blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:58:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1421735 times)
DUNK619

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: May 26, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »

congratulations on your super use of the word super.Cant recall anyone using it better
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 26, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

wow terrible downswing over last couple days.

Lost aa v kq for 150bbs, aa v kk for 200ish bbs vs the same guy. Lots of other standard hands that I won't bore you with. Games on Saturday afternoon are absolutely barmy.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 29, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »

amazing

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/62/bbv4life/when-you-gonna-let-me-tap-546479/

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 30, 2012, 06:05:37 AM »

Just realised the fact that I recognised the thread from the title is probably a reason poker is so hard. Solid thread tho

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 30, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »

late for work now... lol tho

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 30, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »

Cheesy

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 30, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

Hey BITB!!

How is the stable going that u set up?

as per the Q you asked in my diary which I batted back at you but you must have missed it

Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs time?

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »

oioi mate, sorry for not replying in your thread, did see you reply and must have just forgot to reply or thought I had done, apologies Smiley

@ The stable - It's gone quite poorly to be honest. It's together with a friend and it has been alot less successful than we had imagined. Players either performing less than we had originally hoped for or players not playing as much as they had promised before we sent them money. As a knock on effect our motivation has decreased from it. We're now in a position where we have some really good guys but not many. This will be good for them and us, we will try to push these guys on as hard and much as possible. If they don't work then we will GG it I guess.

Staking really does take up alot of time and energy, it is usually going to be -ev but sometimes you get somebody who is golden. For example, in his first week at 100nl I think Callum one of our old horses made 10k+. You really just want one to blossom and move up and up till they are crushing 200nl+. John Black are you out there?!

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: May 30, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »

Reagrding where do I see myself being in 5 years time I think there will be 3 options.

1) Carry on in the poker industry I think I'm one of the most knowledgable guys in the industry about poker. Not how to bet/fold/call/raise, but what is needed for the industry to survive, to flourish and to improve. I have many many thoughts about how poker rooms, networks, affiliates and players should strive to improve and really want to make a big difference. I envisage that I will most likely carry on working in this industry. I currently work for one of the biggest gaming companies in the world in a nice country with great weather and have a great family, I would love all of the above to continuing to develop and improve and think that either in this company or somewhere else I have the potential to move up to very senior positions and #makeadifference

2) Play poker full time I currently really enjoy the game and think I am continuing to improve on a monthly basis. I understand which parts of my game need developing and improving. Alot of people say that the downs alot are alot worse than the ups are good. This is definitely not true for me, I hate losing ofc, but I absolutely love winning Cheesy I think I have the potential to play full time and have the attitude and desire to make it a good decision. I think that if I decide to play full time I will play cash for 3 months and then go to Vegas. This is onyl really viable once the American legislation goes through.

3) Entrepreneur I believe I have a good business mindset, I try to learn about business as much as possible and have lots of good ideas and like to hear other peoples good ideas. In 2013 I hope I am in a position where I can financially afford to invest in different start up companies, preferably none poker so that it doesn't have conflicts of interest with PokerStrategy.com

When I'm 35 I think I would look back at all three of these options and be proud. Hopefully I can be successful in one of them and I think having different options is really good.

If I aksed myself 2 years ago where I'd be in 5 years I think I would have had a very different answer..

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1674 on: May 30, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

Reagrding where do I see myself being in 5 years time I think there will be 3 options.

1) Carry on in the poker industry I think I'm one of the most knowledgable guys in the industry about poker. Not how to bet/fold/call/raise, but what is needed for the industry to survive, to flourish and to improve. I have many many thoughts about how poker rooms, networks, affiliates and players should strive to improve and really want to make a big difference. I envisage that I will most likely carry on working in this industry. I currently work for one of the biggest gaming companies in the world in a nice country with great weather and have a great family, I would love all of the above to continuing to develop and improve and think that either in this company or somewhere else I have the potential to move up to very senior positions and #makeadifference

2) Play poker full time I currently really enjoy the game and think I am continuing to improve on a monthly basis. I understand which parts of my game need developing and improving. Alot of people say that the downs alot are alot worse than the ups are good. This is definitely not true for me, I hate losing ofc, but I absolutely love winning Cheesy I think I have the potential to play full time and have the attitude and desire to make it a good decision. I think that if I decide to play full time I will play cash for 3 months and then go to Vegas. This is onyl really viable once the American legislation goes through.

3) Entrepreneur I believe I have a good business mindset, I try to learn about business as much as possible and have lots of good ideas and like to hear other peoples good ideas. In 2013 I hope I am in a position where I can financially afford to invest in different start up companies, preferably none poker so that it doesn't have conflicts of interest with PokerStrategy.com

When I'm 35 I think I would look back at all three of these options and be proud. Hopefully I can be successful in one of them and I think having different options is really good.

If I aksed myself 2 years ago where I'd be in 5 years I think I would have had a very different answer..

1 >>> 2

Ask Dominik if he regrets not playing more poker online
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: May 30, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »

Yeh I agree, they are basically in order of both whats most likely to happen and what I would prefer to happen. Although ofc 3 >1 if I can find the next Facebook. I watched Social Network a few nights ago btw, definitely recommend.

At this time I was just graduating from university. I had graduated in Journalism, I enjoyed writing and was mostly passionate about writing about politics, law and sport. I would regularly go to Brammal (spell-check Cheesy)l Lane and write  a match report of just write reports from my University games. I often wouldn't even send them to magazines/newspapers and genuinely enjoyed writing about things I was passionate in. I write a lot on Blonde and I write very quickly and don't spell-check/reread etc but when I take time to write I write very differently and really enjoy it. It's very relaxing for me and kind of helps keep my mind off things.

So of course poker was still my passion and I continued to look into areas on how I could get involved. My dissertation was seperated into two parts, a) A boring essay that I spent a decent amount of time on and got a great mark. and b) A poker magazine which I spend absolutely ages on and got a shit mark. I had managed to get the top top worldwide poker players and people in the industry to contribute, I spent ages making sure the writing was better than Jesse May's and I had spent a ridiculous amount of time on the design which was something I had always struggled with.

The tutor who marked it didn't appreciate the time spent or the quality of all the research/writing. For those who did a business magazine I basically had their version of Alan Sugar and Mark Zuckerburg (sp) was pretty tilted but meh..

So around 3 months later I email Barry Carter about working in poker journalism. He told me that PokerPlayer were looking for a new staff member. As expected many many people want to be poker journalists and thus there was a lot of interest.  I was really excited about the interview as going down to London on the train in a suit and going to a big company whose magazines you had bought every month for 2 years is obviously great.

The first interview was good, I can't remember much, but I remember the guys making a great impression on me and 1 hour later I was going back to Newcastle on the train. I can't remember exactly when this was but I think Man United had just beat Roma 5-1 or something.

Surprisingly I heard back from PokerPlayer and they invited me down for a second interview. In this we had to plan write an article which I think remembering back now was related to PKR. I wrote a really good piece that I had went over and over to make sure it was perfect.  I was either playing Football Manager or playing poker on the PC on the side whilst doing this article. No idea what happened but kaboom and the Laptop is absolutely GG'd. I had like 45 minutes to send this article in and had to do it from scratch on my Dad's old monitor which didn't have word and thus send a really bad article iin a really tilting format to Paul Cheung who must have thought I was an absolute clown.

I had planned moving to London, I loved the hustle and bustle of the streets, people in suits, pretentious people walking about looking down at you. I just found it all so fascinating.

They replied that another guy had eventually got the job and I was quite devastated, they asked me to do some freelance stuff and I did a few articles. One was about Aspers Newcastle and the other was an interview I did with Jack Ellwood just after he had won basically everything in a 12 month period.. We went to a Weatherpersons in Newcastle and it ended up being a pretty nice piece Smiley

Around this time I started working for a financial advisor in Newcastle. I was in charge of social media and all things "networky" I really enjoyed the business aspect of the company and spent alot of time persuading the boss to allow me to do more hands on things. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to convince a 60 year old guy that he should invest all of his retirement money into a company that was basically being represented by a 22 year old guy wearing a Barbour and a stripey tie. Anyway I eventually was approached by PS and moved to Gib.

Since I moved to Gib I stopped writing as much as a lot of my job contains writing. Very different writing such as whitepapers and reports that are more formal than fancy. I'm really really happy to be working in the poker industry and think I would have found my way here some way or another but I think I could have been extremely happy working in London for the best poker magazine in the UK.

Looking back at ^^^^ makes me smile a lot. I really remember all of it so well.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 30, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »

#issues

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 30, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »

Funny picture by Matchbook.. wtf is Jungleman doing? Cheesy

Click to see full-size image.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 30, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »

Cheesy

that's not rooney's twitter

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 30, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »

haha yeh someone sent it to me and found it really funny.

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: