blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  An Ape and a notebook, how long will it take?
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 ... 253 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Ape and a notebook, how long will it take?  (Read 478921 times)
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3675 on: July 28, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »

really enjoying reading the diary John found it very helpful to me to see someone playing at these stakes i will be playing at 25nl 6 max when i start playing seriously in September in Nottingham what problems have you found playing these limits?
what site do you play on now? (only up to page 45 Tongue )
Has the staking deal minus the coaching helped you? or did this put pressure on you?

apologies for taking so long.. I've not been updating as I've been up to all sorts.  Much of it life stuff.....

Life will continue here, soon!

Highlights have been:
- wedding of gf's sister
- drunken nights out with colleagues
- holiday in cyprus, including Aiya Nappa weekend
- new bicycle

#withpicx

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »

really enjoying reading the diary John found it very helpful to me to see someone playing at these stakes i will be playing at 25nl 6 max when i start playing seriously in September in Nottingham what problems have you found playing these limits?
Has the staking deal minus the coaching helped you? or did this put pressure on you?

(All done on a phone, chilling in a bath... so sort your act out pilonope)

hi, sorry for the ridiculous delay but I've been pretty busy putting a certain lady first in most things recently...

Enjoying life, trying to sort out a bicycle on a cycle2work scheme, attending some social events with the friends non - poker that I haven't completely estranged and working out how to rebuild in a way that will help secure I never go 'pokerbusto' again.

In answer to your questions above Polarization -
● I found the biggest losing plays at this level were ones that involved certain lines taken by the regs or the fish (different for each) that generally indicated strength and either I didn't 'listen'; or I had a 'blocker' or similar and I tried to win a hand that at best will only ever win a small amount even if it is +ev.
THESE ARE NOT THE STAKES TO CARVE OUT MINUTE EDGES

● I also found that there were times when I could be completely unbalanced and so so few people either noticed - or did anything about it if they did.

● I agree with comments from early in this blog from Pleno, TK, Tighty, Alex, Honeybadger, Lil'D and so many more.
THIS STAKE IS ABOUT LEARNING WHEN TO VALUEBET (they don't bluff raise enough - fact) AND WHEN TO FOLD.

● A slightly awkward one is the staking... at the time I thought it was a fantastic thing for me.  I thought it would solve my problems and that with Patricks coaching I would be at 100nl in no time.  I hope Pat doesn't mind me putting this here, if he does ill happily remove it (would message to ask him but he is notoriously poor at responding to pm's - mine at least).

The deal with Pat was to ensure x amount of coaching from him for x amount of hands from me.
I never once received him keeping his word on the coaching side and almost immediately after we began I realised that I was more of a punt to him than an investment.
I think I only once failed to put in my required hands/month, even when I did travel with my work.  I grinded 10nl as instructed despite so many poker people saying they thought it was insane.  

And I needed it!!!

I needed to learn a little humility, to better understand the grander sense of the 'game' and I needed to realise that trying to bluff people off a pair is generally a bad idea - the ones who can fold will try and bluff back sometimes as well.

Pat is a great guy to chat to when you can get hold of him... but he is somewhat like a genius level hare, covered in grease and given some very big mushroomz......
He's so busy doing so many things - being a bf, working a 50hr week, playing midstakes, coaching 3 or 4 or 5 different groups of players, posting on goodness knows how many forums....
And fairly and justifiably so - getting John Black through 10nl just wasnt priority number 1.  #shock,horror!

When I did get hold of him though, and when we had group sessions (worked better than youd think) he was so knowledgeable, thinking different to so many others, respecting the stakes and adjusting accordingly... I remember seeing so many people say "its 10nl/25nl theyre idiots, just stack off... we're definitely good here enough".   But because of his PS.com role he was just more aware and willing to accept that they do think... just not like you.

The gems I picked up, applied correctly (nothing worse than taking a new hammer and trying to pick your nose with it) went well and I became less and less of a losing player.  Eventually I became a slight winner....

I think in retrospect one of the key things to any deal is great and honest communication...
I know he didn't ever shrug me off deliberately, just because he fancied going for a walk.. he did however misunderstand how I would factor into the rest of his schedule #sosuehim.  
Would I work with him again? YES, but I might be more careful... however I think id be more careful with anyone.

Did the stake make money overall? No.
Did I work my nutts off trying? YES.
Am I a better player because of him? YES.

- final point... did it put pressure on me? Hmmmmm... I dont think so, I think like many poker players I have a little bit of a disconnect between live poker and online poker.
#computergameinnit
#justnumberz

However, I don't think I ever mashed in some money without thinking I could/ would/ should be +ev.

Only one coming to mind is 4bt/calling 4 high figuring that I have to call $4 into 14 or something and if he puts in the big broadways we probably have to go with it.  The biggest mistake in the hand isnt the call imo, its the aggression with a poor hand in the first place.

hope this helps......

next - stuff..............
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:36:15 PM by jgcblack » Logged

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: August 07, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »

You're welcome...

clue - gets interesting from 08.00

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: August 07, 2013, 06:25:40 AM »

You're welcome...

clue - gets interesting from 08.00

What is this??
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3679 on: August 07, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »

If I was on holiday and went on a night out and my mate filmed a 20 minute video (probably more if its edited), I'd pretty much never speak to him again.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »

Could have edited it down a bit John, but deece dance off tekkers by the girls <3

If I had a mate who was that bothered about one of the lads filming something like that, I probably wouldn't be losing any sleep if he didn't speak to me again  Tongue

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »

If I was a bloke and in that sort of environment with that much clunge on offer I wouldn't be making videos for 20 minutes hahaha
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: August 07, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »

If I was a bloke and in that sort of environment with that much clunge on offer I wouldn't be making videos for 20 minutes hahaha

I had so much time just jumping around and dancing like an idiot, most of these were done in the 'inbetween' bits when I was trying not to heave from all the drink and catch my breath from my super cool dancing!

We were there for hours and hours... this is just a little bit of fun, and who wouldn't video the girly dance off!?

Just bought Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 for £35 to help with gf's sisters wedding video and its absolutely lush, even as a first time user.  So easy and so simple.  I'm just like a kid wondering around in a toy store of gadgets, widgets and options.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: August 07, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »

Looks like a poor mans chad hogan bash.

You still playing poker?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »

I had so much time just jumping around and dancing like an idiot, most of these were done in the 'inbetween' bits when I was trying not to heave from all the drink and catch my breath from my super cool dancing!

We were there for hours and hours... this is just a little bit of fun, and who wouldn't video the girly dance off!?

Just bought Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 for £35 to help with gf's sisters wedding video and its absolutely lush, even as a first time user.  So easy and so simple.  I'm just like a kid wondering around in a toy store of gadgets, widgets and options.

Your efforts didn't go unappreciated sir   thumbs up

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: August 07, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »

Your efforts didn't go unappreciated sir   thumbs up

Didn't have it when I edited the video above...

That was done using a free video editor called Avidemux - really nice.

Looks like a poor mans chad hogan bash.

You still playing poker?

I am, but going along with some life stuff keeping me away for a bit... I'm also a little under it and having not been away with work means a lack of overtime and extra cash.  I'm rebuilding and taking it slowly to try and make sure the foundations are more stable in the future.
I know I can make money in the smaller tournaments around the UK (<£500) but I don't have the money to play them right now... so a few satellites here and there, and some cash hand work will help me continue to improve.

I'm cycling into work a few times a week on my new Giant Defy 3 bicycle, which is a good 11.2 miles.... that's already working my system pretty hard and I'm feeling fitter already as a result.  Keep doing that a little more and I'll be back to my healthiest, fittest and best behaved for a long time.

#slowlyupbutup

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: August 08, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »

Jgcb in the house! Cheesy

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
polerization

View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: August 09, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »

(All done on a phone, chilling in a bath... so sort your act out pilonope)

hi, sorry for the ridiculous delay but I've been pretty busy putting a certain lady first in most things recently...

Enjoying life, trying to sort out a bicycle on a cycle2work scheme, attending some social events with the friends non - poker that I haven't completely estranged and working out how to rebuild in a way that will help secure I never go 'pokerbusto' again.

In answer to your questions above Polarization -
● I found the biggest losing plays at this level were ones that involved certain lines taken by the regs or the fish (different for each) that generally indicated strength and either I didn't 'listen'; or I had a 'blocker' or similar and I tried to win a hand that at best will only ever win a small amount even if it is +ev.
THESE ARE NOT THE STAKES TO CARVE OUT MINUTE EDGES

● I also found that there were times when I could be completely unbalanced and so so few people either noticed - or did anything about it if they did.

● I agree with comments from early in this blog from Pleno, TK, Tighty, Alex, Honeybadger, Lil'D and so many more.
THIS STAKE IS ABOUT LEARNING WHEN TO VALUEBET (they don't bluff raise enough - fact) AND WHEN TO FOLD.

● A slightly awkward one is the staking... at the time I thought it was a fantastic thing for me.  I thought it would solve my problems and that with Patricks coaching I would be at 100nl in no time.  I hope Pat doesn't mind me putting this here, if he does ill happily remove it (would message to ask him but he is notoriously poor at responding to pm's - mine at least).

The deal with Pat was to ensure x amount of coaching from him for x amount of hands from me.
I never once received him keeping his word on the coaching side and almost immediately after we began I realised that I was more of a punt to him than an investment.
I think I only once failed to put in my required hands/month, even when I did travel with my work.  I grinded 10nl as instructed despite so many poker people saying they thought it was insane.  

And I needed it!!!

I needed to learn a little humility, to better understand the grander sense of the 'game' and I needed to realise that trying to bluff people off a pair is generally a bad idea - the ones who can fold will try and bluff back sometimes as well.

Pat is a great guy to chat to when you can get hold of him... but he is somewhat like a genius level hare, covered in grease and given some very big mushroomz......
He's so busy doing so many things - being a bf, working a 50hr week, playing midstakes, coaching 3 or 4 or 5 different groups of players, posting on goodness knows how many forums....
And fairly and justifiably so - getting John Black through 10nl just wasnt priority number 1.  #shock,horror!

When I did get hold of him though, and when we had group sessions (worked better than youd think) he was so knowledgeable, thinking different to so many others, respecting the stakes and adjusting accordingly... I remember seeing so many people say "its 10nl/25nl theyre idiots, just stack off... we're definitely good here enough".   But because of his PS.com role he was just more aware and willing to accept that they do think... just not like you.

The gems I picked up, applied correctly (nothing worse than taking a new hammer and trying to pick your nose with it) went well and I became less and less of a losing player.  Eventually I became a slight winner....

I think in retrospect one of the key things to any deal is great and honest communication...
I know he didn't ever shrug me off deliberately, just because he fancied going for a walk.. he did however misunderstand how I would factor into the rest of his schedule #sosuehim.  
Would I work with him again? YES, but I might be more careful... however I think id be more careful with anyone.

Did the stake make money overall? No.
Did I work my nutts off trying? YES.
Am I a better player because of him? YES.

- final point... did it put pressure on me? Hmmmmm... I dont think so, I think like many poker players I have a little bit of a disconnect between live poker and online poker.
#computergameinnit
#justnumberz

However, I don't think I ever mashed in some money without thinking I could/ would/ should be +ev.

Only one coming to mind is 4bt/calling 4 high figuring that I have to call $4 into 14 or something and if he puts in the big broadways we probably have to go with it.  The biggest mistake in the hand isnt the call imo, its the aggression with a poor hand in the first place.

hope this helps......

next - stuff..............

This is all amazing advice and can relate to a lot of it already thanks, the Ayia Napa videos look amazing we didn't do the beach party really regretting it now though Sad
thanks for all this and GL with playing!
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: August 13, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »

A little bit of poker on the way....

Like many before me I have had a rough year poker wise, I haven't put in as much volume as I had hoped.. however that is through both life fun + games, poker shots + experimenting AND some life + poker downs and problems.

I cant really complain when I consider what and where I've been, however striving for more progress and furthering my ambitions.

Buttttt...... I do believe I ran a little bad earlier in the year, not that it means anything.  However for all the runbad or runeven I experienced in my previous few sessions, well I managed to counter all of that last friday in a friendly 1/1 in Aspers Northampton.

1st
We find 66 on the button and see a £3 open and a couple of calls in front of me.  I thought about inflating the pot a little (to £10/12) knowing that 200bbs deep with many of them, and that most would not think I have smaller pairs if I did.
I decided against just calling, see both blinds come along and a rather fun

checks to OR, cbet of 9 and a call in front of me.  I realise this board could be trouble however there is plenty of value to be had from too many hands to not raise. 
I make it 30 and see a flat call from the SB, the original caller then jams for just around 100.  I happily get it in and find the SB coming along as well.

So were all in 3 ways with 66 on 567cc vs two opponents with unknown hands.

TURN

brick

RIVER

And we win vs what was apparently two straight draws - think one had 87 and t'other A8 or similar.

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »

2nd

We find 44 a little while later in SB and peel an open with a call or two behind.  We see a flop (wal) and perform the "Gascoigne" play stage 1.

We get a cold call from the BB who although a weak player isnt a fool and I know he has a hand here.  The cbetor and caller folded leaving me hu out of position with a set on a very wet board.

Something I may have not thought about as well as usual were stack sizes with all possible opponents.  The gent I now find myself vs has £140ish left with ~£90 in the middle.  Its not that I mind betting over the pot, however I do find many of the players I find in live cash games often have strong feelings about overbets.

We see a turn of and with the addition of a second flush draw and only realistically losing to and TT's sometimes (he likely reraises JJ preflop imo).

I decide that in favour of getting too fancy with a wet board and strong hand, I merely set him in.
This was my choice for a couple of reasons:
- ive just had a set a few mins before, and didnt play this strongly
- I can credibly represent a semi bluff/ monster draw
- there arent many value hands I can have, he may hero AJ+ some %.
- the second flush draw will add outs to some of his hands and I expect him to call with his combo draws some %.
- it would be fps to bet less than 60-70 with the wet board which only leaves him 70 left.

He took a few minutes and apologised while genuinely seeming confused.

He apparently tank folded , which did suprise me somewhat..

Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 ... 253 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: