blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:27:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Squeeze play
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Squeeze play  (Read 50186 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »

The question was quite specific, & hinged on a key point - his 12 x BB stack, which was sub-average. So I answered it with that in mind. In fact, I ONLY answered it because that is the part of Tourney Poker I excel at, above most others. So it was a question I was in a better position - imo - to answer than most others, because short-stack play is my forte, & I'll take anyone on at short-stack Tourney play, anywhere, anytime, with great confidence, because that's what I do best.

I have played with you a fair bit and have read a lot of your hands over the years i think you short stack game is appalling bad, i don't know anyone who has played as long and as often as you yet still plays a short stack so bad.

What do you think is good about your short stack game? Remember the aim of the game is not to stay in as long as possible.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2008, 06:40:44 PM »

Hard to WIN MONEY,if you haven't hung around a tad - FACT

There is a big difference between hanging around and winning chips.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »

Oh and as to the original question...

Folding is 0EV
Flatting is +EV
Shoving is ++++EV

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2008, 06:44:16 PM »

[X] most poker players think they play a great shortstack

[ ] most poker players crush high stakes SNGs

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2008, 07:41:35 PM »

Well the answer to all of James replies is much the same.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't win a Tourney from the Rail.

Or, to be less ironic, I actually take Tournaments in little stages, aiming at a certain, achievable, target, then re-targetting, one step at a time.

Hanging round v winning chips? You have to do one before you can do the other.

The aim of the game is not to just stay in? Well, if you plan to win, or even cash, you need to stay in.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »

This is like the whole 2012 discussion, we will never agree.

You are stuck with these beliefs and no matter how many people far more knowledgeable than you about the subject tell you otherwise you will still believe in Nostradamus playing to survive rather than win money.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »

I'm shoving here. The fact their stacks are large means they're more likely to be limping with marginal, but very foldable hands. Along with the blinds, antes and the cracking fold equity, this is a perfect spot to push your strack in. You're likely to pick up lots of dead money without having to risk an all-in showdown. To be honest, I'd probably shove with any two.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2008, 07:56:23 PM »

Just to change the debate a little, what would everyone do with 33 here in exactly the same scenario, except you're:

1.  UTG
2.  In middle position

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »

Or, to be less ironic, I actually take Tournaments in little stages, aiming at a certain, achievable, target, then re-targetting, one step at a time.

The aim of the game is not to just stay in? Well, if you plan to win, or even cash, you need to stay in.

Poker is often about pressure. The problem with this thinking is that you can be pressured a lot of the time by people who don't place the same emphasis on survival. This is ok if you get hands. It can work at full tables when the opportunities to use other skills will be plentiful. But take that attitude to short-handed poker or short-stack play and it's tough because the opportunities and the hands are rare. Aggression is the key in both scenarios imo.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »

This is like the whole 2012 discussion, we will never agree.

You are stuck with these beliefs and no matter how many people far more knowledgeable than you about the subject tell you otherwise you will still believe in Nostradamus playing to survive rather than win money.

Yup, it's unlikely we'll agree on this. We'll both get by though.

As a curiosity, would you care to explain your criteria for "far more knowledgeable"?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »

Just to change the debate a little, what would everyone do with 33 here in exactly the same scenario, except you're:

1.  UTG
2.  In middle position

UTG. Bin.

Middle (unopened) - shove.

Not one person has mentioned "position" in this Thread. Well, just the one.......

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2008, 08:04:06 PM »

Poker is often about pressure. The problem with this thinking is that you can be pressured a lot of the time by people who don't place the same emphasis on survival. This is ok if you get hands. It can work at full tables when the opportunities to use other skills will be plentiful. But take that attitude to short-handed poker or short-stack play and it's tough because the opportunities and the hands are rare. Aggression is the key in both scenarios imo.

No, I don't get pressured, ever. You forget one thing. I play with my own money, always, so I play the game on my terms. And my default setting is to act, not react, be proactive, not reactive. So I'm far more likely to shove in Position with ATC, then to react with 3-3 in THE worst spot on the Table.

What happened to positional sense, & play? Does everyone ignore it now?

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »

Was pretty much typing in the same as Tikay, just not hitting reply in time

With regards to position, by shoving all in preflop, don't you to a certain extent negate all effects of position?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2008, 08:06:38 PM »

Was pretty much typing in the same as Tikay, just not hitting reply in time

With regards to position, by shoving all in preflop, don't you to a certain extent negate all effects of position?

Yes - but, as you correctly say, "only to a certain extent".

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »

1.  UTG
2.  In middle position

UTG. Bin.

Middle (unopened) - shove.

Not one person has mentioned "position" in this Thread. Well, just the one.......

Seriously. What The Fuck?

YOu want to shove unopened from MP to get through 4 ppl + but when there is two limpers from LP (dead money 90% of the time), you want to pass. Position is irrelavant, you arent playing flops ffs.

HI HELEN!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: