blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 503 504 505 506 [507] 508 509 510 511 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180565 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7590 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:06 AM »

good god what a mess lol.

Am i reading correctly, when it says "Britain must satisfy it's £50bn responsibility to the EU" does it mean, they want £50bn from us?

It would be interesting to ask everyone of the people who voted leave to see if they still stood by there vote after all this?

£50bn cash, no £350m a week saving as promised, prices of everything goes up, currency falls into the ground, lots of industries facing a decent crisis and you had to sit through a smug Nigel Farage speech...

£50-60bn estimated,yes

to be negotiated!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:53 AM »

Barnier says "no deal scenario" is a "distinct possibility" in pre-A50 FT piece

https://www.ft.com/content/fd5ebab0-10b7-11e7-a88c-50ba212dce4d

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:54 AM »

Corbyn has 15 months for a Labour recovery, says Unite's McCluskey

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/26/corbyn-has-15-months-for-a-labour-recovery-says-unites-mccluskey?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

My eyes are open wide
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: March 27, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »

Am i reading correctly, when it says "Britain must satisfy it's £50bn responsibility to the EU" does it mean, they want £50bn from us?

It would be interesting to ask everyone of the people who voted leave to see if they still stood by there vote after all this?

£50bn cash, no £350m a week saving as promised, prices of everything goes up, currency falls into the ground, lots of industries facing a decent crisis and you had to sit through a smug Nigel Farage speech...

£50-60bn estimated,yes

to be negotiated!

Wasn't mentioned by either party during the ref! David Cameron kinda phoned it home during the referendum didn't he, just assumed he'd win it no problem?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »

Sounds a huge number doesn't it?

Put it in the context of our entire economy. The uk government is £1.6 trillion in debt, the interest on that alone is about £40 billion, our deficit is about £20 billion and was as high as £100 billion per year. The banking crisis cost us nearly £1 trillion. So it's a bit like you or me having a £160k mortgage and deciding to borrow an extra £5k, would that panic you?

Speak many on the left and they would happily piss away far more than £50 billion on uk social issues.....
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: March 27, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »

Does anyone know if Scotland would have to pay a bill to leave the UK?

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: March 27, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »

Does anyone know if Scotland would have to pay a bill to leave the UK?

Yes we would build a wall and they would have to pay for it 
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: March 27, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »

Put it in the context of our entire economy. The uk government is £1.6 trillion in debt, the interest on that alone is about £40 billion, our deficit is about £20 billion and was as high as £100 billion per year. The banking crisis cost us nearly £1 trillion. So it's a bit like you or me having a £160k mortgage and deciding to borrow an extra £5k, would that panic you?

Speak many on the left and they would happily piss away far more than £50 billion on uk social issues.....

Yeah, good point, relatively speaking it's not a massive issue. Just that the whole £350m a week thing was super hyped up during the ref (immediately refuted following the victory) defo think someone could have chimed up with "we will have to pay £50bn if we leave btw" put into context that is £780 per UK population member!

Perhaps if they'd said the 17.1m people who voted out have to split the £50bn, so £2.9k each we'd have seen a different result Cheesy

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »

Yeah, good point, relatively speaking it's not a massive issue. Just that the whole £350m a week thing was super hyped up during the ref (immediately refuted following the victory) defo think someone could have chimed up with "we will have to pay £50bn if we leave btw" put into context that is £780 per UK population member!

Perhaps if they'd said the 17.1m people who voted out have to split the £50bn, so £2.9k each we'd have seen a different result Cheesy

It's money we would have had to pay anyway and was budgeted for in coming years. Basically they are chasing us for cash we committed to spending before the vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35943216
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: March 27, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »

You are completely wrong here.  We were at risk for £1 trillion, it clearly didn't cost us that much, or that would be most of the National debt.  And that is clearly nonsense.  Using an at risk number for total cost is like saying the insurer has lost £200k when you insure your house for that much. I don't know where we are now, but at one stage RBS had cost us £12 bn and may well have cost £20bn by now at a guess.   Lloyds was profitable last time I checked though was probably break even.   None of the other banks cost us much at all.   It isn't like we could get away without spending this money, as the econony would likely have been even more fecked without the intervention. 

£50 or £60 billion is still a huge number whichever way you look at it.   That 5k you talk about.  I know very few people who would just set fire to it for no benefit.   Running a near £100 bn deficit in a year is clearly a lot worse than £20bn.  That is just the start, there are going to be huge costs of Brexit on top of this sum.   The banking money saved us from financial meltdown, where is the benefit here?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: March 27, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »

You are completely wrong here.  We were at risk for £1 trillion, it clearly didn't cost us that much, or that would be most of the National debt.  And that is clearly nonsense.  Using an at risk number for total cost is like saying the insurer has lost £200k when you insure your house for that much. I don't know where we are now, but at one stage RBS had cost us £12 bn and may well have cost £20bn by now at a guess.   Lloyds was profitable last time I checked though was probably break even.   None of the other banks cost us much at all.   It isn't like we could get away without spending this money, as the econony would likely have been even more fecked without the intervention. 

£50 or £60 billion is still a huge number whichever way you look at it.   That 5k you talk about.  I know very few people who would just set fire to it for no benefit.   Running a near £100 bn deficit in a year is clearly a lot worse than £20bn.  That is just the start, there are going to be huge costs of Brexit on top of this sum.   The banking money saved us from financial meltdown, where is the benefit here?

Here are the numbers, I guess the word 'support' is what they use to define what you are referring to. Maybe the £124 billion further down the page is the correct number....

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/maintaining-the-financial-stability-of-uk-banks-update-on-the-support-schemes/

Setting fire to £5k for no benefit? I guess it depends which side of the argument you are on 
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: March 27, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »

The referendum was a huge piss up etc. People with no power to determine how money could be allocated could say anything they liked.  Obviously the people who believed a silly claim about The NHS receiving our total gross contribution  (regularly challenged and derided as fallacious) are more or less the same people who would have voted Brexit based on controlling immigration and 'getting our country back' oi oi. I don't think these voters are the types who would change their mind anyhoo.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: March 27, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »

Here are the numbers, I guess the word 'support' is what they use to define what you are referring to. Maybe the £124 billion further down the page is the correct number....

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/maintaining-the-financial-stability-of-uk-banks-update-on-the-support-schemes/

Setting fire to £5k for no benefit? I guess it depends which side of the argument you are on 

You need to look at the latest figures from 2016.

The current figure for bank support is about £85 billion.  More than half of that has been to RBS.  How much of that we get back depends on the bank's revovery and the price we can sell the shares for.  I guess the final bill is going to be £20 billion or so.

LBG, and the remnants of Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley still getting some support.  The £40bn left is going to run down and the final bill is going to be nearer £0 than £40bn.  They are very close to selling the last LBG shares, as far as I know.

On top of that there were costs of borrowing money to cover the bailout and in return the Government has received lots of fees etc from banks.  Overall the cost has been nowhere near the £1 trillion you claimed. 

£1 trillion would have been the cost if all the guarantees the Government gave had to be paid.  But  only a small proportion of debts become bad debts and the vast majority are repaid with a profit to the bank.  Obviously, it could have been a lot worse, but that doesn't excuse the people who still peddle these ridiculous figures.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: March 28, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »

Breaking News. Women have two legs

oddest front page i have seen for a while

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd