blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:36:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272588 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2200 2201 2202 2203 [2204] 2205 2206 2207 2208 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3605693 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33045 on: February 09, 2021, 01:37:54 PM »

And I wonder if they ever got that patent?

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33046 on: February 09, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33047 on: February 09, 2021, 02:37:58 PM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you. 

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

As a follow up, this fella features quite a bit in the film, and has just resigned. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/09/eddie-mcguire-collingwood-football-club-president-systemic-racism-report

I just checked and there is 5 months left on iplayer.  I previously said there were only a few days left, but it must have had 6 months left previously and not 6 months from the screening date.

I will check this out today Doobs although I have to admit, if it's a racism story I will struggle to watch it.

I used to consume that sort of thing alosg with all the other tough subjects, like cuelty, abuse, poverty, genocide etc, not because I liked it, but because I thought it was my duty to know and not turn a blind eye.

I'm finding it hard lately though, I suppose they just wore me down.

You don't have to watch it, but the end result is pretty positive, ending with the Aboriginal people in a better place.  They were treated horribly by most Australians for a very long time.  I guess Eddie McGuire wouldn't have resigned 3 years ago, so these films can make a difference.   It is likely still a long way to go for Aboriginal equality, but it has got a bit closer. 

I wouldn't be so worn down either, I am sure you have made a difference too.  You have definitely made me a bit more vocal on Gypsy rights, and I am sure you have changed the views of others here.  I am sure you must have changed some views of those in power too, even if it did sometimes feel like a box ticking exercise.   

I think Daniel Gordon, who made this documentary, lives in Sheffield.  Maybe there is a documentary in there for you both? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33048 on: February 09, 2021, 02:56:59 PM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you. 

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

As a follow up, this fella features quite a bit in the film, and has just resigned. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/09/eddie-mcguire-collingwood-football-club-president-systemic-racism-report

I just checked and there is 5 months left on iplayer.  I previously said there were only a few days left, but it must have had 6 months left previously and not 6 months from the screening date.

I will check this out today Doobs although I have to admit, if it's a racism story I will struggle to watch it.

I used to consume that sort of thing alosg with all the other tough subjects, like cuelty, abuse, poverty, genocide etc, not because I liked it, but because I thought it was my duty to know and not turn a blind eye.

I'm finding it hard lately though, I suppose they just wore me down.

You don't have to watch it, but the end result is pretty positive, ending with the Aboriginal people in a better place.  They were treated horribly by most Australians for a very long time.  I guess Eddie McGuire wouldn't have resigned 3 years ago, so these films can make a difference.   It is likely still a long way to go for Aboriginal equality, but it has got a bit closer. 

I wouldn't be so worn down either, I am sure you have made a difference too.  You have definitely made me a bit more vocal on Gypsy rights, and I am sure you have changed the views of others here.  I am sure you must have changed some views of those in power too, even if it did sometimes feel like a box ticking exercise.   

I think Daniel Gordon, who made this documentary, lives in Sheffield.  Maybe there is a documentary in there for you both? 

I have actually started watching it Doobs.

I will finish it, I'm invested now.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33049 on: February 09, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »

If anyone is keen to try eating off a knife BTW, make sure it's one with a broad flexible blade. There are plenty of lovely bone-handle, Sheffield steel examples on the car boot and they only cost a few coppers.

These are the ones to look for. Use them like a French croupier, with the right technique you can pick anything up, even gravy.

hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #33050 on: February 09, 2021, 04:29:36 PM »

Regarding the can opener picture. The pointy end is for opening party 7 beer cans and the other end is a bottle opener.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33051 on: February 09, 2021, 04:36:31 PM »

Regarding the can opener picture. The pointy end is for opening party 7 beer cans and the other end is a bottle opener.

A bottle opener!

Dang! Why didn't I know that?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33052 on: February 09, 2021, 05:55:30 PM »

In my youth it was deemed to be cool to have an oversized key ring which included keys, a penknife & all sorts, & it always included one of those "church" tin/bottle openers. Probably not quite so cool when you wanted to use it & it took several minutes to prise it off the key ring. A must-have accessory though. Must admit I'd clean forgotten they existed until this thread today.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33053 on: February 09, 2021, 05:57:44 PM »

A bottle opener!

Dang! Why didn't I know that?

Not just you that missed the obvious

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33054 on: February 09, 2021, 06:09:55 PM »

In my youth it was deemed to be cool to have an oversized key ring which included keys, a penknife & all sorts, & it always included one of those "church" tin/bottle openers. Probably not quite so cool when you wanted to use it & it took several minutes to prise it off the key ring. A must-have accessory though. Must admit I'd clean forgotten they existed until this thread today.   

In my youth it was cool to have a love-bead keep-sake collection swinging from your rear-view mirror.

I used to pick Mrs Red up in my Transit and take her to the dance along with several of her mates.

Every week the mates would each give me a string of beads as a thank you and pretty soon I had a huge bunch hanging from my mirror, all my mates were envious. Then someone nicked the lot, beads, mirror and all and that was the end of that.

Click to see full-size image.

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #33055 on: February 09, 2021, 09:14:06 PM »

Fray Bentos used to do a boil in the can steak and kidney pudding. I remember my granny used to occasionally do one for her dinner and she would always give me a taste on the end of a knife. (She ate off a flat bladed, flexible knife, a habit I picked up)

Obviously I took no real notice back then, but I can't remember her piercing it before boiling.

I tried to google it but it's difficult because it's been superseded by a modern version.

I had a friend who's go to meal was a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding with a tin of new potatoes and marrowfat peas and they kept a tin opener about 4 inches long and an inch wide and one end used to punch a triangle shaped hole in the tins which they said was especially for this job. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I saw one of these type of tin openers.

I remember those tin openers, I didn't know what the triangle was for until now though.

One of these?

Click to see full-size image.

Yes one of those!!! You could also get them with a different shaped bottle opener at the other end as it evolved.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #33056 on: February 09, 2021, 09:27:02 PM »

I've just remembered these. You can't see it on the picture but the cans were only about 1/3 normal size and contained enough for 3 slices of toast. Delicious.

I used to love the chicken and mushroom variety.

I occasionally yearn for something from the past that i remember my mum dishing up and over the last couple of years I've had a tin of Spam and some Dandelion and Burdock fizzy pop, a beef paste sarnie, a sherbert fountain and some parma violet sweets - although I've got them to make flavoured gin with.

I also remember Bolton Market having an egg stall with goose, duck, quail eggs etc and also baskets of double yoke hen eggs. I think they found them by holding them up to a bright light. Apparently it's younger hens that are more likely to lay them.

My mum always used to keep a Vesta chow mein with crispy noodles in the cupboard too!!

BTW Red, if you dry your trapped potatoes in kitchen towel before frying them, they don't spit as much.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:30:09 PM by Supernova » Logged

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #33057 on: February 09, 2021, 09:36:31 PM »

Fray Bentos used to do a boil in the can steak and kidney pudding. I remember my granny used to occasionally do one for her dinner and she would always give me a taste on the end of a knife. (She ate off a flat bladed, flexible knife, a habit I picked up)

Obviously I took no real notice back then, but I can't remember her piercing it before boiling.

I tried to google it but it's difficult because it's been superseded by a modern version.

I had a friend who's go to meal was a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding with a tin of new potatoes and marrowfat peas and they kept a tin opener about 4 inches long and an inch wide and one end used to punch a triangle shaped hole in the tins which they said was especially for this job. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I saw one of these type of tin openers.

We had a raffle at a football do, and one of the prizes was a meal for 2. It was drawn & I realised I'd left the box with the Fray Bentos Pie, tin of tatties, tin of peas, bottle of Tizer & 2 individual trifles in the car. By the time I'd got them, and we presented them to the lucky winner, he, (who naturally thought he'd won a free meal out), had phoned his wife to tell her. His face when I handed him the box was a picture, as was mine when his wife saw me on the Main Street & gave me a bollocking for getting her hopes up. Last joke raffle prize we did Cheesy.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33058 on: February 09, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »

OMG! I haven't had a beef paste barm cake for absolutely ages.

Did you ever have it "loose" in a paper from the butchers rather than "potted"?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33059 on: February 09, 2021, 09:40:55 PM »

We had a raffle at a football do, and one of the prizes was a meal for 2. It was drawn & I realised I'd left the box with the Fray Bentos Pie, tin of tatties, tin of peas, bottle of Tizer & 2 individual trifles in the car. By the time I'd got them, and we presented them to the lucky winner, he, (who naturally thought he'd won a free meal out), had phoned his wife to tell her. His face when I handed him the box was a picture, as was mine when his wife saw me on the Main Street & gave me a bollocking for getting her hopes up. Last joke raffle prize we did Cheesy.

Haha.

What a great story. I would have been chuffed with that prize.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:44:37 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 2200 2201 2202 2203 [2204] 2205 2206 2207 2208 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: