blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:35:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272586 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1394 1395 1396 1397 [1398] 1399 1400 1401 1402 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2195035 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20955 on: September 23, 2019, 01:14:35 PM »

The sober reality of Brexit once again showing it’s head as Thomas Cook look like going under, with Brexit being a major factor in it. 9,000 jobs going, 150,000 abroad and set to have a major impact on leisure industry.

Perhaps a little karma for some of those abroad who voted to leave, they can now see what their vote is doing.

This is a truly disgusting post.

Ruining families holidays is okay because its a  'little karma'

Brexit is really a tiny factor in this situation so I don't think anyone deserves to be stranded abroad or have to explain to their kids why they arent going on holiday whether they voted leave or remain.

Shame on you.

Here are some people who wanted TC to fail so that they made money.  That is disgusting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-23/thomas-cook-collapse-sets-up-250-million-hedge-fund-windfall?srnd=premium-europe

Depends on your interpretation - it could be viewed that those are people who think TC was going to fail anyway, what they 'want' is irrelevant they're predicting what they think is going to happen.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #20956 on: September 23, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »

In general, I think that derivatives should be limited to those with an "insurable interest".  They are simply gambling otherwise and increase risks to the economic system.  In addition in cases like this, where the collapse of a company is going to benefit certain parties (albeit I acknowledge that counterparties obviously suffer) there are incentives for corrupt practices. 
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20957 on: September 23, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »

And these idiots wonder why they can’t win an election?

‘Labour party members have voted to commit the party to integrate private schools into the state sector.

The motion calls for funds and properties held by private schools to be "redistributed democratically and fairly" to other schools’

I was gonna post this because much as I'm a just a working class, comprehensive attending wanna be left wing ish kinda person, t just seems an outlandish policy.

They also have a part which says that before then universities will only be able to admit the same proportion of private school pupils as the proportion of private school pupils there are all together.

While this would make an interesting redistribution of highly educated pupils into some of the worse universities it seems to have a bit of a flaw.

The proportion of private school pupils is about 7% but the proportion of university applicants from private schools is much higher (double maybe?). In other words if they put this policy in it would result in straight A pupils not being allowed to join any UK university because the university wouldn't be full but wouldn't be allowed to admit any more private school pupils.

It would be nice if education policy (from all sides) concentrated more on improving education rather than any other factor.
Totally agree with the last point. Just make the state sector great.

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20958 on: September 23, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »

At the weekend I saw a TV advert from the government about getting ready for Brexit on 31/10, about things you'd only have to do if UK leaves on that date with no deal.

The first public information broadcast predicated on the Government breaking the law, I think

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20959 on: September 23, 2019, 05:14:34 PM »

As much as the Labour school idea is idiotic beyond belief, it would be fun to watch a bunch of posh kids having to integrate into a state school

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20960 on: September 23, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »

Supreme Court decision 10am tomorrow. Very tough one to call indeed after watching parts of it

6-5 either way that it is justiciable, maybe and no idea what remedies if Miller wins

My eyes are open wide
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #20961 on: September 23, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »

The sober reality of Brexit once again showing it’s head as Thomas Cook look like going under, with Brexit being a major factor in it. 9,000 jobs going, 150,000 abroad and set to have a major impact on leisure industry.

Perhaps a little karma for some of those abroad who voted to leave, they can now see what their vote is doing.

Brexit is really a tiny factor in this situation so I don't think anyone deserves to be stranded abroad or have to explain to their kids why they arent going on holiday whether they voted leave or remain.

Shame on you.

Here are some people who wanted TC to fail so that they made money.  That is disgusting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-23/thomas-cook-collapse-sets-up-250-million-hedge-fund-windfall?srnd=premium-europe

Hedge Fund takes position in vanilla credit default swap.  Bloke on internet outraged.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #20962 on: September 23, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »

In general, I think that derivatives should be limited to those with an "insurable interest".  They are simply gambling otherwise and increase risks to the economic system.  In addition in cases like this, where the collapse of a company is going to benefit certain parties (albeit I acknowledge that counterparties obviously suffer) there are incentives for corrupt practices. 

That would be fraud.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #20963 on: September 23, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »

Jeez these guys know how to run an economy.....

‘Labour promises 32 hour week with no cut in pay’  
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20964 on: September 23, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »

Was thinking, Labour's policy on a second ref would be much more coherent if the promise was to bring back May's deal with no changes (it took 2 years and any Labour version would be so soft as to not be a genuine choice imo) versus remain. They would get out of the nonsensical idea of negotiate then campaign against and present a fairly fair choice to the electorate some years on. I might apply for Fisher's role when he goes

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20965 on: September 23, 2019, 06:43:24 PM »

A labour MP writes to the polhome editor, its not attributed, after today's vote shambles at conference

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20966 on: September 23, 2019, 06:44:03 PM »

Catching up on some of the Lab conference. Obviously loads of nonsense tends to detract from the decent stuff on social care for over 65s and a few other directional things.

One thing though, compared with the slick professionalism of the Blair (or even Kinnock) era, an audience that keeps breaking into childish chants ('Oh Jeremy Corbyn') just looks utterly ridiculous.

Hilarious that they didn't go to a card vote, just for appearances sake, on the remain motion.

Pretty ridic that constant protestations of democracy only go so far as party democracy. 'We will democratically decide to remove your democratic right to spend your money how you choose'.

How are they ever going to win ? No chance I'm afraid

Edit: wrote this before I saw the post above - think I might become a journo/commentator too, as well as take over from Fisher

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20967 on: September 23, 2019, 07:02:16 PM »

Shame on you.

Hedge Fund takes position in vanilla credit default swap.  Bloke on internet outraged.

Made me chortle

sola virtus nobilitat
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #20968 on: September 23, 2019, 07:06:29 PM »

That would be fraud.

Really? fraud? 

Well blow me down!

You seem a bright chap.  Has there ever been a case of fraud in the city?

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #20969 on: September 23, 2019, 07:09:55 PM »

It's hard to believe some of the stuff Labour are doing is actually serious and not a wind up.
Pages: 1 ... 1394 1395 1396 1397 [1398] 1399 1400 1401 1402 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: