blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:14:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272604 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197457 times)
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: June 25, 2016, 09:14:59 AM »

My parents are tilting the living shit out of me because they voted leave because  the country is being overrun by immigrants and they are taking away taxes they have paid over the last 50 years etc.

I haven't been able to articulate anything beyond this being bullshit, can anyone drop some knowledge on me so I can provide a counter argument?

They're taking a fair chunk of the pot themselves, with their state pensions that they'll draw for decades due to rising life expectancy now-a-days. Also, the older generation is costing the NHS a fortune, with longer life expediencies exacerbating this. My parents' generation (post-war baby boomers) really have had it sweet - free education, cheap houses/accessible social housing, jobs for life, gold-plated pensions...
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: June 25, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »

Am new to the forum and have just found out there are areas discussing matters other than poker...

Welcome Marky!

Increasing globalisation seems to be the natural direction of progressive change and social evolution, the EU referendum decision taken by UK voters seems greatly at odds with this natural direction of development.

Such an excellent point. I would have loved the EU to keep spreading further and further out, embracing more developing countries and creating a stable and safe environment for them to grow. Would it be so bad in the distant future if the EU managed to engulf Russia, or Africa, enabling peace to thrive and preventing opportunity for blood-thirsty dictators to reign? The less war there is the more money can be spent on tackling more important issues that the word faces over the next 100 years.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: June 25, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »

Ashcroft's 12,0000 strong on the day how thery voted poll

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: June 25, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »

you'd expect him to say this....might get to move to dublin or frankfurt though

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: June 25, 2016, 09:53:25 AM »

one scenario posted was as follows

UK gets recession

Boris becomes PM

Labour changes leader

General Election called

Public regrets Brexit

Labour pledges 2nd referendum.

Wins

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: June 25, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »

Corbyn looks like he will survive, the unions rowed in behind yesterday and Momentum is very pro and mobilising support

but swathes of the PLP is against that, here's Stephen Kinnock yesterday

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: June 25, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE

Some Labour MPs are in disbelief at the depth of Out support in communities next to Nissan, Tata, BMW etc plants reliant on EU markets.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: June 25, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »

yesterday

BREAKING: Mayor of Calais announces that she wants the Treaty of Le Touquet (allowing British border control in Calais) to be renegotiated.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: June 25, 2016, 09:56:26 AM »

Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson

"We've never said there is going to be some radical decline" in immigration, says Vote Leave man Dan Hannan. Wonder if voters felt that way.

now i must look out for some pro-brexit studff to balance it out. might just be me, but i don't see much of it. that journalist elite again!

My eyes are open wide
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: June 25, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure that whichever party puts a 2nd referendum into its manifesto will get elected.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: June 25, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »

Corbyn looks like he will survive, the unions rowed in behind yesterday and Momentum is very pro and mobilising support

but swathes of the PLP is against that, here's Stephen Kinnock yesterday

They have a referendum which shows how blindingly out of touch they are with their voters and then they choose to show nothing has changed by keeping their most unpopular leader ever in.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: June 25, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure that whichever party puts a 2nd referendum into its manifesto will get elected.

Problem is that the unelected drunkard Juncker wants us to move quickly and any election is likely too late?

Plus nobody is going to believe Corbyn after his half arsed performance in the weeks before the referendum, the tories aren't ever putting that in a manifesto, and the library demo are crippled.   Maybe the SNP should put up candidates outside Scotland??

Edit I realise he was elected, just not by the people he is lording it over.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:05:42 AM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: June 25, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »

one scenario posted was as follows

UK gets recession

Boris becomes PM

Labour changes leader

General Election called

Public regrets Brexit

Labour pledges 2nd referendum.

Wins

Doesn't the 5 fear fixed parliament act guard against this? 

In the wake of the Panama Papers scandal, a petition was created on the Parliamentary Petitions Page that called for a General Election after Prime Minister David Cameron revealed that he had had investments in an offshore trust.[7] After having passed the threshold of 100,000 signatures, the government response cited the Fixed Term Parliament Act to state that "no Government can call an early general election any more anyway"
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: June 25, 2016, 10:09:07 AM »

I love working with people of all nationalities, I have learned so much about different cultures and histories just by talking to these people. In the hospitality trade most of the staff are foreign due to the fact that the British feel it's a career 'beneath them' and believe they are better than minimum wage.

Here in Guernsey a company has to advertise a job locally for 2 weeks before they can advertise worldwide, we get zero applications from local people!

The vote is done rather than all the doom and gloom I believe the UK will become stronger for it, but that's just my opinion.

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: June 25, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »

The seemingly low opinion from people about our country is staggering. We are one of the most multi-cultural, diverse and tolerant countries in the world...yet we are 'racist'. We have just turned around to the whole world and stated we are open for business...yet we are 'inward looking'. We have just shown we believe in equality for all people...not just people from certain geographic areas. We have embraced every vote and counted all votes equally...yet people suggest when you reach a certain age your input shouldn't matter. Some hideous ideas and comments about Britain really, just the sort of attitude that will hold us back as we try and move forward.

Still ❤️ Mantis

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: