blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:03:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Marks-ups getting out of hand
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marks-ups getting out of hand  (Read 32355 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »

Have you seen the mark up Tesco charges on some of it's products?

Petrol always cheapest at Waitrose. Don't go anywhere else, unless you're a mug of course.

Oh, how appalling.  One doesn't shop at Waitrose to be cheap.  One wants the hoi polloi to know one can afford to overpay.  One thinks the Facebook buyers were just doing the same thing here.  One has a right to pour one's wealth down the lavatory. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »

Can kind of see both sides, but when it comes down to it, it's Caveat Emptor, surely?  I remember years ago same guy selling shares for the DTD £300 at something like £48 for 10%, with the selling point being the potential return of 10% of whatever the first place money was at the time, with no mention even of the actual buy in.  Did some people buy? Yes.  Did I (or anyone else) comment on the proposal? No, not as I recall.  Presumably everyone that bought in was happy to do so either a) having done the research and knowing what they were buying or b) not being bothered to check out fairly easily accessible information before parting with their cash, which they are also allowed to do as grown ups.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »

I charge more per day than some other carpenters I know
Why.....?
Because I think I am good value with all the kit I have and more importantly the experience I have

I wouldn't expect to be the same mark up in a steaking  thread as a more experienced poker player

Is this not the same thing ?

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »

Why.....?
Because I think I am good value with all the kit I have and more importantly the experience I have

I wouldn't expect to be the same mark up in a steaking  thread as a more experienced poker player

No

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2014, 06:18:40 PM »

Why.....?

No

Quite a blunt answer would you care to elaborate ?

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »

Experience is a very small factor in poker.

I could take a long time veteran of the game who is distinctly average and compare them to Tom Ambler or something

<3 ENSUING
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »

Can kind of see both sides, but when it comes down to it, it's Caveat Emptor, surely?  I remember years ago same guy selling shares for the DTD £300 at something like £48 for 10%, with the selling point being the potential return of 10% of whatever the first place money was at the time, with no mention even of the actual buy in.  Did some people buy? Yes.  Did I (or anyone else) comment on the proposal? No, not as I recall.  Presumably everyone that bought in was happy to do so either a) having done the research and knowing what they were buying or b) not being bothered to check out fairly easily accessible information before parting with their cash, which they are also allowed to do as grown ups.

This pretty much sums it up.  If someone else sells at £48 per 10% in that spot are the people moaning jealous that they haven't got 'investors' who are as generous?  Why do people care if bad player's are staked into these events at what they consider 'bad' prices?
mouth

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2014, 06:34:01 PM »

Dreenie do you think being a girl helps when selling packages? Think people more likely to take a chance etc?

Point being there's pub near me that has poker after hours, occasionally pop in on way home when drunk and donate- a youngish girl was in game, she had spun £40 case money into £250 and I obv stacked her. She was devastated and nearly in tears, she got young kid etc. So I gave her the money back. Now of that was a bloke id probably be more along the lines "shouldn't be playing with last money etc"

Being popular obviously helps when charging markup and selling , just wondering whether being female helps as well

Not a dig at you at all btw, just curious how people think

I've read through eight pages of this thread and find it comical that no one else commented on this post. Is that because all other posters in this thread are male? Do you all think this way?

The majority of women who play poker enter the game expecting to be treated as an equal to the men at their table. They soon realise this is never going to happen, thanks to ridiculous attitudes like yours.

You gave her the money back because she was upset. Why? She sat down to play poker that night knowing she could lose her £40 buy in, same as all of the other people playing that night. You stacking her then giving it back is not chivalrous, it's just ridiculous. What if she had won her money from a guy who was gambling his last £40 - she didn't give it back to him did she? The men she won money from may well have been broke themselves: they could have kids at home as well but you're not going to pay them back?

If she was out in the local pub playing poker and had a kid at home then she probably had to pay a sitter to look after the baby. Did you give her the cash for the sitter as well and her taxi fare home?

I think I'm actually just as ashamed for the woman. The fact she would take that back from you is a joke in itself. Again, most women in poker wouldn't dream of taking it back. They sit down to play knowing they could lose as well as win. If they chose to gamble when they couldn't afford to lose, then it's their own choice and ultimately, their own mistake. The few women in poker who choose to play the "I'm a girl" card instead of their hole cards are generally disliked or simply tolerated by other female poker players, for obvious reasons. Every time we sit down to play, this type of woman takes table equality back another step, and leaves the rest of us women having to put up with yet more Neolithic attitudes at the table.

Everyone has gambled when they couldn't afford to, me included. When I've chosen to do so, and have lost, I've walked away. If a man at my table had then offered to give me my money back I would have been mortified. I don't think I'm alone in this attitude surely?

Don't tell her to turn down, put on your shades if you can't see
Don't tell her to turn down, turn up the flame.

http://gobshiteonlegs.blogspot.com/
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2014, 06:42:41 PM »

Very good post, although not sure I'd be 'mortified' at taking back the money in such a spot, lol... if someone's got a daft enough outlook on such things to give a girl back her money then happy days for the girl.
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as saying Dubai has a daft outlook on things. However, I think this time it'd be better to keep the money and not play again if she's involved if she's going to make you feel like that.

<3 ENSUING
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »

Experience is a very small factor in poker.

I could take a long time veteran of the game who is distinctly average and compare them to Tom Ambler or something

I disagree but can't be bothered to get into a debate

www.ageuk.org.uk/

mouth

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2014, 07:04:37 PM »

Very good post, although not sure I'd be 'mortified' at taking back the money in such a spot, lol... if someone's got a daft enough outlook on such things to give a girl back her money then happy days for the girl.

Yes that's true, but she lets herself down putting herself in the situation where she gets upset at the table after losing and telling people she has a young baby. She probably laughed all the way home, saying to her mate "some old perv gave me my money back after I pretended to cry".

I still can't see why Dubai would give the cash back to her and not to any guy that he stacks though. You're either a charity or you're not.

mouth

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as saying Dubai has a daft outlook on things. However, I think this time it'd be better to keep the money and not play again if she's involved if she's going to make you feel like that.

Yes I'd agree with that also. If a woman crying after losing affects you - and I'd imagine most people would be affected - then don't play when she is there.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »

Yes I'd agree with that also. If a woman crying after losing affects you - and I'd imagine most people would be affected - then don't play when she is there.

I would be just as affected, perhaps even more so, if a bloke started crying though.

That being said, I wouldn't give either their money back.

The older I get, the better I was.
pez102

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »

'mark ups getting out of hand'    what i do is i don't buy a piece of the person if i don't think what they're selling is value, then i go and eat some food or have a drink of something or maybe go out play some football who the hell knows, basically i carry on with the rest of my day. What i don't do is sit on my arse berating the person on Facebook for his 'high mark up' and tell him how he's not value, i just say it to myself ( lol look at this wally selling at 1.3, good luck)

Merry summer everybody x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: