blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:22:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 6203 6204 6205 6206 [6207] 6208 6209 6210 6211 ... 9208 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13442317 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #93090 on: December 28, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »

I think it's earlier than 1966 Rich, more like 1960/61 as George Eastham has just arrived judging by the inset. I remember all of those guys.

Don Howe must have been player?/coach at that time as he once told someone to "get that kid out of here" when George Swindin had allowed me in the dressing-room before a match.

its later than 60-61

Jon Sammels (who i got to know a little bit once he settled in leicestershire - a driving instructor- he did some matchday hospitality)  played til about 77-78 and started around 63-64

60-61 would mean he was 15 ish in this picture

I'm showing my age Rich, Ron Greenwood was the coach who had me ejected.

I blame typhoo for misleading me with their dodgy inserts re the year.

Jon Sammels was a very decent player, probably MOTM when we won the second leg of the Fairs Cup final 3-0 to overcome a 3-1 deficit from the away game.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93091 on: December 28, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »

I think it's earlier than 1966 Rich, more like 1960/61 as George Eastham has just arrived judging by the inset. I remember all of those guys.

Don Howe must have been player?/coach at that time as he once told someone to "get that kid out of here" when George Swindin had allowed me in the dressing-room before a match.

its later than 60-61

Jon Sammels (who i got to know a little bit once he settled in leicestershire - a driving instructor- he did some matchday hospitality)  played til about 77-78 and started around 63-64

60-61 would mean he was 15 ish in this picture

I'm showing my age Rich, Ron Greenwood was the coach who had me ejected.

I blame typhoo for misleading me with their dodgy inserts re the year.

Jon Sammels was a very decent player, probably MOTM when we won the second leg of the Fairs Cup final 3-0 to overcome a 3-1 deficit from the away game.

The Eastham "inset" appears to be an inexplicable red herring, but a spot of googling provides us with some interesting insights into football not so long ago.....

Eastham made his Arsenal debut against Bolton Wanderers on 10 December 1960, and scored twice as Arsenal won 5–1. Later on that same season, he scored the equaliser against his former club Newcastle United at St James' Park, in a 3–3 draw, during which he was called "Judas" and pelted with apples.

Eastham continued to be a regular and served as Arsenal captain between 1963 and 1966, but Arsenal's declining form – finishing 14th in 1965–66 — led to Wright's dismissal in the summer of 1966. By now Eastham was nearly 30, and the new Arsenal management sought to dismantle Wright's side in favour of younger players. He joined Stoke City in August 1966, having scored 41 goals in 223 matches for the Gunners.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:22:54 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93092 on: December 28, 2014, 03:14:53 PM »

The "Judas" comment?

However, during his time at Newcastle United Eastham fell out with the club, with Eastham disputing whether the house the club had supplied him was habitable, the unsatisfactory secondary job that the club had arranged (as maximum wage rules at the time forbade clubs from paying the market rate) and their attempts to stop him playing for the England U23 team. With his contract due to expire soon, in 1959, Eastham refused to sign a new one and requested a transfer. However, Newcastle refused to let Eastham go. At the time, clubs operated a system known as retain-and-transfer, which meant that teams could keep a player's registration (thus preventing them from moving) while refusing to pay them if they had requested a transfer. As Eastham later recounted:

Our contract could bind us to a club for life. Most people called it the "slavery contract". We had virtually no rights at all. It was often the case that the guy on the terrace not only earned more than us – though there's nothing wrong with that – he had more freedom of movement than us. People in business or teaching were able to hand in their notice and move on. We weren't. That was wrong.

Unable to leave, Eastham went on strike at the end of the 1959–60 season, moving south to work for an old family friend, Ernie Clay (who later became chairman of Fulham), selling cork in Guildford, Surrey. Finally in October 1960 Newcastle relented and sold Eastham to Arsenal for £47,500. However, Eastham considered the point worth fighting for, and backed by the Professional Footballers' Association (who provided £15,000 to pay for Eastham's legal fees), he took the club to the High Court in 1963.

In the case, Eastham v. Newcastle United [1964] Ch. 413, Eastham argued that it was an unfair restraint of trade, and that Newcastle owed him £400 in unpaid wages and £650 in unpaid bonuses. The judge, Mr Justice Wilberforce, ruled partly in Eastham's favour, stating that the retain-and-transfer system was unreasonable, although he ruled that as Eastham had refused to play for Newcastle, that any payment of wages for the disputed period was at Newcastle's discretion. As a result, although Eastham did not gain personally, he succeeded in reforming the British transfer market. The "retain" element of retain-and-transfer was greatly reduced, providing fairer terms for players looking to re-sign for their clubs, and setting up a transfer tribunal for disputes.[4]

That pendelum didn't 'arf swing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:34:54 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93093 on: December 28, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »

The date of the Team, allegedly, is 1965/66.

Footnotes also state.....

Dating evidence for this photo includes the  absence of Frank McLintock (transferred from Leicester City in October 1964). Don Howe transferred from W.B.A. to Arsenal in April 1964.

If you look closely at this photo the three players on the right have round-necked shirts and their heads don't look right on the bodies. Did someone do a (very bad) cut and paste onto the heads of other Arsenal players. Surely not?

Players now sadly passed away:
George Armstrong (01/11/2000)
Joe Baker (06/10/2003)

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93094 on: December 28, 2014, 03:19:12 PM »

Some real memory jerkers here.....

http://cards.littleoak.com.au/196566_typhoo_premium/196566_typhoo_premium.htm.html

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93095 on: December 28, 2014, 03:22:01 PM »

This was a great Chelsea Team, I saw them many many times, they had an abundance of "names".

The com part, though, is the Trainer, Harry Medhurst, in a white "doctor's coat". Awesome. 

Click to see full-size image.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #93096 on: December 28, 2014, 04:16:13 PM »

Arsenal look very short @ 5/4 away to WHam today especially as we'll probably be fielding another makeshift defence due to Koscielny's questionable fitness. It''ll either be that or Monreal who actually deputises fairly well but I dread to think of him duelling with Carroll for high balls in the box.

The walrus has a decent record against us and Giroud will be a big miss defensively too as he is key for us at corners and the like.

Personally I'd snap anyone's hand off who offerred me a point.

I think fred should consider laying Arsenal @ ~5/4*

* I still want Arsenal to win and will not pretend otherwise should we do so.

Someone start passing the hat round for Ralph.

He must be doing his Christmas Crackers!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #93097 on: December 28, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »

Cunning plan going okay so far  

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #93098 on: December 28, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »

Cunning plan going okay so far  

Cruising towards 4th.

Should keep you Wenger Boys happy!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #93099 on: December 28, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »

Well if the bookies got pasted other day they must be getting it back today eh? 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93100 on: December 28, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »

fwiw both Gronkowski and Edelman are inactive today, per my earlier post

that's two of the top four out of the market, including the favourite, which remains unchanged

http://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl/buffalo-bills-at-new-england-patriots/first-touchdown-scorer

take your pick from

Lafell, the main receiver

wright, the starting tight end

any one of four/five running backs they may start (gray, blount, vereen, white, bolden)

i regard buffalo as easier to throw on than run on, so will be doing tim wright at 12-1 but you've got "articifical" odds about any near the head of the market you choose while the market remains unaltered

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93101 on: December 28, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »

good call on Bournemouth earlier (i missed placing another winner)

20 shots to 3 away to Millwall, comfortable win by the looks of it

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #93102 on: December 28, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »

fwiw both Gronkowski and Edelman are inactive today, per my earlier post

that's two of the top four out of the market, including the favourite, which remains unchanged

http://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl/buffalo-bills-at-new-england-patriots/first-touchdown-scorer

take your pick from

Lafell, the main receiver

wright, the starting tight end

any one of four/five running backs they may start (gray, blount, vereen, white, bolden)

i regard buffalo as easier to throw on than run on, so will be doing tim wright at 12-1 but you've got "articifical" odds about any near the head of the market you choose while the market remains unaltered

Gronk confirmed sitting, so Wright has to be good.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #93103 on: December 28, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »

Eddie howe for.president
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #93104 on: December 28, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »

Hakeem Nicks needs one touchdown to activate a $250,000 incentive bonus. Any value there, either way?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 ... 6203 6204 6205 6206 [6207] 6208 6209 6210 6211 ... 9208 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: