blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272582 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 994 995 996 997 [998] 999 1000 1001 1002 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2194826 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14955 on: November 13, 2018, 08:03:12 PM »

Brent nirvana mused: People pressing for a people's vote to 'sort out the mess' are being rather short sighted, haven't learned even with the benefit of hindsight and are displaying the same arrogance that directly led to the result in 2016.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14956 on: November 14, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »

Incred, politicians of many hues dismiss the deal before reading it.

What a farkin shower they all are

Tweet from Matt Warman, MP

The capacity of MPs to be enraged about an EU deal they haven’t read is as disappointing as it is unsurprising. Cool heads in the national interest might be more appropriate.

It is great to see how willing they are to stand up and try to be the biggest idiot here. 

Right now I don't think there is a single one of them that has stood up and objected where I have thought "oh no, not you too". 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14957 on: November 14, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »

Who knows what the outcome of brexit will be this week, but I have enjoyed brexiters on Twitter having a total melt down over the last 24 hours.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14958 on: November 14, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »

Incred, politicians of many hues dismiss the deal before reading it.

What a farkin shower they all are

Tweet from Matt Warman, MP

The capacity of MPs to be enraged about an EU deal they haven’t read is as disappointing as it is unsurprising. Cool heads in the national interest might be more appropriate.

It is great to see how willing they are to stand up and try to be the biggest idiot here. 

Right now I don't think there is a single one of them that has stood up and objected where I have thought "oh no, not you too". 

It's just crazy. Surely the best that could be hoped for, if one accepts that we must leave, is that we leave in a non turbulent and non destructive way and then give time to develop new arrangements that suit the EU and ourselves. I assume this is likely to be the nature of this deal. If you voted leave this seems to make sense to me. If you're an arch remainer then I guess it opens the door to keep campaigning for re entry during years of complex negotiations with some kind of stable backdrop. Cue parliament rejecting it..nutttttterrrrs

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14959 on: November 14, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »

Getting itchy

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14960 on: November 14, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »

Getting itchy

Haha. Honestly didn't see this

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14961 on: November 14, 2018, 12:30:53 PM »

Getting itchy

Haha. Honestly didn't see this

I know I'm overusing this imoji but Huh?

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14962 on: November 14, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »

May has come back with inferior deal but it’s* better than no deal (for which we are not prepared), and better than a second referendum i would say which would only open new wounds.

* haven't read it so assuming no nasties

Remain isn't an option, (worse than that imo but have to be realistic, we lost the vote)

so given all that why the ideological purity from hard brexiters in parliament at this late stage? Surely they have to agree to compromise at some stage?

As it stands

My prediction:*

💥Cabinet backs deal
💥Parliament rejects deal
💥Lab calls vote of no confidence, loses
💥Markets tank
💥Gilt yields rise
💥Theresa May offers referendum on Remain/No deal

*Don't try this at home.

if that is remotely true (it may not be) then by being so inflexible the hard brexiters in parliament are increasing the likelihood of not getting it at all

Back to my hibernation.

My eyes are open wide
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14963 on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »

May has come back with inferior deal but it’s* better than no deal (for which we are not prepared), and better than a second referendum i would say which would only open new wounds.

Remain isn't an option, (worse than that imo but have to be realistic, we lost the vote)

so given all that why the ideological purity from hard brexiters in parliament at this late stage? Surely they have to agree to compromise at some stage?

As it stands

💥Cabinet backs deal
💥Parliament rejects deal
💥Markets tank
💥Gilt yields rise

*Don't try this at home.

if that is remotely true (it may not be) then by being so inflexible the hard brexiters in parliament are increasing the likelihood of not getting it at all

Back to my hibernation.

Thanks Rich. If you could just post enough to keep me up to speed I would appreciate it.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #14964 on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »

As it stands

💥Cabinet backs deal
💥Parliament rejects deal
💥Markets tank
💥Gilt yields rise

*Don't try this at home.

Back to my hibernation.

Your contribution here is much appreciated and the prediction seems about right, although I suspect Mrs May will be on very shaky ground by the time anyone is pitching a Remain/No Deal Refendum.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14965 on: November 14, 2018, 01:00:48 PM »

I think a constitutional crisis is getting on to be a fair sure bet

Not that i understand all the ins and outs of the constitutional element, but if this is voted down then what is an option that allows things to go forward?

Here is Peston's excellent article on the subject https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/11/we-are-heading-towards-a-constitutional-crisis-on-brexit/

Amongst the many weaknesses on all sides the essential problem is that the Brexit campaigned for by the Leave campaign is undeliverable. Yet the "stubborn wing" won't yield an inch. The EU have at least given some ground on Ireland if i understand it correctly (will see later today)

so we are where we are

this is a bit harsh but i saw this, it's from James O'Brien the LBC presenter who battles with numpties of all persuasions on talk radio every day and occasionally i am masochist enough to submit to an hour of it

"There are only three camps now: people who understand that there is no 'deal' better than the terms of membership negotiated by Margaret Thatcher & John Major; people pretending not to understand this & people who genuinely don't understand this."

Meanwhile it is quite incredible that on an issue of the significance of Brexit both the Prime Minster and Leader of the Opposition have positions that are not supported by either the Cabinet or the Shadow Cabinet.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:14:48 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14966 on: November 14, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »

this is fantastic Marina Hyde who is just the best.

"My bit on Dominic Raab's geography for dummies, and another week in Brexit for the government of all the talentless"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/09/dominic-raab-brexit-government?CMP=share_btn_tw

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14967 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »

What Brexiteer Cabinet ministers fear https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7648706/cabinet-leavers-pm-confidence-brexit-deal-james-forsyth/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14968 on: November 14, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »

LOL

"Brexit has been 18 months of watching someone trying to haggle on prices with the automatic scanning machine at a Tesco checkout."

My eyes are open wide
MrDickie

View Profile
« Reply #14969 on: November 14, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »

Not sure if right area to post but I am thinking of switching my pension portfolio out of equities entirely and into cash until all of this is sorted.
I am 55 now and suddenly thinking about this sort of thing.  
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 996 997 [998] 999 1000 1001 1002 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: