blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:00:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272596 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 604497 times)
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: September 23, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »

The game has moved on from a keeper purely being able to make saves though. It's like saying a defender should be judged only on heading and tackling, not his ability with the ball at his feet.

I understand the point you are making that he has made the saves he's been expected to make but I'd imagine he's created uncertainty in his defenders, leading them to make more mistakes, due to his inability with his feet.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: September 23, 2018, 11:19:45 PM »

The game has moved on from a keeper purely being able to make saves though. It's like saying a defender should be judged only on heading and tackling, not his ability with the ball at his feet.

I understand the point you are making that he has made the saves he's been expected to make but I'd imagine he's created uncertainty in his defenders, leading them to make more mistakes, due to his inability with his feet.

I've been trying to type similar in-between watching a film!

It's 2018, the role of a top level keeper has advanced a fair bit in the last 3 or 4 years. It's nothing against Cech as he has been a superb stopper since arriving in England, and it's not his fault that keepers are expected to do more than just keep the ball out the net. But to get him to adopt to this new style whilst in the twilight of his career seems a little strange and perhaps almost unfair.

He'll make a great No2 for a couple of years but if Arsenal really want to progress in this new era surely it needs someone new between the sticks?

Best Bitter.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: September 23, 2018, 11:26:52 PM »

It's 2018, the role of a top level keeper has advanced a fair bit in the last 3 or 4 years. It's nothing against Cech as he has been a superb stopper since arriving in England, and it's not his fault that keepers are expected to do more than just keep the ball out the net. But to get him to adopt to this new style whilst in the twilight of his career seems a little strange and perhaps almost unfair.

He'll make a great No2 for a couple of years but if Arsenal really want to progress in this new era surely it needs someone new between the sticks?

I'm sure he's busy practicing his Cruyff turn into the small hours.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: September 23, 2018, 11:32:39 PM »

I'm sure he's busy practicing his Cruyff turn into the small hours.

That, or just watch some tapes of the master, Ederson.

In reality, to make that style of play work week in week out requires very calm and assured outfield players with a certain skillset, particularly in defence and centre mid. I don't think Arsenal quite have the personnel across the pitch to make it a success just yet. Everyone needs to be singing from the same hymn sheet to make it work effectively.

Best Bitter.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: September 24, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »

Cech is setting new personal highs based on his average saves per match. In the last 10 years his previous high was 3.3 saves per game. So far this season it is 4.3 saves per game. 

Other keepers this season who have played all 6 games and over the 4 saves per game threshold are  Hart, Fabianski and Etheridge. Hart is actually at 5.2 saves per game which is a career high for him.

What do they have in common? They are playing for sides who concede lots of shots and shots on target and Arsenal are down at the bottom with Burnley, Huddersfield, Cardiff, West Ham and Huddersfield.
So,unless Cech is making howlers, with these sort of numbers he will look good because he is very active.

If we use xG to look at the quality of the shots he has faced (really only a rough indicator) Arsenal should have conceded 7.26 against 9 goals actually let in. So he has under performed against xG.

And what rin and hyy have said...   

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: September 24, 2018, 10:01:21 PM »

So a fan who just watches with his eyes, the data guys and some non supporters all reach the same conclusion.

Granted he is fronted by a very moderate defence, something else some of us have been bleating on about for years.

I bet I know someone who still thinks he is marv.........

To be fair Unai has to work a season with what he has been left with, make the best of a bad job and start making defensive changes at the first opportunity.

The heart tells me we will score a lot more than we let in, so it won't be all bad.

Let's just park it there for now.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: September 27, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »

Another excellent analysis from Tim Stillman which endorses a previous point I tried to make about why having two players with "free" roles in the team is one too many:

https://arseblog.com/2018/09/attack-attack-attack/

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: September 29, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »

Nice to see a couple of our younger players who I have always held in high regard do so well today.

Rob Holding with a superb performance in defence, and Alex Iwobi came on at 0-0 with twenty minutes to go and completely changed the game with his pace and trickery.

Aubamayang and Ramsey were peripheral and failed to influence the game before being subbed.

All of the above is strictly according to my eyes.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: September 29, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »

Nice to see a couple of our younger players who I have always held in high regard do so well today.

Rob Holding with a superb performance in defence, and Alex Iwobi came on at 0-0 with twenty minutes to go and completely changed the game with his pace and trickery.

Aubamayang and Ramsey were peripheral and failed to influence the game before being subbed.

All of the above is strictly according to my eyes.

In a few games this season it has looked like Iwobi has really improved. Still loads of room for improvement by Arsenal but Watford are a half decent side and Arsenal are moving the ball a lot quicker this year than the last few years. Still not quick enough but big improvement

sola virtus nobilitat
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: September 30, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »

For the past several seasons, owning the official Arsenal calender has been a tough gig, but this year its been an absolute disgrace.

Jan- Sanchez(long gone by then)

Feb- Bellerin(meh)

March- Lacazette(ok)

April- Cech(meh)

May- Koscielny(still injured?)

June-Nacho(meh)

July- Mertasackashit(retired....about 5 years ago)

August- Walcott(gone)

Sept-Ramsey(the month we find out he will go)

October-Ozil(lumbered forever)

November- Xhaka(FFS)

December- Giroud(gone)

I mean, should I be asking for my money back(on several fronts, yeah, I know!)Huh??

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: October 05, 2018, 09:35:41 AM »

After last night's comfortable 3-0 win, Arsenal have now won 8 on the trot.

Been a while since that happened.

Sunday might just be interesting, as they make the short trip south west to Fulham.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: October 05, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »

After last night's comfortable 3-0 win, Arsenal have now won 8 on the trot.

Been a while since that happened.

Sunday might just be interesting, as they make the short trip south west to Fulham.
Good game and good chance of success in this comp ..even if it will get tougher when Liverpool and Spurs join the knockout stages

sola virtus nobilitat
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: October 05, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »

If Ramsey contract demands were actually £250k pw I would also say pack your bags, head in the clouds mate. 100% nobody else pays that so interesting where he ends up.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: October 05, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »

If Ramsey contract demands were actually £250k pw I would also say pack your bags, head in the clouds mate. 100% nobody else pays that so interesting where he ends up.

I think that the total value of his proposed new deal at the aforementioned salary was going to be ~£52M.

A fairly easy decision to spend that kind of dough elsewhere imo.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: October 05, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »

I think that the total value of his proposed new deal at the aforementioned salary was going to be ~£52M.

A fairly easy decision to spend that kind of dough elsewhere imo.

Yep, bye Aaron, you had 3 good years and I'll remember you fondly

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: