blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2147 2148 2149 2150 [2151] 2152 2153 2154 2155 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3586903 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32250 on: December 27, 2019, 08:25:05 AM »

No man-flu, just a bad cold. Problem is being anaphlactic to antibiotics I need to be careful that it doesn't become a chest infection. There's only one tablet I can have (ie no rection so far) but generally me on antibiotics makes everyone nervous, so not powering through a cold is sensible for me, the hospitals struggle enough without having to find me a bed just so I can get drip fed different antibiotics.

I think everything from a snotty nose to pneumonia counts as man-flu Rod.

Being allergic to antibiotics is a bit of a bugger but tell me this, is it just your mouth that's allergic? Can you have the same drug intravenously that you react to orally?

The older I get, the better I was.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #32251 on: December 27, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »

Flu is a this time of year thing
now I’m 61 I’m on my second flu jab
I also eat 3-5 mini oranges a day for vitamin c ,a multi vitamin tablet and cod liver oil max strength to try n boost my immune system
A few glasses of port occ fortified with a shot of brandy to help me sleep - purely medicinal
Max strength cold n flu capsules merely delayed the symptoms,although lemsip with honey in was nice
Keep the diary going Tom please it’s a great read
Although we could do with an index to the top ten stories
Ratner the terrier story is my favourite btw
Thanks for them all though
Happy new year when it arrives
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32252 on: December 27, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »

I also eat 3-5 mini oranges a day for vitamin c ,a multi vitamin tablet and cod liver oil max strength to try n boost my immune system
A few glasses of port occ fortified with a shot of brandy to help me sleep - purely medicinal
Max strength cold n flu capsules merely delayed the symptoms,although lemsip with honey in was nice

You're the same age as me Tony.

I was going great guns, then I turned 60 and things started to hurt and several bits stopped working altogether.

I wish my diary had an index too. I was looking for a piece that I wrote about my dad and I couldn't find it.

Please keep your contributions coming. You and I are from the same era and obviously moved in similar circles.

Merry Christmas and all the best for the future.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32253 on: December 27, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »

I was going great guns, then I turned 60 and things started to hurt and several bits stopped working altogether.

I wish my diary had an index too. I was looking for a piece that I wrote about my dad and I couldn't find it.

Please keep your contributions coming. You and I are from the same era and obviously moved in similar circles.

Sorry for butting in Red but did you write the piece on your dad in the lounge? I seem to remember you did when he passed.

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32254 on: December 27, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »

The piece I was looking for would have been around 2009, is there a shortcut to that section?
As it is I can only start at the beginning or the end and move through a few pages at a time.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32255 on: December 27, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »

Sorry for butting in Red but did you write the piece on your dad in the lounge? I seem to remember you did when he passed.

I could have done but I'm almost sure it was in my diary.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32256 on: December 27, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »

I've done so much speculating about this story.

How can three apparently fit and healthy family members drown in a small pool at a busy resort?

My best theory is that none of them could swim, the 9yo accidentally got into the deep end and got into trouble, dad jumps in to save her but, finds himself drowning too, so the 16yo jumps in and they all go down clinging together.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50916415

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32257 on: December 27, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »

How can three apparently fit and healthy family members drown in a small pool at a busy resort?

My best theory is that none of them could swim, the 9yo accidentally got into the deep end and got into trouble, dad jumps in to save her but, finds himself drowning too, so the 16yo jumps in and they all go down clinging together.

Same here, & yes, I came to the same conclusion.

What an utter & horrific tragedy. Unimaginable.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32258 on: December 27, 2019, 11:59:30 AM »

Does anyone else have strange, 'after Christmas day' breakfasts?

Yesterday I fried two slices of roast beef and had them with eggs followed by two mince pies and creme fresh. (The creme fresh wasn't sweet enough so I added a little honey)

Today I toasted a crusty baguette that had become too chewy and had it with Lurpak butter, some liver pate and some pigs in blankets with a small apple pie and a few Cadbury's Heroes for dessert.  

All washed down with some proper tea though. I'm not completely uncouth.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #32259 on: December 27, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »

I can’t believe that a complex with 21 swimming pools doesn’t have lifeguards.
Or rather I can believe it, but can’t see how it is acceptable not to have a CCTV overview at the very least.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32260 on: December 27, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »

I can’t believe that a complex with 21 swimming pools doesn’t have lifeguards.
Or rather I can believe it, but can’t see how it is acceptable not to have a CCTV overview at the very least.

According to the news the pool was too small to require a lifeguard.

Don't get me wrong, it was indeed a terrible tragedy but we can't go around with the notion that it's always someone else's responsibility to look after us.

BTW I'm not arguing with you Dave, well I suppose I am, but not in a GreekStein way.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #32261 on: December 27, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »

Christmas pudding with cream. Every year.

Diet's going well thanks.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32262 on: December 27, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »

Haha. I told Mrs Red it couldn't just be me.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32263 on: December 27, 2019, 01:14:26 PM »

No man-flu, just a bad cold. Problem is being anaphlactic to antibiotics I need to be careful that it doesn't become a chest infection. There's only one tablet I can have (ie no rection so far) but generally me on antibiotics makes everyone nervous, so not powering through a cold is sensible for me, the hospitals struggle enough without having to find me a bed just so I can get drip fed different antibiotics.

I think everything from a snotty nose to pneumonia counts as man-flu Rod.

Being allergic to antibiotics is a bit of a bugger but tell me this, is it just your mouth that's allergic? Can you have the same drug intravenously that you react to orally?

No it's the antibiotic. Anything of the penicillin familly & a couple of others.

I've had 2 proper anaphylactic shocks. First New Years Day 3 years back, was recovering from pleurisy & felt a chest infection starting. Went to the hospital to get amoxicillin which I'd taken a couple of months before. Mum went with to visit a friend in the hospital. Waiting for her to come back I took the first tablets, by the time she came back I was dizzy, flushed, really feeling ill. Got her to go get a doctor (same one who gave me the tablets) he thought I'd a sudden drop in blood pressure, but it wasn't coming back up. Off down the corridor to A&E in a wheelchair, was there 5 minutes & I was on a trolley, surrounded by docs & nurses, last I remember before passing out was 'Adrenalin injection, quick!!' 'I'll go get one' 'No time use the emergency epipen!!' - having known a few anaphlactics I knew what was up - and though it might be my number. Woke up later feeling fine but they keep you in for a night.

If it had been a week later I was a gonner - I'd have got my prescription, taken the tablets at home, felt ill, went to bed, passed out & goodbye.

Just over a year later I got an infection in my elbow. Clarithromyacin was the only antibiotic tablet my doc would risk with me, but it's pretty useless at that type of infection. The infection was growing so I was sent to hospital. The doc I first saw there admitted he hadn'ty a clue what to give me, so called the bio-meds dept in Glasgow, they recommended Vancamyacin which is only given intravenously. 3 days of drips & it's not doing much, the infection isn't growing, but it isn't going down either. Another doc comes in and gives me a drip of Clindamycin, nearly the full bag in, another shock (another rarity - apparently no-one is allergic to clindamycin & you don't take a rection like that on a first dose of anything). This time the full face selling, struggling to breathe one. Epipens shoot a needle into your thigh, you don't feel it though, your system is going nuts. After that I was back on a really high Vancamycin dose, which worked.

I've since been for tests, found a couple that might have been OK, but my peak flow test dropped after a small dose & they stopped the tests. The doc actually brought groups through to show them test results, apparently to develop anaphlaxis so suddenly, and violently & to be allergic to some of the antibiotics I am is really rare.

So that's me - got 3 minorly effective antibiotics that I can risk. Spoke to the local ambulanceman & he's guaranteed that with 2 epipens (they relieve symptoms for about 30 minutes, but it's just a delay), they can get me either to the hospital (30 miles away), or to more emergeny epipens, he's been very reassuring that I'm covered. I don't gamble with cheese or bread that is getting a bit old in case pencillin develops, thankfully that's all that has set me off so far.

The worst of it is lying in hospital with a minorly swollen hand, or elbow, taking up a bed, when everone is so stretched. I suggest trying the borderline antibiotics while I'm there but apprenly that's not good medical practice. The docs and nurses say I'm in the right place & I'd rather not snuff it - but I still feel I'm putting an unnecessary burder on the NHS.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:19:56 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32264 on: December 27, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »

My Dad's was christmas pudding fried in brandy butter. Every Boxing Day without fail.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Pages: 1 ... 2147 2148 2149 2150 [2151] 2152 2153 2154 2155 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: