blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 1344 1345 [1346] 1347 1348 1349 1350 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197435 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20175 on: September 01, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »

Iain Duncan Smith “During the past week we have seen the biggest manufactured display of fake outrage I can remember”

Boris suspends total of 4 sitting days for parliament and comrade Corbyn calls for activists to “shut down” Britain’s cities, to occupy bridges and blockade roads. We see the usual protests by placard waving vegans and Boris compared to Hitler by the loony John McDonnell. Just lol.

#snowflakes

* suspends four currently scheduled sitting days and removes the option for MPs to vote in favour of sitting for a further 23 days. The extra bit obv significantly more impactful than the first as you well know  Wink

The occupy bit is obv pretty eyeroll

Precisely

The prime minister will lock the doors of parliament for five weeks in the critical run up to a No Deal Brexit

Now a Cabinet minister refuses to confirm the government will comply with the law, on Marr

anyone disturbed by the former point i saw described yesterday (in the times i think, their leader column) as "hysterical".

It is shocking how normalised this has become so quickly

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20176 on: September 01, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »

It took the parliamentary opposition over 3yrs to even define their position.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20177 on: September 01, 2019, 10:49:19 AM »

that's a different issue, and the opposition side in Parliament has been a shambles.

Cummings and Johnson are closing parliament beyond the typical prorogation for a few days before a Queens speech and exposed the reality they could care less about sovereignty or democracy which is why the people were on the streets fighting for their parliament and their democracy

At the demonstration I attended, there were a broad range of people including many leavers, but leavers who do not support no deal

Many (ok, several that i chatted to and i can't claim it to be wholly representative) were like me, happy to leave with a deal to respect the 2016 vote but huge opponents of no deal.

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #20178 on: September 01, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »

This comment by Professor Andrew Goddard, president of the Royal College of Physicians, in The Times is quite telling

Critical of rhetoric, this guy then uses rhetoric to scare people about no deal - where's his detail and evidence concerning exactly why we will run out of medicines in the event of no-deal

link to article https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/operation-yellowhammer-leaked-files-reveal-medicines-that-will-run-out-first-dzxc3kds7

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/23/medicines-will-not-run-no-deal-brexit-royal-college-says/
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20179 on: September 01, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »

The president of the RC of P himself

"we are not being honest as a country with the public about the potential risk of no deal when it comes to medicines"

that is as close as it comes to gospel, surely?

I go on about this as I am personally invested, and more worried than i would be otherwise, currently and more importantly (because what do i know, frankly) I have spoken to oncologists who are worried too

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #20180 on: September 01, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »

"we are not being honest as a country with the public about the potential risk of no deal when it comes to medicines"

I go on about this as I am personally invested, and more worried than i would be otherwise, currently and more importantly (because what do i know, frankly) I have spoken to oncologists who are worried too

Not necessarily, is he a remainer or leaver? Does he have access to the inner workings of a Pharma company?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20181 on: September 01, 2019, 11:47:56 AM »

Not necessarily, is he a remainer or leaver? Does he have access to the inner workings of a Pharma company?

the former, no deal rather than remain/leave is his concern. here is an article he wrote in may https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/brexit-wherever-next

the latter, i would assume he has very close relationships with the major suppliers of products his members use professionally

Why are we questioning such experts (broken record)? Surely his concerns are legitimate?

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20182 on: September 01, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »

that's a different issue, and the opposition side in Parliament has been a shambles.

Cummings and Johnson are closing parliament beyond the typical prorogation for a few days before a Queens speech and exposed the reality they could care less about sovereignty or democracy which is why the people were on the streets fighting for their parliament and their democracy

At the demonstration I attended, there were a broad range of people including many leavers, but leavers who do not support no deal

Many (ok, several that i chatted to and i can't claim it to be wholly representative) were like me, happy to leave with a deal to respect the 2016 vote but huge opponents of no deal.

Don’t agree it’s a different issue because the issue is a demand for more time. How effectively that luxury, which we’re fast running short of, has been used in recent times should be directly related to our willingness/acceptance to offer more of it.

We are both stranded on a desert island and every time I give you a cup of water it is tipped wastefully over your shoulder. Now we have very little water left you start crying for water, marching up and down chanting slogans about how precious water is?!? Decisive action and difficult decisions were absolutely required and now it’s arrived there’s complaints.

Just like the ongoing criticism is not having a no deal plan whilst obstructing no deal planning

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #20183 on: September 01, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »

the former, no deal rather than remain/leave is his concern. here is an article he wrote in may https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/brexit-wherever-next

the latter, i would assume he has very close relationships with the major suppliers of products his members use professionally

Why are we questioning such experts (broken record)? Surely his concerns are legitimate?

Why assume he has close relationships?

My experience of people in positions like that is the opposite, they don’t want to be seen to as being close to Pharma co’s

A relative of mine was president of one of the royal colleges a few years back, he is a remainer. If asked the question by the media what his views were (even if he didn’t really know) I know what his likely answer will be, and yes it would suit his view.

You naively assume that even ‘experts’ can’t be influenced by their own political agenda. I’m afraid you are wrong.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20184 on: September 01, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »

The government not only tipped water over their shoulder, but dug a hole to bury it in too

Calling an election then losing their majority meant being in hock to the DUP and the impossibility of a deal that was acceptable to the all of hard line Brexiteers, DUP and the EU.

Then there was no compromise from the former of those, the remain side acted on party lines and not in national interest (and both could have got May's deal through, and to my mind it was a terrible mistake not to) and it was only May/EU who compromised at all, to no effect

Complaints about no deal on the remain side are not a recent thing either

How exactly has no deal planning been obstructed? There has been very little no deal planning until recently, down to our government no one else

The big picture, bigger than Brexit, is that we are a Parliamentary democracy. Brexit supporters have gone on for years about sovereignty and democracy and yet when it comes to trying to push any sort of Brexit over the line are prepared to subvert both to do so

Its complete hypocrisy, and shows the underlying tenets of the leave campaign to be completely flawed too. People, some people, were thoroughly duped by disaster capitalists.

My eyes are open wide
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #20185 on: September 01, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »

Iain Duncan Smith “During the past week we have seen the biggest manufactured display of fake outrage I can remember”

Boris suspends total of 4 sitting days for parliament and comrade Corbyn calls for activists to “shut down” Britain’s cities, to occupy bridges and blockade roads. We see the usual protests by placard waving vegans and Boris compared to Hitler by the loony John McDonnell. Just lol.

#snowflakes

* suspends four currently scheduled sitting days and removes the option for MPs to vote in favour of sitting for a further 23 days. The extra bit obv significantly more impactful than the first as you well know  Wink

The occupy bit is obv pretty eyeroll

Precisely

The prime minister will lock the doors of parliament for five weeks in the critical run up to a No Deal Brexit

Now a Cabinet minister refuses to confirm the government will comply with the law, on Marr

anyone disturbed by the former point i saw described yesterday (in the times i think, their leader column) as "hysterical".

It is shocking how normalised this has become so quickly

The critical run up has been going for months...4 days/ 23 days.....does it really matter?

Let’s get on with the election and hope for some majority/ certainty.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20186 on: September 01, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »

It matters as it has come down to the wire.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of what has gone before (pass May's deal,m we are out now!), closing parliament (and having the party conferences, different issue) to force through a no deal to leave what may (knowing it can't get through parliament) isn't democracy in action is it?

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20187 on: September 01, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »

I don't think a professor and physician in a post like this is likely to be remotely expert in supply chain management. It's just not the role he has done or does. No real rationale to think of this as gospel. I'd hope it was at least some kind of informed opinion though, as would  be the Government advice.

Just read earlier posts - I don't think I'm a denier of expert opinions, more that I don't think there's a real reason to believe this guy is an expert on this issue, just as senior people in most businesses are not experts in all aspects of an operation - most are not short of opinions on every aspect of a business though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:59:34 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20188 on: September 01, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »

NEW: Retail industry rejects Michael Gove marr claim on No Deal shortages of fresh food.

“It is categorically untrue that the supply of fresh food will be unaffected under a no deal Brexit.

The retail industry has been crystal clear in its communications with Government over the past 36 months that the availability of fresh foods will be impacted as a result of checks and delays at the border. Indeed, the Government’s own assessments showed that the flow of goods through the channel crossings could be reduced by 40-60% from day 1, as would the “availability and choice” of some foods.

It is impossible to mitigate fully as neither retailers nor consumers can stockpile fresh foods..no deal Brexit in Oct would present worst of all worlds...Retailers preparing for Christmas, stretching already limited warehousing capacity, & UK importing majority of fresh food from EU”

British Retail Consortium spokesperson, saying industry has been clear for 3 years

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #20189 on: September 01, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »

NEW: Retail industry rejects Michael Gove marr claim on No Deal shortages of fresh food.

“It is categorically untrue that the supply of fresh food will be unaffected under a no deal Brexit.

The retail industry has been crystal clear in its communications with Government over the past 36 months that the availability of fresh foods will be impacted as a result of checks and delays at the border. Indeed, the Government’s own assessments showed that the flow of goods through the channel crossings could be reduced by 40-60% from day 1, as would the “availability and choice” of some foods.

It is impossible to mitigate fully as neither retailers nor consumers can stockpile fresh foods..no deal Brexit in Oct would present worst of all worlds...Retailers preparing for Christmas, stretching already limited warehousing capacity, & UK importing majority of fresh food from EU”

British Retail Consortium spokesperson, saying industry has been clear for 3 years

Yes we are aware there might be less choice of some items for a period of time, we’ve known this for at least 3 years, next please we don’t need to keep hearing the same stuff over and over.....
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 1344 1345 [1346] 1347 1348 1349 1350 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: