blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 1425 1426 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197225 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #21315 on: October 09, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »

The world continues to go  too PC. Apprently there is such a thing as colourist, where people are discriminated against because the tone of the skin. It really is getting ridicilous.

That along with being gender neutral or non-binary or identifying as something you're not. You've got to wonder how far this kinda thing is going to go. We will soon be in a world where we can't call anyone he, she, male, female, black, white, ginger or brunette.

I don't know why I feel so compelled to respond to your posts!

There is nothing 'too PC' about colourism.

You think it is okay for someone to be treated as a lesser person because their skin is a few shades lighter?
Just because it is less talked about, or less common doesn't mean it is less of an issue, especially to those who suffer for it.

You are doing exactly what you accuse everyone else on here of.

Even Boris wouldn't stoop that low.

Again, isn't this just racism? I'm not sure I can see a difference between the two

No, black people with darker skins have said that they get more discriminated against than those with lighter skins.  For instance a company may include lots of people of colour in their adverts, films and TV programs but when you look you realise that there are only light skinned black, Indian and Chinese people.  I haven't done a study, but suspect the darker skinned footballers get more monkey chants etc.  It may be just random at times, but I think it is reasonable to assume that given some people are racist, then they are going to prefer people more similar to themselves than those that are most differenent.  

I am pretty sure many of those that complain about colourism have a genuine grievance.

Basically, it's just racism - just slightly more nuanced racism than the standard.

However, I would guess most(/,many?) of the people/organisations accused of it probably aren't being racist. The adverts without very dark skinned people are most likely because they didn't come forward to be included as extras for example.

I’d say not really, given that this attitude largely comes from the root countries of the person’s heritage where light skin = good/attractive and dark skin = bad/ugly. An indian person for example might discriminate on the basis of them being lighter/darker but they are not a different race.

Well that is colourism to me too, and I do think it is a widespread thing in many countries.  You go to Hong Kong for example and a good chunk of the comestics are for skin whitening, and many people carry umbrellas in the sun to avoid getting dark skin.  It probably goes hand in hand with racism, those who are more prejudiced against darker skin are more likely to be more prejudiced against people of different races.    

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21316 on: October 09, 2019, 09:47:58 AM »

Leave.EU finally might have found the bottom of the barrel.

They certainly did.

Poor taste, but thats how many of us see things.

We have simply asked to leave nicely and every barrier is being put in our way to do so.

Its pretty much a hostage situation and no one sees it.

We asked to leave but we had no plan for Northern Ireland.

The only people holding us hostage are our own government, we simply don't have a sensible plan to complete our request.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21317 on: October 09, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »

The world continues to go  too PC. Apprently there is such a thing as colourist, where people are discriminated against because the tone of the skin. It really is getting ridicilous.

That along with being gender neutral or non-binary or identifying as something you're not. You've got to wonder how far this kinda thing is going to go. We will soon be in a world where we can't call anyone he, she, male, female, black, white, ginger or brunette.

You think it is okay for someone to be treated as a lesser person because their skin is a few shades lighter?
Just because it is less talked about, or less common doesn't mean it is less of an issue, especially to those who suffer for it.

Again, isn't this just racism? I'm not sure I can see a difference between the two

No, black people with darker skins have said that they get more discriminated against than those with lighter skins.  For instance a company may include lots of people of colour in their adverts, films and TV programs but when you look you realise that there are only light skinned black, Indian and Chinese people.  I haven't done a study, but suspect the darker skinned footballers get more monkey chants etc.  It may be just random at times, but I think it is reasonable to assume that given some people are racist, then they are going to prefer people more similar to themselves than those that are most differenent.  

I am pretty sure many of those that complain about colourism have a genuine grievance.

Basically, it's just racism - just slightly more nuanced racism than the standard.

However, I would guess most(/,many?) of the people/organisations accused of it probably aren't being racist. The adverts without very dark skinned people are most likely because they didn't come forward to be included as extras for example.

I’d say not really, given that this attitude largely comes from the root countries of the person’s heritage where light skin = good/attractive and dark skin = bad/ugly. An indian person for example might discriminate on the basis of them being lighter/darker but they are not a different race.

One of the articles I read was much more based around darker skinned black males having a preference for lighter skinned black females, but then another was how lighter skinned black males can be discriminated against for not being black enough.

So I think it can work in both directions.

Same in large parts of the world mate, it’s not just about men it’s across the board. You should hear the conversations I do around the colour of my ‘half brown’ daughter by her mums family and friends, some people would be up in arms lol. It’s just completely normal for then to want to be white and they see nothing wrong with having the discussion. Not that it really bothers me, just makes me smile tbh.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21318 on: October 09, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »

Well that is colourism to me too, and I do think it is a widespread thing in many countries.  You go to Hong Kong for example and a good chunk of the comestics are for skin whitening, and many people carry umbrellas in the sun to avoid getting dark skin.  It probably goes hand in hand with racism, those who are more prejudiced against darker skin are more likely to be more prejudiced against people of different races.    

Never heard that actual term before but 100% it does exist. I’m off to meet one of my colleagues now who was surprised when I knew what ‘fair and lovely ‘ was a while back 
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21319 on: October 09, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »

Good luck changing that one. Pretty much half the world thinks like this.....

Half the world thought slavery was OK once.

The older I get, the better I was.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21320 on: October 09, 2019, 11:03:18 AM »

One of the articles I read was much more based around darker skinned black males having a preference for lighter skinned black females, but then another was how lighter skinned black males can be discriminated against for not being black enough.

Same in large parts of the world mate, it’s not just about men it’s across the board. You should hear the conversations I do around the colour of my ‘half brown’ daughter by her mums family and friends, some people would be up in arms lol. It’s just completely normal for then to want to be white and they see nothing wrong with having the discussion. Not that it really bothers me, just makes me smile tbh.

If no one is offended in your family and friends conversation you can say what you like as far as I am concerned.
Same with dark men being attracted to lighter women, I am not sure you can change what you find attractive.

It's the hateful bullying side of all of this that is obviously totally unacceptable, making someone feel worth less because of how they look, that is completely different to you having family banter!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #21321 on: October 09, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »

Lobby Hustings for next speaker still going on despite Rooney/Vardy row. This place is so detached from the real world.

Smiley
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21322 on: October 09, 2019, 12:38:41 PM »

Lobby Hustings for next speaker still going on despite Rooney/Vardy row. This place is so detached from the real world.

Smiley

https://twitter.com/robfuller91/status/1181869898399662080?s=09

Don't know what it's all about but this made me laugh

sola virtus nobilitat
bunnydas8888

View Profile
« Reply #21323 on: October 09, 2019, 01:01:26 PM »

If no one is offended in your family and friends conversation you can say what you like as far as I am concerned.
Same with dark men being attracted to lighter women, I am not sure you can change what you find attractive.

It's the hateful bullying side of all of this that is obviously totally unacceptable, making someone feel worth less because of how they look, that is completely different to you having family banter!

Cheers for the explanation guys, basically it's just a subset of racism overall in my head! But understand what it means now.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21324 on: October 09, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »

Leave.EU finally might have found the bottom of the barrel.

They certainly did.

Poor taste, but thats how many of us see things.

We have simply asked to leave nicely and every barrier is being put in our way to do so.

Its pretty much a hostage situation and no one sees it.

You see Germans as Krauts who push you around and you think you were involved in the winning of two world wars?

I think this is more typical of how actual vets see things.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #21325 on: October 09, 2019, 11:13:59 PM »

Its a shame when some people just come on here to pull apart the words of others more often than they put their neck out and express an opinion.

Are you saying that I thought I was in two world wars, bit daft even for you Tom.....

No, I meant that despite the poor taste of the message some of us do feel like the Germans feel they have the right to make decisions for all of us, as they always know best.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21326 on: October 09, 2019, 11:21:15 PM »

Its a shame when some people just come on here to pull apart the words of others more often than they put their neck out and express an opinion.

Are you saying that I thought I was in two world wars, bit daft even for you Tom.....

No, I meant that despite the poor taste of the message some of us do feel like the Germans feel they have the right to make decisions for all of us, as they always know best.

I think it’s fair to say Germany is an influential and dominant force within the EU.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21327 on: October 09, 2019, 11:24:22 PM »

I think it’s fair to say Germany is an influential and dominant force within the EU.

Might that be because as they are by far the largest economy in Europe, over 50% bigger than the UK, they are entitled to be the most influential and dominant force in the EU?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:34:04 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21328 on: October 09, 2019, 11:33:42 PM »

I like that you allow me extra leeway in the daftness stakes. I do work hard at it. 

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21329 on: October 09, 2019, 11:34:49 PM »

And one of my legs are both the same.

Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 1425 1426 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: