blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 670 671 672 673 [674] 675 676 677 678 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180623 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10095 on: June 14, 2017, 12:28:32 AM »

Tough one for universities innit.

I'm sure  big % of uni degrees are just a waste of money, but there is the chance to make a huge success of uni and everyone has the right to that experience.

Teachers get it so hard over this, truth is most teachers don't have a clue about how to get a job with a Geography degree - and why would they? No disrespect at all to teachers I think they are great and massively under-valued they are thrown into the deep end here and end up pushing some pre-made, generic agenda as opposed to offering good advice to individual kids.

Let's not forget the vast majority of 17-18yr olds dont have a clue about this stuff and just want to get pissed.

Arbboy's due diligence idea is a good one, this was over 10 yrs ago so IDK what it's like now but if that was built into the uni-application process that sounds like it would be a good tool.

Most importantly though... HI LONGY !!! 

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: June 14, 2017, 12:32:12 AM »

I'm sure  big % of uni degrees are just a waste of money, but there is the chance to make a huge success of uni and everyone has the right to that experience.

Teachers get it so hard over this, truth is most teachers don't have a clue about how to get a job with a Geography degree - and why would they? No disrespect at all to teachers I think they are great and massively under-valued they are thrown into the deep end here and end up pushing some pre-made, generic agenda as opposed to offering good advice to individual kids.

Let's not forget the vast majority of 17-18yr olds dont have a clue about this stuff and just want to get pissed.

Arbboy's due diligence idea is a good one, this was over 10 yrs ago so IDK what it's like now but if that was built into the uni-application process that sounds like it would be a good tool.

I think this will become Tory policy. If you get 10 points (do you still get points for grades at Alevel?) or whatever at A Level, you get free tuition fees and a maintenance grant at university.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: June 14, 2017, 12:50:39 AM »

That wasn't what I was thinking from what arbboy wrote Kieth.

I was thinking more that part of the (ucas?) process is you present some sort of due dilligence on the un i you're going to, the field you're studying and what sort of prospects you believe will yield from it.

IDK anythign about this stuff though, so pretty unqualified to even type on a gambling forum about it! Any teachers on Blonde? would be interesting to hear views?

neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10098 on: June 14, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »

It is going to take a talented politician to bring the old and young back together, Brexit changed everything.

Click to see full-size image.
]

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10099 on: June 14, 2017, 07:14:59 AM »

It is going to take a talented politician to bring the old and young back together, Brexit changed everything.

Click to see full-size image.
]

Just give it time, we're getting new old people and new young people.

The older I get, the better I was.
buffyslayer1

View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: June 14, 2017, 07:49:16 AM »

I was thinking more that part of the (ucas?) process is you present some sort of due dilligence on the un i you're going to, the field you're studying and what sort of prospects you believe will yield from it.

IDK anythign about this stuff though, so pretty unqualified to even type on a gambling forum about it! Any teachers on Blonde? would be interesting to hear views?

Not a bad idea at least it would force the education system to think about what they are pushing people into.
Like someone else said at 18 it's dam hard to be making life defining choices. idk about you lot but at 18 I justed wanted to chase girls and have some beers.

To be honest I would like to see more support for practical based skills degrees.
Like having the bursaries for nurses was a great idea. Made it a much more appealing choice for people and supported them in a career that benefits all.
Removing that was a terrible move from the government.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: June 14, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »

I see from the news that JC was given a one minute standing ovation from his Labour colleagues in Parliament today, many of whom wanted him out last year saying he wasn't fit for purpose.

Nice to know we can add hypocrisy to the list of Labour MPs qualities that will make things better for us all...... Wink

Why is someone admitting they were wrong hypocrisy?

If Theresa May had admitted she was wrong over fox hunting, dementia tax and hard Brexit she might have woin a majority.

There are lots not admitting anything.

But they aren't necessarily wrong the ones who don't think he's fit to lead.  Shameless, self preserved yes but Labour never won anything they are still 50 seats behind.

This annoys me actually. The press always dive in about u turns, I have no problem with them. Sometimes you need to reconsider and change things, that's reality and a good way to do things necause nobody is perfect,  just lay out the reasons why you have reconsidered x and it's cool if the reason is valid.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »

I hear ya, for me it was sort of implied that not going to Uni would basically be dropping out of school, no other options were really presented and I know a good whack of my friends never even considered alternative was viable. Uni is fantastic so not knocking it but it's expensive to put someone through uni and if they are just going for the sake of it...could defo save some money and give a better experience to the student.

Easy to say isn't it, how inefficient everything is sat on my sofa.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: June 14, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

I'd reduce the number of uni places but also reduce the fees and make it free for the poorest 20% or whatever. The amount of clueless 'educated' clowns we are interviewing these days for jobs has gone through the roof, no amount of education is going to get them a job in the corporate world, they would be far better off learning a trade, their expectations will never be met just because they have a degree.

It's right the numbers of people going to uni have gone up since my day, but far too many people are going now, we need to find the happy medium imo....

Also don't get me started about what a bunch of snowflakes a lot of them are.......that's a totally separate rant  Folded Arms
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: June 14, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »

Not a bad idea at least it would force the education system to think about what they are pushing people into.
Like someone else said at 18 it's dam hard to be making life defining choices. idk about you lot but at 18 I justed wanted to chase girls and have some beers.

To be honest I would like to see more support for practical based skills degrees.
Like having the bursaries for nurses was a great idea. Made it a much more appealing choice for people and supported them in a career that benefits all.

Some degrees should be free, nursing being the prime example, just base it on needs...
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: June 14, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »

I'd reduce the number of uni places but also reduce the fees and make it free for the poorest 20% or whatever. The amount of clueless 'educated' clowns we are interviewing these days for jobs has gone through the roof, no amount of education is going to get them a job in the corporate world, they would be far better off learning a trade, their expectations will never be met just because they have a degree.

It's right the numbers of people going to uni have gone up since my day, but far too many people are going now, we need to find the happy medium imo....

Also don't get me started about what a bunch of snowflakes a lot of them are.......that's a totally separate rant  Folded Arms

Hi Woodsey, seperate point, what do you think or most graduates and students??

Tongue

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: June 14, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »

Sorry mate don't fully understand your Q?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: June 14, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »

Sorry mate don't fully understand your Q?

Strongly suspect it was rhetorical and he is just playing Woodsey bingo.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: June 14, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »

Some degrees should be free, nursing being the prime example, just base it on needs...

I'd do this for nursing/doctors/dentistry etc so long as they were working in the NHS.  As soon as they step outside the NHS and go private or leave the country I'd hammer them with the student loans plus a premium.

A friend of my Mrs is a hospital doctor just now with a 5 year plan to get to consultant and as soon as that is achieved is off to Dubai.  Apparently they hire NHS consultants pay them a silly basic provide them with a car and housing.  All along the NHS has covered their rise to this level. 

If they go private in the UK but still do NHS work I would taper how much they pay back. 

I personally wish I never went to Uni, saddled with debt, never completed my degree, probably held me back for a while as I resented paying the student loan back.  I was given terrible advice from an "education and careers advisor" at the age of 16.  Went to Uni 3 months after my 17th Birthday and I wasn't ready for it.  Struggled for 2 years, was miserable and drunk most of the time.  Some of the guys in my year at school went and got a trade and some of them are earning stupid money for being as thick as 2 short planks. 

Now at the age of 36 I am toying with returning to Education for the correct reasons. 
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: June 14, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »

I'd do this for nursing/doctors/dentistry etc so long as they were working in the NHS.  As soon as they step outside the NHS and go private or leave the country I'd hammer them with the student loans plus a premium.

A friend of my Mrs is a hospital doctor just now with a 5 year plan to get to consultant and as soon as that is achieved is off to Dubai.  Apparently they hire NHS consultants pay them a silly basic provide them with a car and housing.  All along the NHS has covered their rise to this level. 

If they go private in the UK but still do NHS work I would taper how much they pay back. 

I personally wish I never went to Uni, saddled with debt, never completed my degree, probably held me back for a while as I resented paying the student loan back.  I was given terrible advice from an "education and careers advisor" at the age of 16.  Went to Uni 3 months after my 17th Birthday and I wasn't ready for it.  Struggled for 2 years, was miserable and drunk most of the time.  Some of the guys in my year at school went and got a trade and some of them are earning stupid money for being as thick as 2 short planks. 

Now at the age of 36 I am toying with returning to Education for the correct reasons. 

They're earning stupid money for having saleable skills that are in demand..sounds the opposite of thick to me

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 672 673 [674] 675 676 677 678 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: