blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 09:36:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272921 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 1113 1114 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2228206 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #16635 on: March 07, 2019, 11:14:16 AM »

QED
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16636 on: March 07, 2019, 11:16:58 AM »

With just a few days to go BOE governor Mark Carney now says Brexit would not be the disaster he and others predicted. What a shock. Would’ve been even better if this peach tin-related nonsense wasn’t dished out in the first place fella. People wanna talk about lies then look no further than the furiously back-tracking project fear mongers. Wp you guys. Couldn’t have weakened our negotiating position anymore effectively.

I thought the more interesting part of his article was the prediction that EU economies were going to suffer. Specifically he was quite scathing about the relative impact on the UK and the EU if they don’t get their act together in the financial markets.
Specifically, there will be a substantial added cost to EU businesses and consumers if no agreement is reached on derivatives contracts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/03/05/brussels-should-heed-mark-carney-act-now-eu-consumers-firms/

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #16637 on: March 07, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »

I dont agree with the death penalty for one primary reason, and that is i fundamentally believe no 1 human being or collection of human beings should be given the right/responsibility of deciding if another human should live or die.

In America i hear the phrase "pushing for the dealth penalty" and really makes me uneasy. Who actually decides too, do the jury or judge? To me personally that is just wrong.

Having said that, Adz puts a specific example forward and asks 'does this person deserve to live', and i agree 100% with him on NO.... and the fact he will be a burden to society is also ssomething a find frustrating. However its not a simple issue and not black and white and my feelings on my initial point outweigh this.

There is also a fair bit of data that suggests corporal punishment is not a deterrent to murder... but that's less relevant for me as there is actually very little aggressive method of deterring people from crime, outside of social incentives which lead to an entirely different discussion.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16638 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »

QED

“Argument is an intellectual process. Not the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says”

https://vimeo.com/25921512

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16639 on: March 07, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »

With just a few days to go BOE governor Mark Carney now says Brexit would not be the disaster he and others predicted. What a shock. Would’ve been even better if this peach tin-related nonsense wasn’t dished out in the first place fella. People wanna talk about lies then look no further than the furiously back-tracking project fear mongers. Wp you guys. Couldn’t have weakened our negotiating position anymore effectively.

People wanna talk about lies then look no further than your posts

More wealth of in depth analysis and well reason content.

Thanks Doubleup.

Se you in another 30 pages with more insightful contribution

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #16640 on: March 07, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »

Thanks Doubleup.

I've not contributed to the "debate" on this thread previously but I've had the joy of watching Carney's  full 90 minute appearance the other day  in front of the Economic Affairs Committee which included chunky sections on Brexit.
Based on what I've watched, the conclusion drawn by Mantis beggars belief.  

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:12:19 PM by Archer » Logged
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #16641 on: March 07, 2019, 07:11:36 PM »

Archer

the thread is now basically Mantis talking to himself so he is happy anyway

in other news Amber Rudd calls a black woman a coloured and still has a job

we really are back in 1950
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16642 on: March 07, 2019, 07:27:17 PM »

Thanks Doubleup.

I've not contributed to the "debate" on this thread previously but I've had the joy of watching Carney's  full 90 minute appearance the other day  in front of the Economic Affairs Committee which included chunky sections on Brexit.

It’s interesting what social media does to democracy. Imagine 10 people read what Mantis wrote and think it is roughly what Carney said. Now imagine half a million Manti (sic) think BBC HYS DM DE comments) It’s a sad time for anyone who likes true things.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #16643 on: March 07, 2019, 07:40:48 PM »

Archer

I know coloured is a long out dated word and people find it offensive - it was in common parlance for people of a certain age. It didn’t mean everyone that used it then was a racist.

I’ve listened to Amber Rudd and honestly don’t think she is a racist.

She seems extremely apologetic and embarrassed.  Does an inappropriate use of one word mean we should see her lose her job? If it does we are going to be sacking a hell of a lot of people when they make a genuine mistake?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:42:58 PM by RickBFA » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16644 on: March 07, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »

Archer

I know coloured is a long out dated word and people find it offensive - it was in common parlance for people of a certain age. It didn’t mean everyone that used it then was a racist.

She seems extremely apologetic and embarrassed.  Does an inappropriate use of one word mean we should see her lose her job? If it does we are going to be sacking a hell of a lot of people when they make a genuine mistake?

My mum is 82 and still says it every so often; I find it pretty jarring. 

It seems a bit odd; I am very surprised Amber Rudd said it, but it doesn't seem like something she should lose her job over. 

By contrast, I am not sure how Karen Bradley survived the last gaff, so I guess there must be every chance she survives this one.  And Chris Grayling still has a job too.

Amber Rudd looks pretty competent compared to those two.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #16645 on: March 07, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »

Thanks Doubleup.

It’s interesting what social media does to democracy. Imagine 10 people read what Mantis wrote and think it is roughly what Carney said. Now imagine half a million Manti (sic) think BBC HYS DM DE comments) It’s a sad time for anyone who likes true things.

Imagine if people read stuff and drew their own conclusions, imagine people thinking for themselves. Shudder.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16646 on: March 07, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »

Archer

My mum is 82 and still says it every so often; I find it pretty jarring. 

It seems a bit odd; I am very surprised Amber Rudd said it, but it doesn't seem like something she should lose her job over. 

By contrast, I am not sure how Karen Bradley survived the last gaff, so I guess there must be every chance she survives this one.  And Chris Grayling still has a job too.

Amber Rudd looks pretty competent compared to those two.

There we go, we can agree on stuff. Grin

Just ridic that someone thinks she should lose her job over this. Can no one ever make a simple faux pas any more?

Expect to sack someone for making a simple slip, compromise their livelihood, future, kids etc, but argue the toss about the DP for a cold blooded killer. There will be those on here that fall into this category....

PCism gone abso mad.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16647 on: March 07, 2019, 08:18:37 PM »

Archer

Agreed but what about the double standard. What would happen if Corbyn used a word that used to be in standard use and is now considered anti-Semitic? We’re not sure if Rudd is a racist (I do agree that she probably isn’t). Corbyn is a man who has devoted his life to fighting against all forms of racism.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16648 on: March 07, 2019, 08:20:50 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/07/life-expectancy-slumps-by-five-months

Life expectancy is falling again in the UK.   Expect it is more to do with the likes of Shamima Begum than Austerity...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16649 on: March 07, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/07/life-expectancy-slumps-by-five-months

Life expectancy is falling again in the UK.   Expect it is more to do with the likes of Shamima Begum than Austerity...

It would be good to see the same data for all equivalent countries. There’s scope for more analysis but it’s clear that austerity is a prolific killer.
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 1113 1114 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: