country house within a mile of the coast/shops/station.

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #32111 on: December 12, 2019, 09:07:37 PM »

He certainly could.

His writing after Diana died is beautiful

He pulls off a literary flourish that I didn't spot until it was pointed out to me. Takes a brace writer to try, and a.brilliant one to pull it.off without people noticing ave a read, it's wonderful writing, and very much in his voice

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/09/15/requiem-4/amp
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32112 on: December 12, 2019, 09:49:53 PM »

He certainly could.

His writing after Diana died is beautiful

He pulls off a literary flourish that I didn't spot until it was pointed out to me. Takes a brace writer to try, and a.brilliant one to pull it.off without people noticing ave a read, it's wonderful writing, and very much in his voice

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/09/15/requiem-4/amp

That's great Teddy, thanks for posting.

I've just been reading his 'Reports of my death' blog published in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/series/reports-of-my-death

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #32113 on: December 12, 2019, 10:12:37 PM »

Did you spot the trick he pulled off?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32114 on: December 13, 2019, 06:17:58 AM »

Did you spot the trick he pulled off?

No.
No I didn't.

Pages: 1 ... 2137 2138 2139 2140 [2141] 2142 2143 2144 2145 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: