blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 488235 times)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: December 03, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »

the difference, compared to the prior generations, being the financial disparity top six v the rest now v then and Man U's transfer and wage spending correlating to a far higher position than 7th, were the league table to equate to spend

But looking at the current league alone is misleading; Manchester United have performed at least as well as Liverpool and Spurs in the Champion's League.   They outperformed them both in last year's Premier League too. 

You could probably make a decent case that they are performing in line with their spend since the beginning of last season.  It could be just City are outliers and Mourinho isn't nearly as popular with neutrals/press as Klopp, hence every bad result is magnified. It feels like a lot of this could be just short term variance.   

This is a level doobs right?  I will bite.  Everyone knows manure should have comfortably finished 6th last year in the epl on all known data and it wasn't even close.

Opta stats and xG don’t count in the real world though.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: December 04, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »

i can't find the table now but there is a very high correlation for 3 seasons in the PL between squad wage spend and league position, R-squared in the 70-80% region

obviously Man U are currently spoiling that

i did get these back off my bookmarks though...

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: December 04, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »

Interesting CIES Football review of Big 5 transfers 2010-18

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr37/en/

Seven big clubs in Europe have each spent €1bn+ gross in that time.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 04, 2018, 11:45:00 AM »

Most expensively assembled (current) squads in Europe's Big 5 leagues, from CIES Football

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2018/233/en/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: December 04, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »

And so to the Premier League, where the division-wide riches are so extraordinary and by and large you see wage bill more or less equals league position +/- a few spots

Man U highest wage bill in the division and obviously miles away from the top 3 (in squad quality?)

i would say its a strategic thing not just a short term blip in form

Woodward and co don't gel with Mourinho and co to build a squad worthy of the wage bill and transfer fees

https://www.globalsportssalaries.com/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:48:10 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 04, 2018, 11:53:05 AM »

And so to the Premier League, where the division-wide riches are so extraordinary and by and large you see wage bill more or less equals league position +/- a few spots

Man U highest wage bill in the division and obviously miles away from the top 3 (in squad quality?)

Woodward and co don't gel with Mourinho and co to build a squad worthy of the wage bill and transfer fees

If that graph is correct, quite amazing that Man U's wage bill is some 10% higher than the City wage bill.

Most neutral observers would surely suggest the City squad is a much better squad.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 04, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »

If that graph is correct, quite amazing that Man U's wage bill is some 10% higher than the City wage bill.

Most neutral observers would surely suggest the City squad is a much better squad.

You don’t have to be neutral to acknowledge that the City squad is outperforming us. Pep is the better manager at the moment and it’s hard to argue against the thought that the City coaching staff are better too.

Woodward deserves a lot of the blame for the current situation, but he’s not alone. Mourinho was never the right choice, but given that he was given the job it is falling to see him declaring time and again that everyone needs to change but him.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: December 04, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »

In gambling terms when buying players and paying wages Manure keep backing even money shots at 4/11 and Man City keep backing 11/4 shots at evens.  It's no wonder why the teams are where they are in the league.  One is hopeless at finding value and chasing losses and the other one plans well, does their research and doesn't overpay for talent.  It also helps when you have pep as manager to 'underpay' relative to the talent you are buying and you are gtd trophies every season.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 04, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »

In gambling terms when buying players and paying wages Manchester United F C keep backing even money shots at 4/11 and Man City keep backing 11/4 shots at evens.  It's no wonder why the teams are where they are in the league.  One is hopeless at finding value and chasing losses and the other one plans well, does their research and doesn't overpay for talent.  It also helps when you have pep as manager to 'underpay' relative to the talent you are buying and you are gtd trophies every season.

fyp

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: December 04, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »

What was the banner at O/T the other year?

'Your players make money, our players make history'

Best Bitter.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: December 05, 2018, 10:58:37 PM »

Great show on the previous mid table man U side of the 1970s on BT sport now until midnight.
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: December 09, 2018, 01:58:25 AM »

Have Jose / Abramovich learnt from Rafa and Liverpool?

Click to see full-size image.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:02:00 AM by youthnkzR » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: December 09, 2018, 02:32:29 AM »

They are definitely top 10 ever managers and top 25 ever players in EPL.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: December 09, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »

Matic top 25 ever?! Miss a 0 off that?!

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: December 09, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »

Matic top 25 ever?! Miss a 0 off that?!

I guess top 100 feels ~right. It’s a pretty awful post though and I’m glad you criticised it. A bad evening for the ban on excess booze.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: