blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 1467 1468 ... 9208 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13443144 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21945 on: November 29, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

Tal, Will there be live streaming? I'm intrigued to have a gander when it starts.

Yes there will, Tonji. All on the website:
http://www.londonchessclassic.com/

If you are local or free at some stage, if you visit one chess tournament ever, this would be a good one. £15 for the day in the week; £20 at the weekend. Children (born after 1/1/97) get in free.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21946 on: November 29, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »

Thanks Tal. My question was really "were we betting against ourselves?" - if Magnus loses to Luke, was that the Magnus bet dead?

Happily, it seems we can win both ways. Possibly.

Anyway, we have a fun tenner, & we could perhaps consider more.

Might even go take a blonde railing crew to watch him in action, bust him Luuuuuuuuuuukkkee.

PRO here and at the ready if required Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21947 on: November 29, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »

Thanks Tal. My question was really "were we betting against ourselves?" - if Magnus loses to Luke, was that the Magnus bet dead?

Might even go take a blonde railing crew to watch him in action, bust him Luuuuuuuuuuukkkee.

SIT DOWN!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21948 on: November 29, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »

^^^^^^

Confirmed Wink [boshi is an able Second]

It doesn't kill our bet if Carlsen loses to McShane (in fact, not only would our bet still be alive, we only spent £30 on Carlsen to win, so that would be a superb freeroll).

If Carlsen wins, we have 3 points in the bag and Carlsen has won with Black, which is good for tie breaks, if needed. If it is a draw, we lose a tenner on McShane, but lose little ground on our overall winner bet.

Of the 4 games on Saturday, I would say McShane v Carlsen is the least likely to end in a draw. There, I said it!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #21949 on: November 29, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »

SIT DOWN!

Shoe bombs on the rail ?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21950 on: November 29, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »

I'm hoping to go down on Sunday to watch Round 2. If I don't make it, I might try the following weekend.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #21951 on: November 29, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »

If we fancy Luke to win this the correct action would be to back Luke and then bet Carlson to win when he has drifted afterwards.  As it is, we have effectively bet both sides to win. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21952 on: November 29, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »

I think Luke's price of 7/1 is wrong, but Carlsen and the draw are both more likely than Luke winning.

You might well still be right but I thought I should clarify that.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21953 on: November 29, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »

Doobs is right, but unfortunately, or otherwise, we backed Carlsen some weeks ago.

In view of that, maybe we should have swerved the Luke single, but never mind, all is not lost. Yet.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21954 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »

Two years ago, when Carlsen lost to McShane in the first round, he did go on to win the tournament, so if we are cross-betting by backing Luke to win the game and Carlsen to win the tournament, am I right in saying we aren't doing it by much?

Like I say, the problem is Magnus is unlikely to lose on Saturday, which means we miss out if he wins because his price shortens.

That's how in see it anyway, but this is where our betting corry pool comes in!

I'm clearly not the "how" guy...

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #21955 on: November 29, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »

has there been any incidences of aggressive anti railing at top chess matches?

As i think it has the potential to be amazing.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #21956 on: November 29, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »

Doobs is right, but unfortunately, or otherwise, we backed Carlsen some weeks ago.

In view of that, maybe we should have swerved the Luke single, but never mind, all is not lost. Yet.

I don't think we should refuse a bet because we have the other side, we should only refuse it because the price is too short.  The Luke bet would be fine if we now accepted the Carlsen bet was too short.

I don't know nearly enough about chess to decide if either of the bets is right, but know enough about betting to say they can't both be right.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21957 on: November 29, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

There is a strict rule of silence in the playing hall, but there have been plenty of disputes, tantrums and the odd fight between elite players over the years.

At junior tournaments, I've seen it all though, over the years. It isn't just football matches where the parents act much worse than their children.

But that's for another time (or another thread)

Doobs, thanks for that. You and the others will undoubtedly be relied on in the next week or so for stability, logic and wisdom as a calming foil to my enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:43:43 PM by Tal » Logged

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #21958 on: November 29, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »

There is a strict rule of silence in the playing hall, but there have been plenty of disputes, tantrums and the odd fight between elite players over the years.

At junior tournaments, I've seen it all though, over the years. It isn't just football matches where the parents act much worse than their children.

But that's for another time (or another thread)

Doobs, thanks for that. You and the others will undoubtedly be relied on in the next week or so for stability, logic and wisdom as a calming foil to my enthusiasm.

Now searching youtube...
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #21959 on: November 29, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »

What was the name of the poster who criticised everyone's selections, but never made any of his own?

I wanted to find one of his posts, but just spent 15 minutes looking for them and can't find him.

"AceHighSuited" - just a guess

No not Glasgow Bandit, before your time mate.

Is AceHigh Glasgow Bandit? I thought he might be and it would explain the sudden disappearance.
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 1467 1468 ... 9208 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: