blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272621 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 603 604 605 606 [607] 608 609 610 611 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2200096 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9090 on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »

Five pollsters' predictions, all say Tory majority:

Survation 32,
YouGov 50,
Ipsos MORI 50+,
Opinium 60,
ComRes 90

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-01/u-k-pollsters-see-may-increasing-majority-even-as-lead-shrinks

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: June 02, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »

Corbyn vows no deals, no pacts if there is a hung parliament

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/01/corbyn-vows-no-deals-no-pacts-if-there-is-a-hung-parliament?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: June 02, 2017, 08:31:07 AM »

Here's how we think the result would look if the election were held today:

CON 362 (+32)
LAB 206 (-26)

Read more: http://britainelects.com/nowcast/

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: June 02, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »

My eyes are open wide
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: June 02, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »

interesting

Of the 76 seats where 18-24s outnumber over 65s, Labour already hold 57. The top two are Cambridge and Leeds NW.

Bizarrely, those are two constituencies that I've voted in previously!

Leeds NW is my current home, and it's high on the list due to it encompassing the Headingley area, which is student central for two universities in the city.  Given that, it was very surprising to see that the campaign leaflets received from the Labour challenger make no mention of Corbyn whatsoever.

The Tory effort seems to be invisible, as usual, and the nearby street placard count is probably 2/3 Lib Dem, 1/3 Labour (but I'm not in the student area, where it's probably very different).  The Labour effort seems low key to me, but this is probably because it's focused in other parts of the constituency.

I may volunteer a bit of time to campaigning for Greg Mulholland this weekend, which would be the first real opportunity I've had to do so.  Either way, it's not going to be a Tory seat on June 9th, but I'd much prefer it to still be a Lib Dem one.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: June 02, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »

blimey, look at the first paragraph...

labour's candidate in enfield north gets behind Jeremy. er......

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: June 02, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »

interesting

Of the 76 seats where 18-24s outnumber over 65s, Labour already hold 57. The top two are Cambridge and Leeds NW.

Leeds NW is my current home, and it's high on the list due to it encompassing the Headingley area, which is student central for two universities in the city.  Given that, it was very surprising to see that the campaign leaflets received from the Labour challenger make no mention of Corbyn whatsoever.

The Tory effort seems to be invisible, as usual, and the nearby street placard count is probably 2/3 Lib Dem, 1/3 Labour (but I'm not in the student area, where it's probably very different).  The Labour effort seems low key to me, but this is probably because it's focused in other parts of the constituency.

I may volunteer a bit of time to campaigning for Greg Mulholland this weekend, which would be the first real opportunity I've had to do so.  Either way, it's not going to be a Tory seat on June 9th, but I'd much prefer it to still be a Lib Dem one.

Clegg is assumed to be in trouble in sheffield as his constituency has a high and growing student population

tuition fees/u-turn/2010 coalition still hurts LDs and the labour manifesto promised to abolish them

same applies in Leeds NW?

--

by the by i saw an article yesterday that suggested the LDs could fall to two/three seats (twickenham,orkney, westmoreland were the ones mentioned)

My eyes are open wide
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: June 02, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »

Here's how we think the result would look if the election were held today:

CON 362 (+32)
LAB 206 (-26)

Read more: http://britainelects.com/nowcast/

Of all the forecasts I've seen, this probably matches my expectations pretty closely.

It's helpful that it has the projections included for the swing seats and from a quick scan of those I'm vaguely familiar with, the projection looks about right to me.

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9098 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »

blimey, look at the first paragraph...

labour's candidate in enfield north gets behind Jeremy. er......

Reminds me of when I would nervously ask girls out by starting with "I know you probably dont want to, but....."

Wasn't a proven winning strategy
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: June 02, 2017, 09:36:17 AM »

interesting

Clegg is assumed to be in trouble in sheffield as his constituency has a high and growing student population

tuition fees/u-turn/2010 coalition still hurts LDs and the labour manifesto promised to abolish them

--

by the by i saw an article yesterday that suggested the LDs could fall to two/three seats (twickenham,orkney, westmoreland were the ones mentioned)

The Britain Elects model you've just posted gives Labour a 20% change of taking Leeds NW, which feels about right at the moment (I'd have said the chance was pretty much zero at the start of the campaign).  It's also projecting Sheffield Hallam to stay Lib Dem (although less certain) and I really hope it does.  Watching Clegg on Question Time last night reminded me how good a politician he is (I'd still prefer him to be leading the Lib Dems).  He takes his own mistakes on the chin, unlike many, but will forever be tainted by the coalition/tuition fees thing.

Incidentally, the QT panel last night was pretty strong.  Clegg, Gardiner, and Robertson are at the higher end of their respective parties, in my eyes.  Davis is less toxic than many Tories, and actually engages in debate, rather than platitudes.  Suzanne Evans is less impressive, but at least benefits from not being Paul Nuttall.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: June 02, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »

Philip Gould on the impact of the polls in '92.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: June 02, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »

important and interesting

ed conway of sky

"Britain is heading towards a fiscal precipice and none of the parties wants to talk about it. "

or a paraphrase "another typical western election where people demand services they are not prepared to pay for, fuelling debt"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/make-a-choice-more-austerity-or-new-taxes-0lb8lngxt?shareToken=9437b36d266bdfea5d7006f3a5cb6a80  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:31:30 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9102 on: June 02, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »

Corbyn's tax and welfare plan almost as regressive as the Tories', because he won't unfreeze benefits (or might,think there have been four flip flops on this)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: June 02, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »

craig mckinlay,south thanet constituency MP beat farage 2015, charged in election expenses investigation

My eyes are open wide
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: June 02, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »

interesting

--

The Britain Elects model you've just posted gives Labour a 20% change of taking Leeds NW, which feels about right at the moment (I'd have said the chance was pretty much zero at the start of the campaign).  It's also projecting Sheffield Hallam to stay Lib Dem (although less certain) and I really hope it does.  Watching Clegg on Question Time last night reminded me how good a politician he is (I'd still prefer him to be leading the Lib Dems).  He takes his own mistakes on the chin, unlike many, but will forever be tainted by the coalition/tuition fees thing.

Incidentally, the QT panel last night was pretty strong.  Clegg, Gardiner, and Robertson are at the higher end of their respective parties, in my eyes.  Davis is less toxic than many Tories, and actually engages in debate, rather than platitudes.  Suzanne Evans is less impressive, but at least benefits from not being Paul Nuttall.

Good post.  Agree with all of it.  It was a top end edition of QT last night.
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 605 606 [607] 608 609 610 611 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: