blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:55:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Post bust-out handshakes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post bust-out handshakes  (Read 25239 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »

Personally I am very tactile and enjoy shaking hands with different people every day but it just doesn't float my boat at the poker table. All the points made by the elders are true enough but I don't think those sentiments need to be applied to poker. I don't really know why that is, prob cos I'm in bad ass mode or something. Maybe if you substitute the word 'poker' with the words 'kicked in the bollocks' it makes sense. I don't think it's appropriate to offer my hand to somebody I've just kicked in the bollocks or shake hands with a guy who just kicked me in the bollocks. It's no big deal, I just think people need to insta limp to the rail when they get a kick in the bollocks rather than conducting some kinda exit ceremony around the table

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »

Interesting thread and I'm in the camel's get the fk out of Dodge camp fwiw.

By far the most salient point for me was AndrewT's "It's the loser's moment".

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »

Personally I am very tactile and enjoy shaking hands with different people every day but it just doesn't float my boat at the poker table. All the points made by the elders are true enough but I don't think those sentiments need to be applied to poker. I don't really know why that is, prob cos I'm in bad ass mode or something. Maybe if you substitute the word 'poker' with the words 'kicked in the bollocks' it makes sense. I don't think it's appropriate to offer my hand to somebody I've just kicked in the bollocks or shake hands with a guy who just kicked me in the bollocks. It's no big deal, I just think people need to insta limp to the rail when they get a kick in the bollocks rather than conducting some kinda exit ceremony around the table

I was going to make a proper reply, but I think I'll just substitute the word, 'bollocks'.  

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »

You too Ralph?

Does losing cause you so much pain that you can't spare a second to show good grace and share a pleasantry?

I haven't had a game of live poker for months and after this, I may never play live again. If I do, it will probably be in sunglasses and hoody. Sulking and silent.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »

You too Ralph?

Does losing cause you so much pain that you can't spare a second to show good grace and share a pleasantry?

I haven't had a game of live poker for months and after this, I may never play live again. If I do, it will probably be in sunglasses and hoody. Sulking and silent.

Don't forget to disinfect your hands, too.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »

You too Ralph?

Don't forget to disinfect your hands, too.

Just put some of this in your manbag.
 Click to see full-size image.

Ah! The element of surprise
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2012, 12:22:18 PM »

If poker is to be accepted as a sport then the players need to act in a sporting manner both in winning and defeat.
Nothing wrong in shaking hands upon your exit from the table. It shows respect and manners, true sportsmanship.

In an extreme case,if we have a guy thats just given us a bad beat and 2 outed us on the river, he's an absolute tool at the table mouthing off all the time, we get it in, with him in terrible shape, he sucks out , high fives the dealer and the rest of the players at the table, then jumps over to you to shake your hand upon your exit. We now show real class when we just calmly shake his hand and wish him good luck. Few players will have this mindset and the character to act in a sporting manner in defeat regardless of how the opponent acts. That's what separates the true sporting heroes imo. They know they can control their emotions and return to do battle another day. They will be winners in their own mind and looked upon that way and greatly respected by the majority of people . A true gent / lady is a pleasure to be in the company of.

For those that refuse to shake hands,  just rush of to the bar or out of the building it shows a complete lack of class imo. Like crying little dummy spitters who just lost their toy.
It's a game ! Ok money prizes,trophies, medals for the winners , but is that not what all sporting events have. Some of the attitudes in this thread towards shaking an opponents hand are disgraceful imo, and its attitudes and actions like this that will keep poker from being recognised as a true sport.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »

You too Ralph?

I think you are overstating the importance of this Tom.

I can't think of many more congenial people to play poker with than Karl or Ralph, yet they don't think the moment after a bustout is the right time to have a handshake.

A wise man once said to me "losers can please themselves, winners can make their own arrangements"

Let the loser decide if he feels a handshake is appropriate.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »

You too Ralph?

I think you are overstating the importance of this Tom.

I can't think of many more congenial people to play poker with than Karl or Ralph, yet they don't think the moment after a bustout is the right time to have a handshake.

A wise man once said to me "losers can please themselves, winners can make their own arrangements"

Let the loser decide if he feels a handshake is appropriate.

An even wiser man once said "Anyone can sparkle in the sunshine, but when the sky darkens, only those with an inner light can shine".

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »

If poker is to be accepted as a sport then the players need to act in a sporting manner both in winning and defeat.
Nothing wrong in shaking hands upon your exit from the table. It shows respect and manners, true sportsmanship.

In an extreme case,if we have a guy thats just given us a bad beat and 2 outed us on the river, he's an absolute tool at the table mouthing off all the time, we get it in, with him in terrible shape, he sucks out , high fives the dealer and the rest of the players at the table, then jumps over to you to shake your hand upon your exit. We now show real class when we just calmly shake his hand and wish him good luck. Few players will have this mindset and the character to act in a sporting manner in defeat regardless of how the opponent acts. That's what separates the true sporting heroes imo. They know they can control their emotions and return to do battle another day. They will be winners in their own mind and looked upon that way and greatly respected by the majority of people . A true gent / lady is a pleasure to be in the company of.

For those that refuse to shake hands,  just rush of to the bar or out of the building it shows a complete lack of class imo. Like crying little dummy spitters who just lost their toy.
It's a game ! Ok money prizes,trophies, medals for the winners , but is that not what all sporting events have. Some of the attitudes in this thread towards shaking an opponents hand are disgraceful imo, and its attitudes and actions like this that will keep poker from being recognised as a true sport.

Could not disagree with this more. How is shaking a classless guys hand showing true class?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Gizsumcash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »

Poker will never be recognised as a sport. My family/friends look down on people who play poker, especially as a living. I cant see people who dont play poker will ever see it as anything but gambling.

I love my fear
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »

Could not disagree with this more. How is shaking a classless guys hand showing true class?
You just don't get it do you.
By shaking the guys hand we show we are not at his level, we are better than him , we are not worried or phased by his actions . We just lost at a game but at least can show we have self respect and will act with good manners in the most difficult of circumstances.By just storming off into the crowd refusing to shake hands we show we are really no better than him when it comes to manners and decorum.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:32 PM »

"Quick lads, look the other way - here's comes Tom and Tikay and they'll want to shake hands with us. Especially that Kendall fella who bet against us"

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2012, 12:40:25 PM »

For those that refuse to shake hands,  just rush of to the bar or out of the building it shows a complete lack of class imo. Like crying little dummy spitters who just lost their toy.

You just don't get it do you.
By shaking the guys hand we show we are not at his level, we are better than him , we are not worried or phased by his actions . We just lost at a game but at least can show we have self respect and will act with good manners in the most difficult of circumstances.By just storming off into the crowd refusing to shake hands we show we are really no better than him when it comes to manners and decorum.

You're not worried or phased by his actions, yet you want to show that you're better than him?

Story does not check out.
treefella

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »

Poker will never be recognised as a sport. My family/friends look down on people who play poker, especially as a living. I cant see people who dont play poker will ever see it as anything but gambling.
Well it's down to the players and how they conduct themselves to change these perceptions.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: