blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:19:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 1312 1313 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2559707 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19620 on: February 22, 2023, 10:37:33 PM »

Hope it goes well Alex, I'll try & tune in later.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19621 on: February 23, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »

Just saw one of my most favourite poker hands ever. I won't spoil it in case Alex wants to talk us through it. (The one you nearly threw away on the flop)

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #19622 on: February 23, 2023, 10:04:42 AM »

Saw the cumulative results but havent had chance to watch the full stream yet.

Gotta ask though, given how the game played and your vpip at the end being the lowest at the table, is this gonna effect you being in these games in the future like some muppets were saying in the stream comments, or are you still good to crush? I imagine this was a one off for you as you know about giving action Smiley
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19623 on: February 23, 2023, 01:57:53 PM »

Funny old game. You study hard, prepare well, get yourself in good games, good spots, play your best and lose.

Then you play badly in a bad game and win. Nuts Cheesy

Real tough night, results aside. Was super card dead most of the night. Then when I did get a hand, the action often meant I should probably fold it, but I felt the pressure because of the stream, the vpip counter, the chat pros, the producer, the needling from the players etc. I messed up a few spots for sure.

I had 17% VPIP (I probably usually get 25-35%) and that was with 3betting J3s, K8s, squeezing T7s, 4betting A6s, 5betting AJs, 5betting AQo. It's about 125 hands of poker. Nonsense sample size. [ ] Chat pros get it.

@KarmaDope yes it may affect future invites. I dunno. It's really tough. The invites get less and less the more they figure out you're a good player. But maybe I played badly enough in the hands that I did play that they might overlook the vpip counter!

It's really tough to play super crazy in a big game, when you fly all this way for 3 weeks, and only get to play 1-3 times for 5 hours each. I wish I could play like some of the other pros that were there, that get to play all year round, super comfortable with the stakes. But when any large pot has a large bearing on how my trip goes, and I am planning 4 trips a year, it's not conducive to playing good poker - at least it wasn't last night. I made two really tight folds in the last half an hour to book the win, which isn't like me, but I've been on such a horrendous run it got to me.

And when I do that, I know it's bad, and you see all the comments in the chat, it's not nice. Nights like that actually make me question whether I'll ever feel at home in a high stakes environment.

I'll go easy on myself and cheer up - like I said, plenty of good play poor results lately, so will take it on the chin and move on. Will be playing 10/20/40 in the commerce every day unless I get another stream invite. And also playing the LAPC and the odd side event maybe. Should I do a staking thread on blonde for old times sake?! Would like to give lots of people small sweats.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #19624 on: February 23, 2023, 03:32:55 PM »

Hopefully it doesn't affect future invites, and chat pros know the grand total of feck all. Them and people like Persson aren't helping the high stakes scene, why would people want to even try and play in these games? Much rather play lower games where any old Joe Public can turn up and not get as much abuse from unsavoury characters like Persson and Airball, who are clearly compensating for something

GL in the Commerce and don't let the skint beggars on the rail get to you!
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19625 on: February 23, 2023, 03:54:14 PM »

Just saw one of my most favourite poker hands ever. I won't spoil it in case Alex wants to talk us through it. (The one you nearly threw away on the flop)

<3 Sweet revenge for the bad beats he's put on me last few times Cheesy What a runout (AJcc aip vs KK, K74 no club, T, Q)

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19626 on: February 23, 2023, 04:19:29 PM »

Sample size can lead to all sorts of nonsense adjustments. I'm guilty of this for sure. I'll make big deviations from GTO based on a tiny sample. Not with regs so much, but I'll use my biases and experience to quickly label recs based on very few hands. Two walks in two orbits? Nit. 3bet me twice in a row? Nutter.

This can easily backfire, and can also lead to wrong adjustments. Here's a situation from the Commerce yesterday.

The only hand I saw this guy showdown was check calling a river bet in a smallish pot with a backdoorflush, beating the top pair the other player was value betting. I'd only seen the river action, but as a general rule, you don't need to know the rest of the action, if your opponent can be reasonably betting one pair for value, then a backdoor flush should be raised for value.

So what do I summise? This player is overly cautious, tight, perhaps scared money. This player is incapable of making standard value raises. These two statements sound like they go hand in hand. Easy adjustment - I'll fold a lot vs aggression from him. Right?

Well, maybe not.

I did this, had a hand very high up in my range, though absolutely only a bluff catcher, and folded quickly. The board was J95AK with no flush draw and I had AQ. One of his cards flipped as he mucked and it was a 7.

So maybe our read should've been "Incapable of making standard value raises, so could be inbalanced and overbluffing when he does raise" and until we had more information about his bluffing tendancies, don't adjust by overfolding. You can make money off his leak, but it could be by overcalling, and it could be by overfolding, we don't know yet. Or if he just doesn't checkraise enough period, then we make money by being able to valuebet thinner.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19627 on: February 23, 2023, 08:55:29 PM »

Another great write up, thanks Alex. This is poker at a different level to anything I've ever known.

"Should I do a staking thread on blonde for old times sake?! Would like to give lots of people small sweats."

Yes, I think you should. I'd definitely be interested if it was within my budget.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 08:11:27 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #19628 on: February 25, 2023, 06:03:58 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

Only 29 runners, $1200 buyin. But I haven't had THAT feeling, since 2015. And how about that trophy eh?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19629 on: February 25, 2023, 08:13:03 AM »

Congrats Alex, & yes, what a cracking trophy. What is the significance of the chap on the bucking horse?

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19630 on: February 25, 2023, 09:28:00 AM »

oi oi , nice win Alex

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #19631 on: February 25, 2023, 11:54:12 AM »

Well done, that trophy looks amazng

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19632 on: February 25, 2023, 03:20:43 PM »

Well played, mate!

+1 on the trophy Grin

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #19633 on: February 26, 2023, 09:54:37 AM »

Congrats Alex, trophy looks epic!
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #19634 on: February 26, 2023, 10:16:35 AM »

Nice one Alex - amazing rodeo trophy.

It must be weird seeing snow in LA.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 10:21:03 AM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 1312 1313 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: