blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Post bust-out handshakes
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post bust-out handshakes  (Read 25147 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

His conclusion was that we had both shaken hands on the result. However incorrect it was, a conclusion had been agreed between the parties and the handshake sealed the deal.

When I was eleven this happened to me in the championship and there was no hand shaking, so I'm going back to the school to get it sorted out.  Bastards

oh and Red Dog Tikay neither of you shook my hand when you bad beat me, you just looked sheepish - you're bastards as well

lucky for you I don't dwell on these things.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »

I would suggest from Toms background a handshake can mean much more than a welcome, whole financial deals are made by it in my experience with travellers, i have bought and sold many vehicles to/from travellers and never once has a handshake finalized deal ever been welched upon.

You're right, a handshake, or more accurately among community members the striking of an outstretched palm is a totally binding contract, (There's a whole ritual that goes with it) but I'm not discussing handshakes in that context here. I'm just talking about the the 'respect your fellow man, common or garden handshake'.

I'm interested in the bolded part of your post. How do toy know the Travellers and what are your dealings with them? Are you in the motor trade?

The older I get, the better I was.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »

the thing I like about handshakes after poker games or tournaments is it says "we gambled against each other for money, one of us lost, one of us but there are no hard feelings we were playing a game"

I'm not really one for "leave me in peace after I've lost money" I actually like shaking the guys hand who's won a big pot or busted me from a tournament because as a poker player I've often felt a little guilty about winning money form people, but they way I've always fully justified it and accepted it in my head is that if and when people win money from me I'll act totally graciously and even try and be happy for them. The handshake is almost like an acceptence of defeat, which I think is good, saying "today you were the better man, congratulations"

I remember losing 99 vs QJhh on 8h9h3* for nearly £40k pot about 01 months and the guy afterwards was hi-fiving his friends then offered me a handshake - I honestly loved it.

I think this is because I'm way less of a competitive person than most poker players, was speaking to Jamie about this the other day and was wondering how much of a hinderence it is as a gambler to not be fiercely competitive.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »

Hi Tom, yes in motor trade, years ago used to deal with lots of travellers who lived on edge of the town i grew up in, used to go to auctions / sales with them.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

Hi Tom, yes in motor trade, years ago used to deal with lots of travellers who lived on edge of the town i grew up in, used to go to auctions / sales with them.

I thought it might be that.

Cheers Adrian. Cushty bok.

The older I get, the better I was.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »

Surely the difference in opinion here comes from people who play poker primarily for fun and those who play primarily for a living?

In the former context I think people who refuse to shake hands are in the wrong, and in the latter those who insist on it are in the wrong.

As to the 'sorry' debate, I totally disagree that it's always false. I've made some horrific calls and sucked out on someone and said 'sorry about that mate' and truly meant it. I made a mistake and got lucky. I've been in that other guy's shoes and know how shitty it feels. I'm glad I'm still in the tournament, but I do have some human empathy and am able to feel simultaneously bad for someone else and pleased for myself.

Why would you be sorry though ? You still wanted to win right ?
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

Surely the difference in opinion here comes from people who play poker primarily for fun and those who play primarily for a living?

In the former context I think people who refuse to shake hands are in the wrong, and in the latter those who insist on it are in the wrong.

As to the 'sorry' debate, I totally disagree that it's always false. I've made some horrific calls and sucked out on someone and said 'sorry about that mate' and truly meant it. I made a mistake and got lucky. I've been in that other guy's shoes and know how shitty it feels. I'm glad I'm still in the tournament, but I do have some human empathy and am able to feel simultaneously bad for someone else and pleased for myself.

^^^ this

Surely you've felt this playing sport before?

Not that I'm saying poker is a sport. It's not. Just drawing a comparison.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »

When I'm writhing around in agony having being kicked in the bollocks I find an apology makes all the difference

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »

When I'm writhing around in agony having being kicked in the bollocks I find an apology makes all the difference

I don't believe this, I've never seen you apologise before.

Ah! The element of surprise
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »

Interesting thread and I'm in the camel's get the fk out of Dodge camp fwiw.

By far the most salient point for me was AndrewT's "It's the loser's moment".

You too Ralph?

Does losing cause you so much pain that you can't spare a second to show good grace and share a pleasantry?

I haven't had a game of live poker for months and after this, I may never play live again. If I do, it will probably be in sunglasses and hoody. Sulking and silent.

If it's been pleasant table-company, when I get gg'd  I'll just tap the table and say "good luck guys" before making the walk of shame which might include the slitty-throat mime to any close friends who catch my eye in flagrante.

I honestly think that having knocked someone out of a tourney it's a little insensitive to force them to shake your hand when they are almost definitely hurting, and I say force because should they refuse the handshake they are portrayed as a bad loser.

As Andrew said it's the loser's moment so let them decide how to handle it.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »

^^^ this

Surely you've felt this playing sport before?

Not that I'm saying poker is a sport. It's not. Just drawing a comparison.

I just don't see how someone could sincerely say sorry about something that they are glad has happened. I've never once felt bad about getting lucky over someone in a hand no matter how bad I've played it, whilst I can feel empathy for my opponent if he seems devd etc I couldn't genuinely be sorry for him as I'm glad I won.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »

Why couldn't you be both happy you won and sorry you busted the guy in the same feeling.

Loads of times I've said "sorry mate, UL" after getting a little lucky, and someone has said "Are you really sorry?" and I say Yes I am sorry that he lost unluckily, I am however, in the same way pretty dam happy that I got lucky and won. Just don't get it.

In fact I fint people in general pretty dam prickly over gambling, whats the need?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »

It's been debated to death before, but poker isn't a sport as it's not a physical endeavour, and all sports contain this element.

Anyway, I'm with Dave on the handshake thing and empathising with the person who has lost a hand (as we've all been there - except for Rastafish). Just because you can enjoy winning a large pot - doesn't mean you can't place yourself in the other person's shoes and understand how they're feeling. If someone says "sorry", they don't mean they're sorry that they got there, or that they're sorry their hand was better - they're saying that they're feeling sorry for their current situation - empathising with them.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »

It's been debated to death before, but poker isn't a sport as it's not a physical endeavour, and all sports contain this element.

Anyway, I'm with Dave on the handshake thing and empathising with the person who has lost a hand (as we've all been there - except for Rastafish). Just because you can enjoy winning a large pot - doesn't mean you can't place yourself in the other person's shoes and understand how they're feeling. If someone says "sorry", they don't mean they're sorry that they got there, or that they're sorry their hand was better - they're saying that they're feeling sorry for their current situation - empathising with them.

It's bad enough offering a handshake after you win, but stealing the other guy's shoes is bang out of order IMO.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »

It's bad enough offering a handshake after you win, but stealing the other guy's shoes is bang out of order IMO.

...and the shirt off his back.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: